IT in Adelaide

Esthee

Hi,

We really want to relocate to Adelaide, as my sister and her family is also relocating to Adelaide. I'm a technical writer by profession and the fiance will be opening his own software company. How big and active is the IT Industry in Adelaide and will I be able to get a position quickly? I've searched on Seek and have only found 4 technical writing positions in Adelaide. Most of the other available positions are only in Perth or Sydney. With which SA city would you compare the local economy and industry of Adelaide with?

Hi,

We really want to relocate to Adelaide, as my sister and her family is also relocating to Adelaide. I'm a technical writer by profession and the fiance will be opening his own software company. How big and active is the IT Industry in Adelaide and will I be able to get a position quickly? I've searched on Seek and have only found 4 technical writing positions in Adelaide. Most of the other available positions are only in Perth or Sydney. With which SA city would you compare the local economy and industry of Adelaide with?

Hi Savanah,

One of my fiance's work colleagues emigrated to Adelaide about a year or so ago, her husband transferred to an IT company from one of their partners here in South Africa. Unfortunately I don't think they're hiring right now (I asked, was in the same boat). However, from what I hear, Adelaide could be compared with George or Knysna (maybe a bit bigger). It's not small, but bustling metropolis it is not.

It's not exactly a booming IT town either (Melbourne and Sydney are a better bet for that). When I was looking for IT jobs on Seek (try gurus.com.au too), I was finding about 20-40 a day for Melbourne, 7-10 a day for Perth, and maybe one or two a week for Adelaide. That was for .NET development, which is in really high demand.

I think you might actually have better luck if you contact companies that have branches in many or most cities, for instance Optus (telecoms) or Telstra or something like that, or the banks (ANZ, Commonweath, WestPac). My logic is that if they will have a permament, bigger pool of jobs available, and might be able to place you in someplace like Adelaide, because all the other IT people are headed for Melbourne :whome:. Do NOT lose hope tho, and keep trying, sooner or later you'll find something, there's such a skills vacuum over there that I am sure you'll come up with something.

Best of luck! :)

P.S. Adelaide is apparently about an hour's flying time from Melbourne. May be something to think about?

Edited by wislon