Don't go to Perth = Article in Beeld today 17/03/2008

Legalbuff

Hi all,

I do agree that he had no place to "tell us to stay" and that we should decide for ourselves. As I woke up this morning, the power was out and I just smiled thinking about this shining my light thing. So I took my flashlight and see if it would start the kettle... No luck, aparent I need more light then to make my little one a bottle... <_<

I would like to comment that people like dominees and other social professions are supposed to support and encourage, and maybe he wants to encourage those that are not sure to do something rather than complaining... I was taught running away is not an answer, but you can't stand and fight if it is not a fair fight!!!

People need to hear that it is ok to stay and try, and we need to hear that it is ok to leave and shine elsewhere. It is just far more in your face when someone that is supposed to support you critise you. We are used to the government doing this, not our churches.

Ek kannie my liggie laat skyn nie, dis ons beurt vir "load shedding". Dit reen buite, dis koud en die geraas van die generator maak my sommer morbied.

Die probleem met meeste Suid Afrikaners is dat niemand n liggie wil sien skyn oor n ander nie.

" As ek ongelukkig is moet almal ongelukkig wees, en as ek gelukkig is moet almal ongelukkig wees"

Jammer predikant ek stem nie saam met jou nie!!, die wat oor gaan, voorspoed, en die wat bly, sterkte!

Hi All

I am tired of people deciding what other people should be doing with their own lives. If you choose to stay, great, it is your choice. I have decided to do all I can to go and we are waiting for our visas. It wasnt an easy desicion and it was probably the most difficult thing I have had to do in my life till now (which is quite some time). We have decided to associate with people who are striving for a better future for themselves and not those who choose to drag their pasts around with them. This , I think , improves your chances of making it because people who look to the future are optomists. Nuff said.

Onthou julle daai storie van die tannie wat tydens 'n vloed bo-op 'n huis se dak vasgekeer was en drie keer het 'n reddingsboot hulp aangebied, dan antwoord die tannie: "Nee, dankie... ek wag vir die Here, Hy sal my red" . Lang storie kort... sy verdrink toe en toe sy by die Hemel kom vra sy vir die Liewe Vader hoekom Hy haar dan nie kom red het nie. SY antwoord aan haar: "My kind, Ek het dan drie keer 'n uitkoms vir jou gestuur!!"

Same story, different "tannie"!

Guest natalie3

Yebo suidwes..thats the same as the man in the flood story..problem is that some people see it as "a little storm that will pass"..

Again,,i would not be so defensive of my decision to leave if "people" would just shut their pie-holes about me leaving!..i dont understand it..its like they need to attack my decision (and last time i checked its a free world..well..mostly)..in order to justify their own decision to stay..

And the light once again didnt shine enough to make my baby's pap this morning..nor to warm her bottle...

I really wonder what the women with small babies do when the power is out..and now with winter coming...ag never mind..what u say we all pack up and go to oz hey??? :blush:

We've just landed in Perth - two and a half weeks ago.

And we do not miss the old dominee at all!

This place is so civilised. We went for a walk in King's Park this afternoon after work - everybody greeted us. We feel human again. Respect, honesty and dignity is strong here.

The other day we took the train to Freo and the ticket machine did not work. arriving at Freemantle I walked up to the lady and offered her the fare - she took the money, walked with us to a ticket vending machine, bought the two tickets for us and bid us a good day. All the officials are extremely helpful and friendly.

My great-grandfather was a dominee (Gereformeerde Kerk nogal). He moved to SA from the Netherlands. I feel that the time came for us to move on, (just as he decided to relocate), we did our bit in SA but it was easier to find work in Oz. So we left. No regrets.

The other expats here talk about the 'steam roller' - it hits you after a few months when you doubt you've made the right call. At the moment my wife and I feel absolutely great about the move. No steam roller yet!

We miss our family and friends. Skype is great, e-mails work fine, facebook is cool, MXit works too. And they must visit.

It felt very final to buy that one-way ticket. So we bought return tickets (almost the same price). So we'll have a holiday in Seffrika later this year.

I think one has a God-given duty on earth, and one can fulfill that duty anywhere. My identity is not influenced by the colour of the passport in my pocket. Nor is my religious views. But I also have a duty as a husband and a father. And that duty is fulfilled far better here - we are preparing for the second half of our lives, we are looking many years ahead..

Enough philosophying for now...

B

Edited by BriteBlue

At the risk of being accused of blasphemy: I sincerely doubt God spoke to this preacher personally and told him to tell everyone that people emigrating is A Very Bad Thing.

I'm not religious at all, but I've heard of a proverb along the lines of "God helps those who help themselves". i.e. if you make no effort to dig yourself out of the hole you're in, then don't sit in there and whine about it.

