bridgewater - Adelaide

Just B

can any of you lucky Adelaidians tell just what Bridgewater is like.

1)Are the houses expensive in this area?

2)Rent prices?

3)Is this a less or more desirable area?

4)Does anyone live in the area?

Please given your honest opinion.

Regards

K&B

Hi K & B,

That is exactly where we lived one year ago, in Bridgewater. My experience of Bridgewater is as follow.....

There is a very nice, biggish Coles, News agency, butcher, and green grocer.

Some smaller shops.

One very expensive garage where you pay more for your gas as at any other place. (between Bridgewater and Aldgate)

Aldgate is next to Bridgewater....one street of quaint little shops plus a average Coles, a few shops a bit more to the back and Aldgate Pump hotel.

No petrol station in Aldgate.

Aldgate is a pretty place.

Then just after Aldgate you get Stirling....now that is a lovely little village. Nice shops and eateries, new library and beautiful scenery. I think there are two petrol stations in Stirling. Everything you need is in Stirling.

Bridgewater, Aldgate and Stirling are on the bus routes to Adelaide. Adelaide is about 30 minutes away by bus or car on a nice highway.

The houses in Bridgewater are really very average with here and there a nice one. The place reminds me of a few smallholdings that are neglected. You get the house with a dry garden and lots of bushes and shrubs and normally there is a few cars without tyres or engines standing around. The woods are pretty and you get Koala bears dozing in the trees. Unfortunately in summer you find all the creepy crawly's coming out to play. And the spiders are as big as small , little dogs and the Magpies looks like Cornish hens sitting on the telephone poles, staring at you.

We rented a very dusty, dirty old place with no garden and lots of dilapidated sheds and the owner wanted $300 per week for it. Somewhere, around the beginning af last year I wrote a post here about my landlord from hell.

After a few months we moved to a better, cleaner, more 'open ' place.

Oh, and the weather in the Hills are much cooler than down in Adelaide in summer, but misty, cold and wet, wet in winter.

Sorry I dont know much about house prices but the above is my experience of Bridgewater.....Aldgate.....Stirling.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Kannidood.

Sorry I dont know much about house prices but the above is my experience of Bridgewater.....Aldgate.....Stirling.

Hi Kannidood

I am on Google Earth as we speak - what direction is Stirling from Bridgewater (N,S,E or W) and approx. how many km's...

Thank you for your honesty in your reply to K & B.

Red (K&B's wife)

Hi Red,

Stirling is about 3 kilometers south of Bridgewater. If you look on the map you get Bridgewater, then 1 km further is Aldgate and a further 2 kms is Stirling.

I am trying to post you a picture of the mist I experienced in the mornings when I took hubby to work. I was terrified, could not see a thing and the lorries sped past me as if they had X ray vision....

KD.

Hi Red,

Stirling is about 3 kilometers south of Bridgewater. If you look on the map you get Bridgewater, then 1 km further is Aldgate and a further 2 kms is Stirling.

I am trying to post you a picture of the mist I experienced in the mornings when I took hubby to work. I was terrified, could not see a thing and the lorries sped past me as if they had X ray vision....

KD.

KD,

The cooler temps and thickmist I'm used to at the moment I live in the hills inland from Durban and we have the same problem with the mist in the early evenings. I've been searching google earth and looking at what lloks like a nice place to live. I'm trying to take the following into consideration

1) I will more than likely end up working in Elizabeth (but want live in the area) - (25 km or so)

2) I mountain bike so I have been checking out all the areas with open land, and forests. (5km or so)

3) Would like to be in close proximity to central adelaide (15km or so)

4) I like in suburba - it's beautiful and scenic and like to target an area much the same.

. . . sorry it's a bit of a tall order, but thinking of my girls.

K&B

I like Bridgewater. The area really became available for Adelaide people about the early 1970s when land started to be sold there for housing, so most of your suburban housing dates from the period with some older houses dating back to colonial times (before Federation in Australia in 1901) along some of the major arterial roads.

