Law Students studying through UNE

Kerry-Lea

Hi All

I have just been accepted for next semester for Admin and Property.

Would love to start a support base for past and present students where we can swop ideas, notes (and case summaries I hope!) and maybe even get together for some pre-exam study sessions. I'm sure there are loads of 2nd hand text books floating around...

I finished my LLB through Unisa last year, so distance learning is not really foreign to me, but I also realised how useful a support system can be and was very lucky to have a small but amazing study group.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Alternatively - if you have already studied through UNE please let us have your comments... Is the material posted to you or can you download it? Is there access to past papers? Does anyone have any text books to sell?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kerry-Lea

I was excepted for prop law at UNE today. Now the big question - to study or not??? Maybe I should reconsider and wait until I am in Australia?

Hey Kwikkie - as I said previously - I have decided to wait.

I have had a re-think and its hellishly expensive and we just dont have that kind of cash lying around

However, - I only got my llb last year, so have a "succssful" (haha) career in HR. I have the option of working in HR when we arrive and doing the llb conversion part time which is great. I would think that if you have been lawyering all along and need to lawyer as soon as you get there to earn an income, its worth the 'investment' of doing the exams asap - ie from SA.

Perhaps there are other legal boffs out there than can contribute to our dilemma?

Hi there

I am currently still busy with my LLB. What is needed in Aus for the conversion? And where do you do it?

Any advise will be appreciated

Lilo

Hi Lilo

Once you have your degree, you have to apply in the Australian state in which you want to practice for an assessment of your qualification. they will tell you what subjects you need to study further. (Yes - you WILL need to study further.)

If you apply in NSW (rumour has it, the easiest route), you will have to do at least Equity, Aus Constitutional, Admin, Real Property and Professional Ethics.

There are two aspects to the recognition - first academic and the other practical.

Once you have had your degree assessed and done the necessary "bridging courses", you will qualify on the academic side.

If you have done articles / admitted etc here, you can apply for exemption from the practical side. If not, (like me) you will have to undergo practical legal training in aus.

You will then have met the requirements and can be admitted.

Only once admitted IN Australia can you claim the 60 points if you are the main applicant on a 175 visa.

I have attached some info here.

Once you have your Unisa degree, you can chose to do the NSW subjects by correspondence while still in SA through the uni of New England - contact Jackie Welch. I'm not sure if you can do them before completion of your Unisa degree - but since they are non-award this may be an option if you're interested (ie do them at the same time as your LLB)

Jackie:

+27 (0) 11 731 7322

+ 27 (0) 82 412 9903

fax2email: 0866160890

Main switchboard +27(0) 11 731 7300

http://www.kingsmead.co.za

jwelch@kingsmead.co.za

- she is fantastic.

BUT - its very expensive - at LEAST R10 000,00 per subject - which is why I've decided to wait.

apparently - even if you are admitted in NSW, you can still practice anywhere in Aus.

If anyone else has any info that could help this - please share :)

INFORMATION_REGARDING_AUSTRALIAN_LAW_UPGRADE_THROUGH_NEW_SOUTH_WALES_2008.doc

Edited by Kerry-Lea

My husband enrolled for two subjects this semester. He finished the last exam this week. Then he still has one subject to do next semester. He is impressed with the service from UNE, you can even download all audio from the actual lectures. The textbooks that he had to buy was expensive, but it helped him alot. He also had to do two assignments, which he passed :)

Goodluck to all of you! It is an expensive and difficult road, but I'm sure it is well worth it! :ilikeit:

It is a lot of money hey. I still have a long way to go will first finish degree then do all the extra's. My husband is the main applicant so it doesn't effect me at this stage.

thanks very much for the info :ilikeit:

Lilo

Hi Katy

Well done to your hubby - that is great news. I agree - the service from UNE is fantastic - can't fault it and Unisa could learn a thing or two from them, for sure!

Let us know how you are going -

Hubby should offer up his text books for sale 2nd hand on this site - i'm sure they'll be snapped up! Ask him to keep all his notes etc as well - i'm sure there are others who will find them useful

Hi Lilo

I have some updates on NSW Legal from Jackie. Duno how to attach it here. PM me and I will send it to you. Jackie is really really helpfull.