Maybe I can shine a little light onto SA from Australia, God knows SA needs it with all the power failures. And then maybe a few others will see the light and get out before it's too late for them.

Hello julle. Ek het die laaste 2 dae baie kommentaar gehoor en gesien in koerante en op die site oor Ds Mostert en wat hy gese het. My vraag is, was enige van julle by die diens om te hoor wat hy gese het. Ek was daar. Hy het wel gepraat oor jou liggie en Perth en Melbourne en ander 1ste wereld lande maar soos gewoonlik het die koerante dit weer HEELTEMAL uit konteks gepubliseer. Hy was nie verkeerd in wat hy gese het nie. So as jy nie by die diens was nie, moet nie kritiseer oor sy preek nie. Vind eers uit waaroor dit gegaan het en dan kan jy iets oor hom en sy kollekte en sy gemeente (ons is nie eers in daardie spesifieke gemeente nie) en die Here se. Ek het net weereens gesien hoe die koerante een sinnetjie so kan opblaas dat dit 'n hele land in rep en roer het. Dis eintlik skandelik.

Hi Andrea,

I appreciate the fact that certain things may have been taken out of context. Would you be willing to tell us what the context actually was then?

Hi Andrea,

I appreciate the fact that certain things may have been taken out of context. Would you be willing to tell us what the context actually was then?

Hi Pygmalion

The whole sermon was for the men. (It was the Daniel Conference Friday to Sunday just for men but on Sunday the woman could join and the normal "gemeentelede")It was about the way to treat and love your wife and children, honouring God, letting your light (christenskap) shine in life and how you can make a difference in your own and others lives.

He said that "some people are taking their light to Perth, etc and others to countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt etc" . He was talking about Christianity, where you can make a difference. There is many other countries where we as Christians are needed and his words were that Perth etc already have enough lights and that there are other places that needed "The light". ----This part was only a very small part of the shining light part.

(I hope I'm not making this issue worse, but this is more or less what it was all about). I'm just explaining the part of Perth and light. This was only a very small part of whole sermon.

Hope it makes sense. I'm not very good at repeating things and this just made me angry when I saw that the media just took one line and blew it up.

We are also emmigrating (if all goes well) and I am not judging him in any way because he had a message for the people that was there. I believe that. Fortunately or even unfortunately the whole sermon can't be printed but it really wasn't as bad as everybody is saying.

Net om by Andrea aan te sluit...

ek was ook by die diens en het dit presies soos sy ervaar.

Ek dink ook dat hy baie spesifiek met die mense gepraat het wat agterbly en om een of ander rede nie KAN emigreer nie. Hy moet die mense wat agterbly gemotveerd hou.

Die stukkie oor jou liggie wat in SA skyn was 3minute uit 'n uur preek.

Die verslaggewer wat daar was om die artikel te doen het obviously nie met 'n oop gemoed daar gesit nie. Anders sou hy/sy beslis die dieper mening van waaroor die preek werklik gegaan het aangeraak het. Die preek was oor mans wat moet terugkeer na God en hulle gesinne.

Lienq

• 4 weeks later...
Currently I am in the same situation that my brain says gogogo ! but the Lord has not made it clear in my heart what His will is in this matter.

1. No-one can tell someone else what the Will of God is in matters like these where a personal conviction is needed

2. I understand that God will protect you if you stay in his Will but sometimes His will is to go thru Hell and witness on the other end - to show that His love still shines in a Christian heart. I just don't think He wants all of us to go thru Hell to show this, he selects those who can... I don't know if I will be able to do that if my little girl or baby boy gets hurt in any way. I just don't know if my faith will survive that especially if I had the chance to leave itall behind me and make a new life.....

3. So I do what I can and do my EILTS etc and see if He opens the door further or if He shuts it very definitely.

Regards

Louw

Louw

I agree 100 %. God have different goals and paths for each of us. It is His will for some of us to go and for some of us to stay . . . He will guide you in His will! What will be, will be . . .

So, if He wants me to stay (and not some preacher to tell me to stay), He will protect me . . .

God's will, is my will . . .

Liggie

... on a lighter (pun) note I think I'm going to loadshed my little light to Oz and help the rest of the people in SA.... and Eskom. :)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..."

We are ALL in this emigration boat together, or we wouldn't be on the forum in the first place.

I was very tempted to blast the 2 forumites who took many, many posts to stand up for Dominee Mostert. If they felt so strongly about it then why wait so long?

Then I realised that they were actually rather brave to stand up and defend him. Each to his own, and good for you. Still not entirely convinced about the Dominee's headspace, but I'll have to bow to your better judgement as you were actually there...

