Greetings to the forum

GandTash

Right, guilty as charged, my wife and I have been trawling this forum since November last year when we made the official decision to emigrate to Oz and I have not made one post to introduce ourselves – decided its time now !

Firstly a big thanks for this forum, it is a huge source of info and very helpful for newbies like us. We have been discussing emigration to Oz for a few months last year but the birth of our son kick started the process and we officially started the application through Migrate2Oz at the end of Jan 2015, we are applying for 189 PR VISA through myself and so far I have got my positive skills assessment through ACS and finally received my IELTS results this last Friday – needed 8.0 band score and got 8.5 so very relieved, to others that are waiting to write IELTS – I was very nervous but as a person with English as my first language I did not find the test as bad as many people make out, I prepared by doing the practice tests on the IELTS candidate area and passed comfortably (Listening 8.5, Reading 9.0, writing 8.0, speaking 9.0) If English is not your first language I would imagine the test is much more of a challenge and would recommend more practice tests etc.

We should be lodging EOI this week hopefully and then can get the process finished and get out of this god forsaken place as soon as possible :ilikeit: For those already over there – don’t doubt for a minute your decision – its deteriorating fast here into another lawless African country (I have traveled through Africa with work so I know first-hand)

We cannot wait to leave to start our new life in a civilized country (decided on Perth at this stage), My credit cards are already taking much abuse to pay for this application process so we will not be able to do an LSD, we will basically sell most our stuff, ship the rest and arrive quite possibly with no initial job – I still feel we will be better off in that scenario than staying here and watching out child grow up in this violence and racism.

Thanks again for this forum and we will update on our progress, if anyone has any questions on the IELTS let me know, I wrote it on 14 Mar so still fairly fresh in my memory.

Gareth

• Like 3

Welcome and all the very best in your journey.

The whole process comes with all the ups, downs, frustrations, etc. Trust me, we been through it and after 18 months in Oz, still not completely settled in. In our case it has been a lot harder as we are trying to establish our own business. Not easy (to put it mildly).

But despite all this, our only regret is that we did not make the move lot earlier. This is a wonderful place and we are grateful that we were blessed to be able to get the opportunity.

Brace your self for the ride. But with planning and determination you will not go wrong.

Once you get here, every time you ask your self if the move was worth it (believe me you will ask this question over and over during your settling down process), remind your self why you decided to move in the first place.

Welcome to the forum, officially! May the rest of your journey be a smooth one!

Welcome GandTash . Hope it's a smooth process for you and all the best !

We're also planning on no LSD, selling up most things and possibly no employment upfront.

Hello Gandtash,

welcome to the forum and well done for getting out of your lurker state :-)

Your story could be ours too, as when our son was born (hes 3 now) we decided we had to start the move. Funny isnt it that as parents we can become so protective and having a child can take the blinkers off. Its that protective instinct that kicks in. We only want the best for our son and want him to grow up in safety and to have equal opportunites. I dont see that for him here. We have our PR visa and hopefully be moving to oz next year or the year after, Before 2017 anyway. A few things to finalise this end and then thats it. We also do not foresee us getting jobs before we land, so it will be very scary im sure to jump into the unknown, no matter how much you plan its going to be tough. But Im sure with alot of perseverance and faith all things are possible.

Welcome to the forum and here is wishing you and your family all the best:-)

Edited by Guest

Welcome aboard GandTash!

Best choice you could make by getting started here on this forum. These guys are all great, always willing to give some advise or a helping hand. There might be an a..hole or 2, but I'm sure you'll just ignore them like the rest of us... Best of luck for your journey.

Hi GandTash,

similarly to you we began the process when the boss was pregnant. While some (not on the forum) may consider it a selfish move, I think it is quite selfless.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't know about the forum before I applied but managed to secure a 189 on my own with all the information on the immi website.

We checked in last year October, have packed the house and are leaving to Sydney in 3 weeks...

For me the value in this forum has been that it gave me some sort of confidence to uproot everyone and move without a job as others have done and also being a reality check where I now have no disilution that life on the other side may be really tough.

All the best in your quest.