I am still suffering over the decision. Will have to make up my mind soon.

Die van julle wat dit oorweeg om in Queensland te vestig kan gerus ook QUT in Brisbane oorweeg. Dit kom maar op dieselfde neer as UNE wat inhoud, kostes, vakke ens betref. Ek hoef net 4 vakke te gedoen het - property law, constitutional law, equity en adminitrative law.

Ek kan wel se dat ek die studies in OZ makliker gevind het as in SA. Al die vakke word as semester kursusse aangebied en dis oop boek toetse. As jy bloot deur al die online lesings luister en goeie notas daarvan maak sal jy maklik deurkom.

Die pryse gaan nie goedkoper word nie, so klim in en kry dit agter die rug. Hier is ongelooflik baie werk in die regsberoep. As permanent residence kry jy afslag op die kostes.

Sterkte en groetnis

HI A de Zud!

Thanks so much for that - we are planning on settling in Queensland and I wasnt aware there was a distance learning option there!

did you do your studies in SA?

Unfortunaly - they re-did the whole law accreditation thing in May and there are therefore more subjects to do now. when did you do yours?

I know its not getting any cheaper - but I think the savings we will get once PR's will be worth wait - do you agree?

I'm SO happy to have found a Qsld lawyer! :ilikeit:

(cant your firm sponsor me in on a job? I make great coffee and am happy to answer phones, fax and file for slave wages until I get all this behind me :blush:)

Hi All,

My husband the conversion exams through UNE and College of Law in 2006. It was definitely worth it, but hard work. Especially doing by distance whilst still working full-time. Jackie, UNE and College of Law is brilliant!!!

You can have a look at Skills assessment for Legal Professionals for more information, but please beware of the date when it was posted. My husband had to do 3 academic subjects (through UNE) and 4 practical legal subjects (through College of Law). I believe that NSW gets more strict with foreign lawyers... and rules might have changed...

As for the Queensland conversion exams... Someone here in Queensland was recently told that she would have to complete 10 subjects for the conversion. Just bear in mind that everyone’s circumstances are different... Some have more post admission experience etc.

Once you admitted as a solicitor in Australia, you will be able to apply for Permanent Residency. We were very fortunate, as my husband got sponsored by his employer in Brisbane, which does not really happen with lawyers unless you are a patent / trademark lawyer.

Good luck with the studies.

Lovies, Pippa! X

Pippa this is completely off the topic but I notice the quote by Pablo Picasso in your signature block and see that you are in Brisbane - have you been to the Picasso exhibition which is currently showing at the Qld art gallery?

Sorry to hijack, I just couldn't resist. Would give my two front teeth to see that exhibition! Must keep an eye for specials on flights between Brisbane and Canberra...

Hi Kurkprop,

Pippa this is completely off the topic but I notice the quote by Pablo Picasso in your signature block and see that you are in Brisbane - have you been to the Picasso exhibition which is currently showing at the Qld art gallery?

Sorry to hijack, I just couldn't resist. Would give my two front teeth to see that exhibition! Must keep an eye for specials on flights between Brisbane and Canberra...

We are moving to Melbourne in 2 weeks' time, so hopefully we will get time to go and see it before we leave. My one friend went to see it and she says it is fantastic!

Ciao!

HI A de Zud!

Thanks so much for that - we are planning on settling in Queensland and I wasnt aware there was a distance learning option there!

did you do your studies in SA?

Unfortunaly - they re-did the whole law accreditation thing in May and there are therefore more subjects to do now. when did you do yours?

I know its not getting any cheaper - but I think the savings we will get once PR's will be worth wait - do you agree?

I'm SO happy to have found a Qsld lawyer! :rolleyes:

(cant your firm sponsor me in on a job? I make great coffee and am happy to answer phones, fax and file for slave wages until I get all this behind me <_<)

Ek het my vakke in 2006 gedoen. As jy reeds praktiseer het, kry jy baie vakke af. Enige persoon met so 5-6 jaar ondervinding behoort regtig nie meer as 4 vakke te doen nie.