Saffers, and I know I'm generalising here, tend to be rather mean spirited about other people's success, good fortune and achievements (except on this forum of course!), so it's natural that those going through this whole process will pick up lots of flak from other people who don't see Aus in their own futures. So yes, we are all a little touchy about any criticism, perceived or otherwise...

I heard a little saying that goes something like "if one candle lights another candle it does not lose it's own flame". We should all light a few more candles!

Take care and have a gr8 weekend!

zorba

:rolleyes:

In my Opinion ---- Your journey with God is a personal one, and if you feel a certain way with conviction and all the paths are being opened up , then it's your and Gods will. God speaks to each one of us just as much as the next and excuse me for saying, don't let someone elses double agenda (no insult intended :rolleyes: ) Get in the way of your destiny.

You go with God in your own personal way - RSA or Perth it's the one and same creator.

Love

B

... on a lighter (pun) note I think I'm going to loadshed my little light to Oz and help the rest of the people in SA.... and Eskom. :D

:whome::)

In my Opinion ---- Your journey with God is a personal one, and if you feel a certain way with conviction and all the paths are being opened up , then it's your and Gods will. God speaks to each one of us just as much as the next and excuse me for saying, don't let someone elses double agenda (no insult intended :whome: ) Get in the way of your destiny.

You go with God in your own personal way - RSA or Perth it's the one and same creator.

Love

B

AMEN!!

... on a lighter (pun) note I think I'm going to loadshed my little light to Oz and help the rest of the people in SA.... and Eskom. :lol:

Die wonder van Sy lig in ons, is dat dit internasionaal mag skyn, ek kon my van kleintyd af moeilik vereenselwig met die liedjie: "jy in jou klein hoekie en ek in myn", het altyd soos 'n inperking van Sy lig belewe.

Gaan, en laat julle lig skyn, Sy Woord sal die lamp vir julle voet en lig vir julle pad bly waar julle ookal vestig. Waar julle ookal beweeg gaan Sy lig in en deur julle 'n verskil maak.

Soos die dissipels by geleentheid die stof van hulle voete moes afskud, word sommige in SA gedring om hul lig elders te neem.

Aktief

Gaan, en laat julle lig skyn, Sy Woord sal die lamp vir julle voet en lig vir julle pad bly waar julle ookal vestig. Waar julle ookal beweeg gaan Sy lig in en deur julle 'n verskil maak.

Soos die dissipels by geleentheid die stof van hulle voete moes afskud, word sommige in SA gedring om hul lig elders te neem.

Waarlik stof tot nadenke - dankie Aktief vir die inspirerende woorde.

L

Waarlik stof tot nadenke - dankie Aktief vir die inspirerende woorde.

L

Waar gaan die Heymanse in Australie vestig, my man en ek beplan om in Brisbane te vestig.

Is daar 45plussers in jul groep. Ons wil die senior SAners ook onderling in kontak bring met mekaar.

Aktief

• 1 month later...

Hou op om Eskom te kritiseer. Gaan werk daar en sit die ligte aan,†was sy boodskap.

Dis maklik om te se ne? Doen bietjie aansoek en kyk of jy met jou blessed wit vel daai job gaan kry. en nog erger, as jy daar werk, kyk of hulle enigsinds na jou liggie wil luister! Ek bly nie eers in SA nie, maar ek ken ouens by ESKOM wat almal wil weghol Perth toe want hulle expertise word totaal ge-ignoreer en die "liggies" word uitgedoof; letterlik en figuurlik!

Dis juis die hele punt, ons wil dinge verander, ons wil dinge laat werk, maar die meerderheid wat regeer WIL NIE. Ons lamal het wragtag lank genoeg probeer.

Was Moses nou 'n sondaar omdat hy Kanaan toe getrek het? Ek kan net so wel die Bybel quote en se Oom Doom is een van die ander 10 spioene wat nie die beloofde land sal ingaan nie, want hulle was bang vir die reuse! En ons is die Joshua manne wat die land wil inneem.

Dit wys net weereens elkeen het sy eie interpretasie, sy eie wil en keuses, en party probeer net ander dwing om dieselfde te dink.

Ek kry nou gereeld "profesiee" van welbedoelende broers in die kerk wat my gat lam maak om die minste te se. Almal gee hulle eie interpretasie, en wil eintlik net he ons moet bly sodat my vrou kan klavier speel in die kerk. Self-sugtige mense gun ander nie 'n keuse en 'n beter lewe nie.

Edited by Biltongboer

Gelukkig behoort die HELE aarde aan die God wat ek aanbid, so waarookal ek is, kan ek binne sy wil wees. (Terloops, Bennie is oorspronklik 'n Namibier.....)