I can send you photos of a typical Bridgewater street scene and typical Bridgewater housing in a few days when I get another month's supply of 1 Gb (Megabytes) on Thursday . . . . if you can wait that long?

It's a great place as you'll see in the piccies.

Alternatively, you can browse thro some piccies I took last month of a "drive thro the Adelaide Hills" with housing in Mt Barker, driving thro Hahndorf then Bridgewater then Aldgate then ending in Stirling. The South Eastern Freeway ( three lane each way motorway) passes all these places before dropping out of the Adelaide Hills about 500 Metres into the outer suburbs of Adelaide where the first traffic light (robot) is encountered.

Bob

I like Bridgewater. The area really became available for Adelaide people about the early 1970s when land started to be sold there for housing, so most of your suburban housing dates from the period with some older houses dating back to colonial times (before Federation in Australia in 1901) along some of the major arterial roads.

I can send you photos of a typical Bridgewater street scene and typical Bridgewater housing in a few days when I get another month's supply of 1 Gb (Megabytes) on Thursday . . . . if you can wait that long?

It's a great place as you'll see in the piccies.

Alternatively, you can browse thro some piccies I took last month of a "drive thro the Adelaide Hills" with housing in Mt Barker, driving thro Hahndorf then Bridgewater then Aldgate then ending in Stirling. The South Eastern Freeway ( three lane each way motorway) passes all these places before dropping out of the Adelaide Hills about 500 Metres into the outer suburbs of Adelaide where the first traffic light (robot) is encountered.

Bob

thanks Bob,

I downloaded the picture you posted "Adelaide Hills", At first will have to take what I can get (Rental) untilo such time as the job is secure and I can get a mortgage and can start looking for a place to stay. What I like about the look of the greater Bridgewater, Aldgate, Sterling area is the amount of forest and open land. But without being too far from it all. (I bit of have your cake and eat it). And is about 30km from teh Elizabeth area where I do believe I will find a job in my line. I will definately be driving around the area and looking at all the streets and suburbs.

Thanks again for your time

regards

K&B

So many people, so many different tastes...

All in all I find Adelaide a terrific place to be.

There are a few suburbs I will not stay in but here, right at the ocean's beauty, this is where I am at peace.

I wish you luck in your search for the hollow of your feet and God's speed in your travels.

I'll leave you in Bob's capable hands now...he is the guru.

Regards,

Kannidood.

So many people, so many different tastes...

All in all I find Adelaide a terrific place to be.

There are a few suburbs I will not stay in but here, right at the ocean's beauty, this is where I am at peace.

I wish you luck in your search for the hollow of your feet and God's speed in your travels.

I'll leave you in Bob's capable hands now...he is the guru.

Regards,

Kannidood.

KD,

thanks for yourinput it is valueable - I myself am a mountain man (I don't look like one) and the hills called once I heard that Adelaide was backed up onto a range of mountains (hills). But I totally look forward to driving all areas (a favourite past time of the family) and checking out all the areas. We just have one hump to get over and that's we need those wonderful immigration poeple is give us our visas. I'm sure it won't be long (a little before mid year)

K&B

K & B,

Bridgewater is about 50 km from Elizabeth, and if you take traffic conditions into account you'll have to prepare yourself to be on the road about 50 - 60 minutes travelling each way in the mornings and back.

Just thought I'd highlight this

Dax

335.jpg

334.jpg

327.jpg

Hi K&B en Red,

Dis hoe dit in die oggende lyk op die Hills pad. Vir my was dit 'n nagmerrie!

KD.

KD,

It looks just like Hillcrest in KZN, after a very hot and humid day. You will have to be kind to me and use small words, I'm not very good at Afrikaans the last time I read or spoke a word was 20 years ago in high school.

Thanks for the pictures. As far as rent are concerned, it looks like we will be heading south of Adelaide until we have settled and who the lay of the land. One of our decisions to send my wife to college, in RSA she has been sitting doing admin work (purely because commitments wouldn't allow for one income) she (Red) will go to either UNISA or the Adelaide centre for creative photography and train and do what she loves to do- "Follow your bliss"- The Secret.

