Partner Visa (309) SA processing time

MattJ

Hi guys..still no request for medicals :(..the wait continues. The 11th of june will make it 3 months since we have lodged the application. I am assuming that there is backlog somewhere. Family in Aus said that there are elections coming up so I am hoping that they are not waiting for that to be over to make decisions regarding visas.

Jodie

Hey Jodie,

Hang in there! I promise the wait is worth it! My partner and I lodged mid-October last year and waited just over 6 months for our grant. We used an agent to log our application and even he found it hard to tell how long these types of visas will take to be approved. MattJ got his visa after 3.5 months just a few days after us, so the waiting times are a bit all over the place at the moment!

Lauren

Hi Lauren

The wait is tortue haha, If they could just request medicals then we can know that there is some progress...but all good things come to those who wait :)

Thanks for the Reply

Jodie

Edited by Jrbarker

Hi All

Shortly after my previous post, I was contacted by the Immi Dept with the request to go for medicals.

The only other request for extra information was for my husband/sponsor to supply an AFP Police Clearance Certificate. So apart from the South African police clearance he has already submitted, they have now also asked for an Australian one. He has been living in Australia since February 2016. 

Fortunately he could apply online and the indicated timeframe for that to be processed is 15 workdays.

So, my updated timeline is as follows:

14 April: Paper application submitted in Pretoria

31 May: Request for medicals

Will keep you posted!

Anna

Edited by AnnaG

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2016 at 11:30 AM, AnnaG said:

Dear All

To those of you still playing the waiting game: hang in there!

My provisional partner visa was approved after only 3 months. I applied in Pretoria, on paper.

With that step out of the way, we now have to think of all those other realities, like moving, finding a place to stay, worrying about work etc. etc. But I am very relieved that the whole visa process has been concluded.

Good luck to all of you who are in the same boat.

Anna

Hi Everyone

Hubbys visa was finally approved on the 18th of july! so only waited 4 months..now to start packing!

Good luck to everyone still waiting..

Jodie

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Submitted my spousal visa application last week Friday 07/04.2017

Let the waiting game begin :)

33 minutes ago, Dave3519 said:

Hi All

Submitted my spousal visa application last week Friday 07/04.2017

Let the waiting game begin :)

Good luck. I submitted on the 11th Feb. 2017.. Been told its an 11 to 15 month wait.. I'm still hoping it comes sooner , not sure if any one has any further insight into this ?

Congrats! We submitted my husbands application in march 2016 and got the grant letter in july 2016 and now we are enjoying life in Aus :)

Was quick..we were very surprised..fingers crossed its that quick for you as well.

All the best

7 hours ago, Wolflyle said:

Good luck. I submitted on the 11th Feb. 2017.. Been told its an 11 to 15 month wait.. I'm still hoping it comes sooner , not sure if any one has any further insight into this ?

Thanks :) Same to you.  As a matter of interest, is your partner an Australian citizen? 

I have booked my biometrics for tomorrow morning.

I am still awaiting the request from the CO re the medical report.  Anybody done this prior to the request and how long is it valid for? 

Hi All

Congrats on making the application, I totally understand how frustrating the wait is along with all the uncertainty.

Unless something has changed it really should not take much longer than 3-6 months from what I have seen on these groups. My application was submitted on 8 Jan 2016 and approved towards the end of April 2016. One month into the process I was contacted to submit my medicals and about 2 months later was sent the approval. I was not assigned a CO which I believe is normal for partner visas in SA, its simply somebody from the consulate who emails you the request for medicals. 

Dave- My wife is PR not a citizen so I am not sure it makes too much difference. 

Good luck!

13 hours ago, Dave3519 said:

Thanks :) Same to you.  As a matter of interest, is your partner an Australian citizen? 

Hi Dave . Yes she's actually got dual Citizenship with SA and AUS. We submitted as a De facto relationship but are getting married in may.

I cannot stress how eager I am to get  my visa so we can move over and start our lives. Everythings kinda on hold till then.

I did medicals and police clearance just before submitting, the day after submission I went and did biometrics. So they have everything I can give them..

