How does CO allocation work

Hi,

I just want to understand why some applicants applying for the same visa and destined for same city who have lodged 1-2 weeks after me have already been assigned their case officer and granted visa a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from a CO yet. I'm just getting a little worried that my application could have possibly slipped through the cracks-is this a possibility or am I just being a paranoid?

Hi Acman,

I am not 100% sure but what I have picked up is that perhaps skilled visas with higher points get looked at first and it seems that the applicants are divided and then you are at the mercy of the CO.... If they have leave due to them and they take it you wait..... Just hope nobody gets in the maternity leave queue.... Also I think CO only have a certain number of open cases at once and if those applicants are requiring assistance that is time consuming , the next in line people get to wait. Maybe since the visa grant wand in in slow mo at the moment the CO are sitting with cases open that they can't closes and they are unable to move down the waiting list....

I hope things get moving for you, at this stage I doubt you are 'lost' I am sure you are just close to the front of the slow moving queue.

• Like 1

Thanks Crossingover.

I have noticed though that there are people that have applied for 189 with 60 points, just like me, that applied around same time as me, but have already been given either a direct grant and has had CO allocated end of April...but yes, knowing my luck, I've probably been allocated to a CO that has gone on maternity leave :(.

Looking at the table of allocation dates (https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm), am I correct in thinking that the latest I could expect a CO to be allocated is 10 weeks from lodging? This is my 7th week, so 3 more weeks of waiting :( if that is the case.

Hi there

I'm not sure how many processing centres there are for skilled visas anymore. The department has service standard times in which a percentage of visa applications are allocated, but there are any number of reasons that some people get a CO quicker and some take longer,........it is all a waiting game.

Which priority group are you? As far as I know, Employer Sponsored visas stiil enjoy the highest processing priority

The priority processing arrangements apply to applications for the following visas:

Here is further info on processing times https://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/8.0.htm#b and remember that South Africa is a high risk country, not low risk.

There can also be delays with medicals etc.

• Like 1

Thanks AndreaL.

My priority group is 4 (subclass 189). I haven't organized my medicals yet as I don't have a link under mine and my sons names, just my wife and daughter have the link to organize their medicals - everything else, including PCCs are done and applicable forms uploaded. Waiting on the CO to help us get our HAP IDs so that we can go get our medicals done.

Thanks AndreaL.

My priority group is 4 (subclass 189). I haven't organized my medicals yet as I don't have a link under mine and my sons names, just my wife and daughter have the link to organize their medicals - everything else, including PCCs are done and applicable forms uploaded. Waiting on the CO to help us get our HAP IDs so that we can go get our medicals done.

Ah, that may also explain things, many people frontload their application so it is decision ready, i.e. lodge with medicals. I think you may be able to do a medical declaration and get a number to have them uploaded to the system http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/my-health-declarations.htm

Decision ready cases usually go quicker, if you wait for CO to request info it can take longer, some people lodge a decision ready application and are never even aware that they have a CO until they get notification of a visa grant.

I would have been able to but reading that web page it seems that because i've already lodged my application, I need to wait for the co to give us our HAP IDs.

Hi acmac,

My agents lodged our Visa for a 489 State sponsorship on Friday the 14th March and we receiced our Case Officer on Friday the 9th May, exactly 8 weeks from lodging. Just waiting for a decision now.

I know the 489 is priority 3.

I am sure you will get your CO in the next week or so. Hang in there.

Edited by PARKS
  • Like 1

Do you know how long it takes from getting a Case Officer to Visa grant? Received our CO on Friday and agent uploaded all required documents and now we wait.

Also when we log into immi site under our profile it stills shows documents as requested and not received although our agent has uploaded them is this normal? Are they slow to update their site.

Thanks

don't worry, in a day or 2 the status of those requested documents will change - I ran into the same issue, and uploaded double, only to find the status hadn't changed - but then a day or 2 later the status reflected correctly.

From what I've seen, they can come back within a week or so and grant you the visa, otherwise they have up to 28 days to get back to you with successful grant or not - but at this stage I think you're pretty much safe

don't worry, in a day or 2 the status of those requested documents will change - I ran into the same issue, and uploaded double, only to find the status hadn't changed - but then a day or 2 later the status reflected correctly.

