Timelines and signatures

Jordy

Timelines in signatures  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see individual's timelines in their signatures or not?

• Yes
    • No

Question

I need to say that I really dont like the decision to remove timelines in members signatures, and I would please like the hosts to reconsider this unilaterial decision that was made without consultation. For me this was such wonderful feature of this forum. I remember someone saying once that a whole new world opened up for them when they registered and signed on because they could now see new information they couldn't see previously.

I do understand the tickers were making the forum messy and that some signatures were very long. Mine was getting way too long, but that is only because I am getting further down the road.

Riekie mentioned in the announcement that some people complained. Can I ask whether the number of complaints was so high that it necessitated such a decision? Perhaps those of us who wanted them and found them extremely useful out-weighed those who didn't.

Riekie also says we should put our timelines in the Personal statement in the Profile view. That just doesnt work for two reasons - 1. because it is too short 2. - because I couldnt be bothered opening up someones profile first to check which visa they on and their progress before answering a question.

Please would the hosts reconsider this decision? I think you have lost a crucial and a special feature of the forum. I took quite alot of pride in my signature - to the extent that when I receieved documents like PCC's or IELTS results, the first thought that crossed my mind was that I could update my signature.

Perhaps more guidelines were needed as to the length, font, colour, information etc was the answer rather than banning them outright.

Please give this a re thought!

Jordy

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Mara

• Carrie

• JanCPT

• DKH

Top Posters For This Question

Yes please! Bring back the time lines! I must say that I spend an equal amount of time reading ppl's time lines as I do reading their posts!

The biggest part about this process, IMHO, is the waiting... so it's really great to be able to plot your timeline according to those that have 'gone before'

Please don't take this away from us :ilikeit:

You have the option to turn off signitures. Those people that dont want to view them can disable this feature in your settings.

Easy.

Or am i missing something?

I also like seeing the signatures. Call me girly but I loved the tickers!! I loved seeing what each person chose cos it reflects their taste and gives you more insight into their personality!!

I also LOVED updating my signature. I found it quite exciting being able to add new stuff. No one understands the visa process like my forum mates so you guys are really the only ones sharing my excitement. Thats one of the reason's I loved it.

I do however agree some timelines were getting out of control. What I would suggest would be as you get further down the road maybe be a bit more brief in your description. Thats what I started to do. Didn't put every little detail. Just the biggies like TRA, lodgement date, meds done, CO assigned. How's that? In the beginning it ok to put when you got passports etc cos you don't have much else to put.

Just my 2c!!

Ok first off. Good on you hosts for wanting to see the forum kept 'tidy', BUT i have to agree with Jordy.

Those timeline signatures were very imformative and it was far easier than PM'ing someone to ask them again when they applied. My memory is like a sieve so i would be continually PM'ing / annoying them.

Also if people can have an arbitary saying or a link to a blog or a website - they can surely have a relevant timeline signature.

I am not being disrespectful because i do understand you job is not an easy one but c'mon guys - those timelines are vital. Maybe tell people to limit it to just six dates (just an example)...

I have removed my ticker - to shown my co-operation but would now like to add back a signature with a timeline... can i do this...

I think that if there is a concern regarding memory or asthetics then limit the number of characters. Don't cut them out completely. In the process of application I often view forumers signatures to gage and understand timing. This assists in decisions regarding the sale of houses, cars, cancelling the various policies, TV Lic, etc.

To some the signature is more than just a fun tag.

Please leave them on, just limit them.

regards

B

Please please please allow the timeline's back (not allowing ticker's is fine - have it on my Facebook profile)!

Limit it, please don't take it away!

Hi,

Agree with all above.

I understand that the tickers consumes extra bandwidth in and out of the forum and may become a bit heavy on the resources if the 3670 members all have tickers.

The timeline signature is an unique value-add of this forum and not only gives something to measure by, but also some context of the person who is posting.

Yes limit it to e.g. 10 lines or let's agree to what steps we put in as some are actually a pain to wade through to find out when they lodged.

