Bringing Foster Child to Aus

Riekie

We have a "foster child" who has stayed with us most holidays & weekends over a period of about 5 years and, at a stage, also lived with us permanently while we were still in RSA. We had to leave her behind when we came to Australia as she was still under-aged and even though she was a ward of the state, her biological father would not let her come with us. She will be 18 this year and we want to bring her to Australia but I don't even know where to start as this is such a unique situation! A friend of my son wanted to visit earlier in the year and her visa was declined because she was already 18 and not a permanent student of working full time in RSA, which does not give me much hope for "our child"! Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Guest colton

Hi Riekie

I know where you are coming from. My whole family will be moving over in Nov/Dec and I am battling to get my brother in with us. He has lived with us since he was 12 and I have carried all costs such as schooling, food, etc. He will be 23 in August and the Aus government will only grant him a visa on his own points, which he doesn't have enough of. Queensland Girl suggested a student VISA which seems to be the only way to bring him over and we are working on that. Maybe you can go that route?

I know how you feel, leaving my baby brother, the laat lammetjie, behind is like leaving one of my own kids behind. It has got to the stage if I can't take him with us we won't go but he insists on us going anyway! I don't know how you walked away when you left, don't know if I am going to be able to do that!

Good luck

Thanks for that Colton! Just shows you that every family has their own untold stories and heartbreak. I can just imagine what you must be going through with your brother! It broke our hearts to leave her behind but we had no other choice. If we could adopt her before we left, it would have been no problem, but that was not an option. It's a very complicated situation. We wanted her to visit now in the July school holidays and the people she lives with at the moment refused!!

Thanks for the advise, we will investigate the study option. Do you know what the options would be when your study visa expires? I mean, if she - or your brother - does not qualify now for PR, how would they after they studied here?... I don't want to give this child false hope and I don't want to bring her here and then have to send her back again!!

HI Riekie,

I touched on this in Willie's post on the problem with his son's visa. The government is very strict on who they allow in. We tried to bring a relative, who was physically, emotionally and psychologically dependant on us. I wrote them a letter pleading them to let me bring him with me, explaining what I knew would happen if we had to leave him there. Someone up there made a decision. Now his life is ruined. We tried leaving him in a stable environment, with a job, friends and a home, but he is so emotionally unstable, that he soon went back to his old ways without our constant supervision, love and support. If he were a bad person, it would have made sense... but he is one of the dearest people I know. We just had some very bad news about him yesterday. My heart is in tatters, and I am blaming the Australian government. I know it is irrational, and I now it was all his own fault. But at this moment i need someone to blame and be angry at.

Sorry I am not really answering your question, just venting my feelings. I know what you feel like leaving someone that you love so much, to their own, or other people's devices, and not really knowing what is going on.

Greetings

Dreamy :ilikeit:

Guest colton

If they do a 2 year course they can apply for PR after completion. Sorry not a computer boffin so can't post links but if you look under student visas for australia you will get all the details.

Hope you come right. I have hit a snag so stress levels are very high here at the moment.

Good luck

Edited by colton

Thanks Colton! I'll investigate that option. At least there's hope..!!