If anyone has photo in and around Adelaide, the hills, south Ade, Glenelg. Please feel free to dump them on this site. WE LOVE PHOTOS.

regards

K&B (I'm the :blink:

Edited by K & B

Hi K&B,

Just thought to send you this map. Not too clear :) , a cellphone photo, but might help a little bit. Just so that you can see where Stirling/Bridgewater and Elizabeth regions are.

Edited by JWEL

Just thought to send you this map. Not too clear :ilikeit: , a cellphone photo, but might help a little bit. Just so that you can see where Stirling/Bridgewater and Elizabeth regions are.

thanks for the map, if you want good maps that you can download (pdf) go to http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_tr...direct/maps.asp

these are maps designed by the SA Government for cyclists. Go figure they don't just run their cyclists over.

Last night I was trying to find stirling on google earth (excellent program). There are places a little closer to the industrial north that are 10-15km above stirling against the hills. These will have to be checked out when in Ade.

I look at Bridgewater too and liked it. Another place that is a lot closer to Elisabeth that looks like it has some green space, unfotunately no hills for you, is Mawson Lakes. It is north of Adelaide an dis apparently 12 minutes from the CBD. I liked it as well. It is close to the South Australia University if I remember correctly. So this will work for your wife if she wants to study there. It just looks like it has a water purification or something west of it, I cannot figure out on Google Map exactly what it is and that bothers me. Anybody in Adelaide that can help out on what that water thing is west of it?

Here is Mawson Lake's webiste: http://www.mawsonlakes.com.au/llweb/mawsonlakes/main.nsf

Retha

I look at Bridgewater too and liked it. Another place that is a lot closer to Elisabeth that looks like it has some green space, unfotunately no hills for you, is Mawson Lakes. It is north of Adelaide an dis apparently 12 minutes from the CBD. I liked it as well. It is close to the South Australia University if I remember correctly. So this will work for your wife if she wants to study there. It just looks like it has a water purification or something west of it, I cannot figure out on Google Map exactly what it is and that bothers me. Anybody in Adelaide that can help out on what that water thing is west of it?

Here is Mawson Lake's webiste: http://www.mawsonlakes.com.au/llweb/mawsonlakes/main.nsf

Retha

Thanks for the info I will check out the site. Have pinned a few other places that look reall y nice. Look all of this is premature but fun and passes the time. And also feels like you are still engaged in the Aussie move even though the application is in and we are waiting.

It is premature for us too, but I am looking at available lots to build on and I am looking at neighborhoods. The latter is a bit difficult to find when it is an established one where new builders are not building in. But then, I have found my dream home plan, 2-bedroom but beautiful and will need a place where I can build it without being limited to the builders' plans. I like the green space in Mawson Lakes, but I will be limited to using the builders and their plans. I like Mawson Lakes approximity to the CBD, because we are in IT.

But if my husband land a job in Perth instead, then I have already selected the neighborhood I like there: Seville Grove, located in the City of Armadale. (http://www.landcorp.com.au/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SEVIL/IMAGES/AFFORDABLE-LIVING-IN-HARMONY-WITH-NATURE_0.PDF). It is apparently a 30 minute drive to the CBD. I do not know if I will be able to build my house here, but it is a start to look at. I like it becuase they are concentrating at building energy-efficient houses there. I Also like the green space there and apparently the city of Armadale also have foothills.

Enjoy you favorite passtime.

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Guest Bronwyn

Hi there

I also really love the Adelaide Hills, and although we didn't end up buying there, we often go for a drive or lunch in Stirling.

Stirling and Aldgate used to be affordable about 18 months ago, but they have shot up in price and you are looking at $550k plus for a small 3-bedroom place. Bridgewater is much less expensive, and I find this puzzling because geographically there is no difference, and the place is very pretty. I must admit I was once told by an Estate Agent not to buy in Bridgewater, as it's considered 'dodgy', but is is really very pretty.I think some of the inhabitants can be a bit 'suspect', but let's be honest, your chances are that your neighbours will be very nice.