From what I've seen, they can come back within a week or so and grant you the visa, otherwise they have up to 28 days to get back to you with successful grant or not - but at this stage I think you're pretty much safe

Actually, the 28 day period is the timeframe DIBP grant you when they request further information (you have 28 days to furnish what is asked). I seem to recall reading somewhere that the average is about 3 months from CO to grant, however, some are granted within weeks and others take much longer for a myriad of reasons.

Here is a thread re 189's from September last year http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40653-timeline-for-189-visa/

I have had a scout on the internet re timelines and the quickest I have seen is 2 days, just remember that the processing of medicals etc can affect the timeline.

Still no CO after 8 weeks :(...this waiting is killing me... My status on the online.immi.gov.au site has been "In Progress" since lodging - really hope soon

Edited by acmac

It's starting to worry me a little - I see many others have had COs allocated and grants...do you perhaps I should try contact the DIAC to find out as I read someone else's post that they were in a similar situation, and when they finally phoned the DIAC, they found their CO was on extended leave and within a day or 2 was allocated a new CO and granted the visa.

If you think phoning the DIAC is a good idea, are there any contact numbers. I know the numbers mentioned on the http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/our-telephone-numbers.aspx site, i.e. 131 881. but that is if I'm in Oz, and then there are the Service Delivery Partner - VFS Globa for South Africa - do I just contact them?

I lodged my 186 in May 2013, and heard nothing until April 2014, when i lodged a complaint. The same day I got a CO. but for my sins I had to withdraw. I say give them a call/email them, no harm no foul.

• Like 1

There are a few landlines listed under the 'Offices in Australia' link. ACT switchboard 02 6264 1111. Sydney 02 8862 6096. Not sure where yours is being processed acmac. Good luck, I'm sure it's all fine, but the wait is excruciating.

• Like 1

I hope so. This waiting is very painful. ill try those numbers - thanks Bronwyn

Oh dear acmac, I've been offline for a couple of weeks after moving and waiting for dear old telkom to come and install our adsl, and I was hoping that I'd finally log in tonight and see that you've been assigned a CO! Sorry to see its not the case!

I really hope it happens soon - I'm holding thumbs! I think you should contact them - you have nothing to loose!

Good luck and keep us all updated!

• Like 1

Thanks so much. I tried for the first time to contact DIAC and I was on hold for ages before I gave up. My brother in-law who lives in Melbourne said he would try then, and eventually he got through after 20 minutes on hold only to be referred to another phone number to find out if we have a CO assigned or when we may expect one, as it's our 9th week this coming week. Very frustrating...

Acmac, he will be very lucky if they tell him. You will have filled in a form consenting on how you would like the department to contact you and they usually don't deviate from it. ( weeks is still not very long, I know it is hard but nothing will make it go quicker......hang in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The CO has only requested our Medicals to be done, so I'm guessing everything else is in order? We booked our medicals for 09h00 tomorrow morning in Pretoria - I wonder how long it will take for the medicals to be sent to the CO and for her to reach her decision to either grant or reject - I really hope not long, I'm tired of the waiting now.

The CO has only requested our Medicals to be done, so I'm guessing everything else is in order? We booked our medicals for 09h00 tomorrow morning in Pretoria - I wonder how long it will take for the medicals to be sent to the CO and for her to reach her decision to either grant or reject - I really hope not long, I'm tired of the waiting now.

To my knowledge, medical request is like a 'yes' as long as you pass the meds, you are approved.

Awesome!!! I think we should be in the clear regarding the meds, nothing we know of that could prevent us from passing. Getting ready in a couple of minutes to go...

Finally Have CO Allocated

Requested Bank statements for 4 years, payslips and tax returns.

• Like 2

Medicals are pretty quick. Once your blood results are back (which takes about 2-3 days), your medicals are loaded on to the system and sent to the CO.

I think we will all do a little dance and clap our hands when that visa comes through for you Acmac :D

• Like 1