Die probleem met die regsberoep is om net eers in OZ te kan inkom, as jy eers hier is, sal jy nie sukkel om werk te kry nie. Hulle kort baie mense in die regsberoep.

Hi Kerri-Lea,

I'm also enrolled for Property Law next semester. I did Equity and Trusts this semester and wrote the exam last week (holding thumbs).

You should have gotten your study guide by now (and if not, it should reach you by post before the end of the week) which explains everything. Most of the material is available online - even audio lectures that you download to listen to on your iPod! You can even download the cases online (with a little bit of searching), and the past exam papers are also posted. and On the website there is a class list from which you can see which fellow students live in your area, but I saw last night that the new semester's courses are not yet accessible.

I have excellent Prop Law summaries from a Jo'burg attorney which I'll PM to you. I understood from some of the other students which I met at the exam in Johannesburg that Property Law is not as tough as Equity and Trusts (which is very foreign to our Roman Dutch law).

Have you submitted your applications for exemption yet? I suggest that you get going with that before the semester starts, because it can take quite a bit of time if you want to do it properly. Once you know how many courses you have to do, you can also plan your studies around the academic and practical subjects.

Greetings all,

I am also enrolled for property law this semester! I already have a friend here in PE that will be taking the course with me. Almost done with all the docs for the assessment, just don’t know how in depth I must go with the work experience – I have 7 years of general practice experience that is already running into quite a few pages... Rather too much than too little I suppose.

Good to hear there are a few of us in the same boat. Keep in touch

Heine

Well, as you see from post #3, I have decided to wait until I'm in Aus to do the studies. I just really cant afford it right now :(.

BUT - if all the stuff is downloadable, it would be great if you could send me what you have any way?

No reason why I cant get a start on the studying side in the meantime :)

Hallo Heine,

Ja, sit liewer te veel as te min in - my aansoek vir praktiese vrystelling was 34 bladsye, en ek moet in elk geval 5 praktiese vakke doen. :blink:

Hey Bees, thanx for the advice - they recon you should staple the application with a single staple in the top left corner.... better start looking for a mother of a stapler!!! lol

how long were you in practice for? Which subjects did they make you do? Sorry for all the questions, but as they say, knowledge is power.... Not intending to pry

Ek moet Constitutional Law en Property Law as akademiese vakke doen, en dan, behalwe vir die standaard Accounting Ethics & Prof. Responsibility (glo dit as jy wil) ook nog Property Law Practice, Commercial and Corporate Practice, en een van drie keusevakke – ek dink ek gaan Environmental Law doen. DIT nadat ek ‘n 34-bladsye verhandeling ingestuur het waarin ek my eie stert prys! My LPAB-goed was reeds in Maart in, maar dit lyk my hulle het al so met een oog op die nuwe reels begin assess. Daar is mense met heelwat minder ondervinding as ek wat laasjaar ingedien het, en net twee akademiese vakke hoef te doen, en die standaard twee praktiese vakke. Ek was effens suur, maar as ‘n mens wil trek, moet jy maar maak soos die mense sê! Ek moet seker dankbaar wees vir die vyf wat ek wel afgekry het.

Die praktiese vakke is kort kursusse, en ek het vir Ethics en Accounting ingeskryf om in Julie en September klaar te maak.

Beste Bees,

Ek moet Constitutional Law en Property Law as akademiese vakke doen, en dan, behalwe vir die standaard Accounting Ethics & Prof. Responsibility (glo dit as jy wil) ook nog Property Law Practice, Commercial and Corporate Practice, en een van drie keusevakke – ek dink ek gaan Environmental Law doen.

Vir akademies moet my man dieselfde gedoen het as jy, maar ook nog Equity & Trusts. Vir prakties moet sy presies dieselfde as jy gedoen het (die 4 vakke), maar darem nie 'n keuse vak nie. Lyk my dit word al hoe moeiliker... Ek dink Environmental Law is 'n goeie keuse. Sterkte!

Groete, Pippa! X