There will be beautiful houses, and then slap bang in the middle you will get a house that is half falling down, dilapidated sheds, rusted cars and knee-high grass, with washing hanging out front... :(

Don't believe everything you hear about the 20-minute city. We drove from Urrbrae to Elizabeth South this morning at 10am and it took just under an hour. If you are still going up to Bridgewater, you are looking at about 75 mins, and that is the middle of the morning. It's do-able, but IMHO way too far in peak traffic. Yes, I also did it in JHB but here it is different, very frustrating, because half the time you can only go 40kmph or 60kmph.

But don't stress! Take a look at Highbury and Athlestone, bordering beatiful Linear Park, and the Hills ranges to the East. You can cycle or walk in the bush to your heart's content. There is a big shopping mall (Tea Tree Plaza) nearby. For value for money I like Highbury. Huge trees and if you are lucky, some great views. There are a lot of small houses on reasonable-size blocks that you can renovate and extend over time. The schools seem good (our friends are very happy with Atlestone Primary) and Charles Campbell Secondary is the local High School which as an impressive choice of subjects.

Remember the Hills run along the South and East of town. If you need specifics PM me and I will try and help.

Regards, Bronwyn

May I also ask something please?

Which areas still have bigger affordable plots, for a few small animals and a veggie garden? A bit outside of town, maybe, but still close enough to travel to the CBD?

Guest Bronwyn

Hmmm - I am really not sure, as we have only been here a year. Remember Adelaide is surrounded by hills on 2 sides (South and East) and the sea on the West. Most of the bigger blocks up North are being snapped up by developers and chopped into 400sqm blocks with a 20 metre frontage.

I don't know whether you are considering commuting every day to town, as this might be a bit far for you, but you could look out Bob's way at Mount Barker. Very pretty and rural and I'm sure keeping a few chooks etc will not be a problem up there.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsear...;cat=&o=def

You are looking at almost an hour's drive into the city, I think, and you are going to pay $350k+ for just over 1,000 squares, which is considered large here. Oh, you should also get a house, but for $350k with that amount of land you will probably want to do some renovations.

I'm sure Bob won't mind filling you in a bit more with detail about his neck of the woods.

Regards, Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Hi K & B (and everyone else)

I like Bridgewater very much. It's somewhere I would definitely consider living. That whole area is just lovely. We used to live in Hilton in Natal, and it reminds me a lot of there, except not so green. I used to LOVE the mist we got us there and it still wrenches something inside when I see the mist rolling over the hills. Stirling and Aldgate are very popular now and very very expensive. Bridgwater will catch up and the houses are far enough apart that the locals may not be such a factor. I would regard it as a very good investment area as well. But, it is a really stiff drive up to Elizabeth from there. It's not just the distance - it's really awkward getting there, because you'll have to drive to the city, then up Portrush road through the city at 60 km p/h all the way up to Elizabeth. It would be an absolute nightmare in peak traffic.

If you really want to be a hillbilly, you could look at places like One Tree Hill or Gumeracha, but they are just as expensive as Stirling and Aldgate. Lobethal could be an option, but that would be a bit awkward to travel from as well. That's absolutely lovely. I would recommend looking at a place like Golden Grove. The plot sizes are not very big though, because it is a newer suburb. Highbury is a good option, as Bronwyn said, but is getting extremely expensive as well, plus the drive from there to Elizabeth is not so great either. The roads are a nightmare up there.