E.g. Max it to:

- Decide to go

- IETLS, Medicals, PCC

- Lodging

- CO Assigned

- Granted

+ 5 custom (own lines)

Eendrag maak Mag (Haven't heard that for a while :ilikeit: )

I definitely agree that the timelines should be kept. I was very upset when I read the announcement. Not only are they an invaluable source of information for all those trying to keep sane throughout the looong wait, but as DKH mentioned they also add some context to the person who is posting. I always used to read the timelines, especially when people are announcing biggies like CO's and Approvals.

I do think there needs to be some sort of guide or limit though as some were way too long with every tiny detail recorded, but the important info like lodging, CO, PCC. Medicals and the Big Approval are very useful to see.

I also do understand and appreciate the great jobs our hosts are doing in keeping this forum tidy and efficient, but please could you re-evaluate this one?

You all have valid points and we will re-assess the time-lines, but unfortunately the tickers will have to go.....

About it being a unilateral decision. We are a host team of about 20 ppl who all have the growth, effectiveness & sustenance of this forum at heart. We do not simply wake up one morning and decide to add or wipe a rule. We do so after something was brought to our attention by the members and only after we, as a team considered all. We can not take admin decisions to the members - it will take forever, is a logistical nightmare and you will still have ppl upset about having their opinion overruled by the majority, whether it be good or bad - aka havoc.... Having a host team is sufficient & effective enough to manage all the administrative functions, leaving the members to just sit back and enjoy all the forum benefits and behind-the-scenes efforts of the hosts.

Make sense?

Make sense?

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for listening and we look forward to seeing what you decide to do. :ilikeit:

Although I did not complain about the lenghty timelines, I do find them an irritation. I see the need for it, especially for the newbies, but can we limit them to say 5 or 6 lines max? Some people have sigs going 10-20 lines!

Edited to say: I just went on a search for that "disable signatures" thing, and it is MUCH better. So I would change my vote - leave the signatures and tell the complainers about this feature. Everybody's happy!

Edited by De Kat

I agree tickers off but please for me as a newbee i read trough a lot of these sign. to see if i'm still on track

Thank you for all

Stefan

I love seeing the siggies! It is so nice to see where people are in the process as we chat! It makes chatting easier - you don't have to keep asking where people are in the process.

On the contrary, I vote that it should be mandatory to have a siggie with your timeline!!! :ilikeit:

I didn't even see the announcement, just saw this new posting about it.

Oh Dear Forum Hosts ... Please reconsider the timelines - even just 5 lines worth eg: What Visa? When applied? Ack letter date? CO assigned Date? Visa granted date? It really helps keep us sane and not everyone updates the timelines worksheet so reading signatures vs the postings gives you a better feel as to 'how much longer ...'

Agree, please bring back, I find that when researching various questions on the big move it gives answers credibilty when you can see if the person who has written the post has been through that part of the process yet. :D

Yes, please allow the signatures. It is great to be able to follow another members progress. I would put money on it that most of the complaints came from people finished with their visa applications. For us still trying to get there, the timelines are wonderful reference and encouragement seeing other people in the same boat as you.

Edited by J&j

I agree that the timelines are not necessary... they are fun, colourful but not at all necessary...

I do, however, disagree most strongly in removing / disallowing the signatures. The signatures are such an integral part of this forum and offer a wealth of information. I think that to do away with them would be a huge mistake.

I must say, this poll is an overwhelming result and we, as hosts, do want to keep this forum a happy place... :blink: Therefore we will allow the time-line signatures but the tickers still have to go. The time-lines should be kept to a maximum of 8 lines (being very generous here, after the general opinion was 5 lines).

All happy? :blink:

Dankie Hosts!! Ek gaan sommer nou vir Jordy PM!!

Dear Hosts,

That is such wonderful news. Thank you guys. This little attachement says it all. It is especially for you Riekie cause you told us the goods news.

For those who dont wont to see signatures, remember you can turn them off in your control panel.

Jordy