Work seek counseling

Leeedin

Hi all am asking for some assistance please. In South Africa i am a registered counselor and I need to find out what my qualifications are equivalent to in Australia. Anyone on this group immigrate as a registered counselor an what are the steps I need to be able to work as a counselor in Australia? Battling to find advise so any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello @Leeedin

I remember how I struggled too, but here's what I did (I am not a counselor, but an OT in Mental Health so hopefully this gives you some direction). 

When I started looking to immigrate, I had a look at the 189 skilled occupations list  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list (and thankfully my profession was on that list) and did some research into what 'governing body' is the equivalent of HPCSA / OTASA there. Before I could even apply for my visa, I needed to submit a stack of documentation to OTC (OT Council, Aus) for 'assessment' - basically, a skills assessment https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skills-assessment. They vetted my degree, institution from which I graduated, English proficiency, etc etc and only once I got Stage 1 approval from the OTC could I start the process of applying for an Expression of Interest to immigrate. 

As a registered counselor, I am assuming you are also part of HPCSA and some psychology body, too? Thus, you will need to check, firstly, if registered counselors are on the 189 list, or for which visa you can apply. Whichever visa you qualify for, I assume you would need to have your qualification and experience vetted with their equivalent body (this body is stipulated on the list). 

It is a time consuming and expensive process, but well worth it ... I started the whole process in July last year, and my flights are officially booked for June. 

Good luck, and shout if you need any further assistance!

• Like 1

@leeatedinburg in Australia there is no direct translation for a registered counselor as there is in SA where it is a protected profession. May be worth contacting the ACA.