Mawson Lakes - if you are a hillbilly, you would most likely hate it here. It is flat and very new, with tiny plots (houses basically cover the entire plot with no garden), very "urban" in feel. The landscaping and planning are excellent and a lot of people love it there. There are some great houses as well. The facilities are great and there are some good schools there (some not so good ones as well), but it is the type of place that has to suit your personality. Very "planned" and crisp and sort of "yuppie-ish" in a weird way with a lot of fit young mums with designer baby buggies jogging around ... :ilikeit:

JWEL - the words "affordable" and "bigger" don't come together until you start looking at places a considerable distance (probably 1.5 hours drive) out into the country. There are some good sizeable properties available in the Clare valley or in places like Strathalbyn for around $300K, but you really need to not have to commute into Adelaide on a daily basis to make it viable. Mount Barker is a good option as well, but no longer as affordable as it was a year ago. I would not keep animals on anything smaller than 2000 squares - keep that in mind

Guest Bronwyn

Annette I agree with you, it can only be a matter of time before Bridgewater catches up in price to Stirling and Aldgate, it is right in the middle of the area! I think the prices are being kept lower by the perception that it's not a great area, but if you go there, there is nothing wrong with it! <_<

JWEL I did a search on semi-rural/acreage properties on Realestate.com for houses up to $350k and only 5 came up in Adelaide, all being many miles away!

You might have to keep a pet rabbit or two, and grow a vegie (note Australian spelling!) garden in Bridgewater or Mount Barker, that should be do-able! Don't worry, it is still very pretty there with lots of open spaces to go to.

:lol:

Hi there

I also really love the Adelaide Hills, and although we didn't end up buying there, we often go for a drive or lunch in Stirling.

Stirling and Aldgate used to be affordable about 18 months ago, but they have shot up in price and you are looking at $550k plus for a small 3-bedroom place. Bridgewater is much less expensive, and I find this puzzling because geographically there is no difference, and the place is very pretty. I must admit I was once told by an Estate Agent not to buy in Bridgewater, as it's considered 'dodgy', but is is really very pretty.I think some of the inhabitants can be a bit 'suspect', but let's be honest, your chances are that your neighbours will be very nice.

There will be beautiful houses, and then slap bang in the middle you will get a house that is half falling down, dilapidated sheds, rusted cars and knee-high grass, with washing hanging out front... :ilikeit:

Don't believe everything you hear about the 20-minute city. We drove from Urrbrae to Elizabeth South this morning at 10am and it took just under an hour. If you are still going up to Bridgewater, you are looking at about 75 mins, and that is the middle of the morning. It's do-able, but IMHO way too far in peak traffic. Yes, I also did it in JHB but here it is different, very frustrating, because half the time you can only go 40kmph or 60kmph.

But don't stress! Take a look at Highbury and Athlestone, bordering beatiful Linear Park, and the Hills ranges to the East. You can cycle or walk in the bush to your heart's content. There is a big shopping mall (Tea Tree Plaza) nearby. For value for money I like Highbury. Huge trees and if you are lucky, some great views. There are a lot of small houses on reasonable-size blocks that you can renovate and extend over time. The schools seem good (our friends are very happy with Atlestone Primary) and Charles Campbell Secondary is the local High School which as an impressive choice of subjects.

Remember the Hills run along the South and East of town. If you need specifics PM me and I will try and help.

Regards, Bronwyn

Thanks for all info, funny you should mention Athlestone, I had pinned a couple of streets in the areas\ as possibles. King George Ave, Bradbrook Rd, highbury also looks rather nice. I will obviously get a feel once there. But would like to get the first rental in and around those areas. Annette mentioned Hilton in Natal, well i'm from just down the road in Hillcrest, also a green belt, misty zone.

I can't wait to get to Adelaide to experience this all. Obviously the area I end up buying a house will depend on where the job is and the salary. At the monet I'm sitting on my laptop 9400km away dreaming of those hills under the wheels of my mountain bike.

Annette,

Hilton, wonderful place to ride.

It looks like I've wiped the photos I had on my hard drive off showing a typical street scene and housing in the Bridgewater area.

DSC00553-1.jpg

This is one of the main street of Bridgewater with the general store. Further up the road, you can just start to see the Bridgewater oval where cricket and Aussie Rules football is played.

DSC00555-1.jpg