Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Hi Bernadette, when did you receive you letter requesting additional information. 

The beginning of June “ parents” changed the standard reply to processing August and a +/- 20 days later your 143 was granted. 

Congratulations 

They requested information on 13th February 2019 and granted 17th June 2019

@bernadette24

sorry for the excess info but if you haven’t yet acquired a bank card, you should do that first because you need to pay for your drivers license when getting one. 

Enjoy and I hope all goes well!

21 hours ago, bernadette24 said:

i understand that once the visa 143 is granted, i can travel freely in and out of Australia. However, what happens after 5 years? What is the maximum time i can be out of Australia without to having to apply for another visa to come back in?

The permanent residence visa means you may remain in Australia indefinitely.  However, the travel facility on the 143 visa itself is as you have seen for 5 years.  Once the travel facility of the 143 visa has expired - if you wish to be able to travel offshore and return to Australia then you should either: 

• obtain another visa - e.g. a Residents Return visa before leaving Australia

Or

• obtain Australian citizenship, and an Australian passport

Hi All, i recall there was a email address you could email to get updates on where they are with 143 processing? Does anyone have it? Hi All, i recall there was a email address you could email to get updates on where they are with 143 processing? Does anyone have it? 

1 hour ago, Robbie_P said:

Hi All, i recall there was a email address you could email to get updates on where they are with 143 processing? Does anyone have it? Hi All, i recall there was a email address you could email to get updates on where they are with 143 processing? Does anyone have it? 

Hi Robbie, it is parents@border.gov.au. Just send a blank mail, if you send too often they stop replying until the next time it is updated. 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, bernadette24 said:

Now that we have been granted our visas 143, what should we do first, exchange driver's licence or medicare card?

From mum's experience recently I can offer the following suggestion:

1. Get Australian phone number

2. Collect a Bank Card issued by Australian Bank if you've not already got one

3. Visit Centrelink or Medicare offices carry Australian Bank details, Visa Grant letter and Overseas Passport and do all the following in a single visit: a) Register for Medicare b) Register for MyGov c) Collect LHC loading exemption letter to prevent medical insurance being charged higher 

I went with mum had utility bill handy wasn't asked good idea to have handy for proof of address as different branches may work differently.

4. Apply online for Australian Senior Card (if eligible) using Medicare details for verification.

5. Apply for Seniors Opal card (if NSW) For concessions on travel using Seniors card for verification.

6. Apply Hospital cover medical insurance as soon as possible and no later than 1 year from Medicare registration - the LHC letter above is needed for this. 

7. Check online on Roads and Maritime Services for NSW driver's license conversion. It needs Drivers Knowledge Test which you need to prepare for and book to complete at the Govt office online, followed by driving test and vision test. Different states may have different requirements.  However new migrants can drive for 3 months on overseas license in NSW. Use passport for photo ID until then.

8. Google 100 point verification and ensure you have all the items needed to prove identity locally.

Best wishes for settling in

12 hours ago, SDS said:

From mum's experience recently I can offer the following suggestion:

1. Get Australian phone number

2. Collect a Bank Card issued by Australian Bank if you've not already got one

3. Visit Centrelink or Medicare offices carry Australian Bank details, Visa Grant letter and Overseas Passport and do all the following in a single visit: a) Register for Medicare b) Register for MyGov c) Collect LHC loading exemption letter to prevent medical insurance being charged higher 

I went with mum had utility bill handy wasn't asked good idea to have handy for proof of address as different branches may work differently.

4. Apply online for Australian Senior Card (if eligible) using Medicare details for verification.

5. Apply for Seniors Opal card (if NSW) For concessions on travel using Seniors card for verification.

6. Apply Hospital cover medical insurance as soon as possible and no later than 1 year from Medicare registration - the LHC letter above is needed for this. 

7. Check online on Roads and Maritime Services for NSW driver's license conversion. It needs Drivers Knowledge Test which you need to prepare for and book to complete at the Govt office online, followed by driving test and vision test. Different states may have different requirements.  However new migrants can drive for 3 months on overseas license in NSW. Use passport for photo ID until then.

8. Google 100 point verification and ensure you have all the items needed to prove identity locally.

Best wishes for settling in

Thank you so much for all that information. Where do i get the LHC loading exemption letter?

On 6/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, Dirkz said:

@bernadette24

sorry for the excess info but if you haven’t yet acquired a bank card, you should do that first because you need to pay for your drivers license when getting one. 

Enjoy and I hope all goes well!

Thank you very much

11 hours ago, bernadette24 said:

Thank you so much for all that information. Where do i get the LHC loading exemption letter?

Enquire at Medicare Registration - see point 3 of my initial list

On 6/19/2019 at 6:25 AM, bernadette24 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know what dates we're up to for getting requests for further information?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Robyn2259 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know what dates we're up to for getting requests for further information?

Thanks!

Has anybody who submitted in 

August 2015

September 2015

October 2015

received a request for further information and when?  

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

Has anybody who submitted in 

August 2015

September 2015

October 2015

received a request for further information and when?  

Yes, my folks submitted in September 2015 and were asked for information in February, but no further contact since then

On 6/19/2019 at 6:25 AM, bernadette24 said:

@bernadette24 Apologies for the overload of questions, can you confirm when you submitted all your documentation that was requested in February?  

3 hours ago, Tazzy said:

Yes, my folks submitted in September 2015 and were asked for information in February, but no further contact since then

@Tazzy which date of September did your friends receive an invitation from IMMI on February? Is it 143 visa or 173 ?

A question please for all those that are settled etc. I have mentioned to my daughter she will need to have me added to one of her utility bills so that I can open up a bank account etc and she said she is unable to put me on her council tax or water bill as that is only for the home owners so that just leaves electricity bill - are there any other bills that are accepted   TIA 

(being positively pro-active)

Edited by Maz

@Maz

I opened a bank account online and deposited some money (or had my daughter deposit money) into it. When we arrived I just went into the bank to activate it. All the info will be on the bank website. I think I only had my passport and SA bank card with me. They normally require two means of ID when dealing with Centrelink, a bank or Dept of Transport.

When I went for my drivers license I did need proof of a residential address. I had my brother, who also stays here, to give me a letter that I am staying with him with a copy of his drivers license (that's your Australian ID) and a utility bill showing his address. That was acceptable. 

Of course you don't have any utility bill yourself when you arrive here (unless you purchased some property beforehand), so a letter from your daughter stating that you reside at her address with a copy of her drivers license, her signature and utility bill should suffice.

• Thanks 1

@Dirkz Thank you so much that is very informative and doable. Much appreciated.  Now I just need that email to pay for my visa ....hurry up and wait scenario!

This is the start of the new financial year has anyone had any contact from IMMI regarding visa being granted and too excited and forgot to post on here :)

update: my Mom in law applied in Sep 15, just received email requesting for more information. moving forward.

• Like 3

Just now, Wei said:

update: my Mom in law applied in Sep 15, just received email requesting for more information. moving forward.

she applied Visa 143

21 hours ago, Wei said:

What date was the application lodged in sep, just for info as my application is in oct 2015.

thanks