I think we both in the same boat - I cant wait to get over. I got married last week to an Australian citizen and have applied for a spousal visa. She actually returns back to Australia today :(

I went for the bio metrics this morning and will hopefully receive the request for the medicals next week. I might preempt the request and get them done early next week.

Please keep me posted on any developments and I will do the same.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

We applied for my wife's 309 visa in October 2016, still haven't received anything. Seems as though it is taking unusually long.

Have you been assigned a case officer and done your medicals?

Edited by Dave3519

HI HermanLJ

I know it is a frustrating process, but you are still well within the 12 - 18 month processing time indicated by the DIBP website. I am afraid that there is not too much you can do to speed it up. **sigh**

Some take longer to process than others, and I personally think it's nothing more than the roll of the dice. The best is just to hang in there, but I know very well that it is much easier said than done. :)

The department will contact you if there is anything outstanding. In my experience the request for further information was soon followed by the request for medicals, with the visa grant following soon thereafter. I was never formally assigned a case officer.

All the best

Anna

I'm into my 3rd month of waiting now. Not a word from them. Its a really frustrating process as life is on hold until I hear further.

Thanks AnnaG. Yes the only thing we can do is wait but it is a bit nerve wracking considering we are planning on flying out in less than 2 months!

@Dave3519 CO has not assigned yet but we did the medicals right at the start when the agent lodged.

I understand your frustrations.

I was hoping to be out of SA by the end of July, but by the look of these threads its highly unlikely.

Fortunately, I have British passport (British Citizen) that allows me spend up to three months in the country on a e-visitor visa. Unfortunately, it does not come with the right to work in the country.

My wife is currently living and working in Melbourne and this time apart and not having a definitive time frame in which the visa will be granted is driving us CRAZY!

Edited by Dave3519

12 minutes ago, Dave3519 said:

I understand your frustrations.

I was hoping to be out of SA by the end of July, but by the look of these threads its highly unlikely.

Fortunately, I have British passport (British Citizen) that allows me spend up to three months in the country on a e-visitor visa. Unfortunately, it does not come with the right to work in the country.

My wife is currently living and working in Melbourne and this time apart and not having a definitive time frame in which the visa will be granted is driving us CRAZY!

Just Check on the type of visa you applied for. I know with mine I have to be outside of Australia when its granted. I'm not sure why , but as I understand it I cant even be there on a visitors visa when the 309 is granted

4 hours ago, HermanLJ said:

it is a bit nerve wracking considering we are planning on flying out in less than 2 months!

I hope for your sake that you haven't booked flights or anything yet that you'll loose money over.  The waiting is frustrating but everybody goes through this stage.  According to the department, partner visas all seem to be a minimum processing time of 11 months at the moment. I've posted the link to the website for you so that you can keep an eye on it and adjust your plans until you have the visa in your hands.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

Family and partner visas
300 Prospective Marriage   12 months 16 months
820 Partner (Temporary)   17 months 20 months
801 Partner (Permanent)   15 months 20 months
309 Partner (Provisional)   11 months 16 months
100 Partner (Migrant)   13 months 22 months
101 Child   8 months 16 months
802 Child   7 months 9 months
445 Dependent Child   7 months 11 months
117 Orphan Relative   26 months 43 months
143 Contributory Parent (Migrant)   33 months 34 months
173 Contributory Parent (Temp)             33 months 34 months

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

Hi All

According to what I have read, there was a bit of a crackdown on partner visas because of the amount of fraud involved. I also think the recent changes to the visa system (with changes to the 457 visa specifically) might be causing delays at DIBP.

It is of course possible to come to Australia on a visitor's visa (sc600) while a decision on your partner visa is pending. You will just have to let the department know, because you need to be offshore when the partner visa is granted if you applied for it offshore. But it would be theoretically possible to fly to Thailand or a place close by when your visa is pending - you don't have to go back to the country where you applied for it. You may just not be in Australia at the time. Also, you will not be allowed to work on a visitor's visa or register for Medicare.

I came to Australia on a visitor's visa while the application on my partner visa was pending, but I let DIBP know what my dates were. My partner visa was granted on the very same day I was back in South Africa.

All things considered, the safest option would still be to just wait until you have that visa in your hands.

My 10 cents worth, everybody's circumstances are different :)

Anna  

• Like 4