Nammer: Desperate New Comers!!!!!!!!!!

Nammer

Hi to everyone.

It seems that everyone is saffers. We, myself, a lawyer, and my fiancée, self-employed, are from Namibia. Hence being a Nammer. I am not actually sure if this terminology is correct but there does not seem to be any nammers out there.... so please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe I have just started a new lingo. (We still consider SA and Nam to be one country and are citizens of both, so hopefully we will be accepted in your forum. :ilikeit:

I have been reading this forum for two years deciding whether we should take the plunge or not, so I feel like I know most of you, almost like family if you catch my drift.

We count ourselves lucky, we do not have any horrifying stories to tell. Namibia is actually a very safe country to live in. We do not know about high jackings, violent crime etc. However, this does not mean that there is not crime. But all in all life is good, very good.

So why leave??? Yes, that is the million dollars question. We have been independent for 4 years longer than SA and must admit that we have done a much better job at the whole thing than "die manne daar oorkant die oranje rivier". That being said, our economy rises and falls with that of SA, so draw your own conclusions. Furthermore, when these senseless murders, rapes etc. started, those of us who stayed behind in SA/Nam always thought that things will get better, always hoping. Die hoop beskaam nie...... When our currency plummeted, we said no it will get better. I can go on the whole day....

Guys, you know what????? IT NEVER GOT BETTER AND IT NEVER WILL, WE JUST GOT USED TO IT. Remember Zim was also in the headlines some time back. And now? No one even seems to bother anymore, because that is just the way things are.

Now with this power fiasco my fiancée is not even able to continue with his business since the people in Jozi cannot supply what is needed. What a laugh!!! How long until Zim = SA = Nam. No one knows. Maar glo my vry, in my opinie, die skrif is aan die muur!!!!!

Since I have been reading the forum so much; wil ek net ook die volgende klippe in die bos gooi......

I have read the thread about the agents and would like to share my experience. Believe it or not, we have decided to immigrate 15 MONTHS AGO BUT NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO HELP US. First we approached Hitchcock & Associates, after completing the assessment forms and sending them all the info they needed, we heard nothing from them FOR THREE MONTHS. A lady from OZ phoned one day and assured me that they are working on your case and that we need to still send other additional info. THAT WAS LAST YEAR FEBURAURY!!!!!! I then approached another girl there, who assisted friends of ours to get to OZ. Also no joy forthcoming... we are still waiting!!!! Seems we have got a very complicated case. :blink:

We then went to migration expert. Also the same story. These $%^& actually got money out of us!!!!!

Third time lucky? End of Oct last year we signed with network migration services. I have read that some people complained about them terribly. Luckily for us we are not there yet. They have been really good so far, responding and sending docs back and forth. I on the other hand I am extremely frustrated, it has been 3 months and there is nothing that I can show for it, no progress, &**&^%, nada!!!! Today I was informed that there is a waiting list for the business plans to be drafted. That I understand, but we were not informed that we needed to wait at all. Maybe I am unreasonable but at this stage I DO NOT CARE!!!!! I HAVE PAID GOOD MONEY TO GET THE WORK DONE.

SO PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Dit voel asof ek my hare uit my kop kan trek!!!!! I have a B.A ( Law) and LLB degree from Stellenbosch and a LLM from Unisa. I am furthermore a qualified conveyance. However, I was informed that do the skills assessment route, I need to do extra subjects, that bridging course blah, blah, blah. This takes two years if I am lucky and is very, very expensive. So therefore, we decided to opt for the “business route”. Is this right? With the business plan etc. NOW IT SEEMS THAT WE STILL HAVE TO WAIT FRO THIS TO GET DONE, NO ONE KNOWS FOR HOW LONG!!!!!!

Mense ASSEBLIEF HELP!!!! SE NET WAT JULLE WIL HE!!!! BILTONG, OXO, MRS BALLS, SE NET EK STUUR DIT, ENIGE IETS VIR HULP!!!!!! ONS IS DESPERAAT. My fiancée has a diploma from Cape Tech in Business Management and has owned and managed his own companies for 15 years. Please, Please advise. Miskien kan ons net oorvlieg en as ons daar kom kan ons alles doen???? :blush:

Ek is raadop en voel rerig asof ek wil huil, die mense is almal besig om ons kosbare tyd en geld te mors.

Ek hoop darem dat iemand my sal antwoord, ek kal nie altyd so baie nie, net vandag, bietjie gatvol. :o

Hello Nammer,

I would say welcome, but it seems you have been here two years longer than I have, so that would be weird. :o

I can't offer any advice regarding law, unfortunately. I am very happy with my migration agency (Migrate2Oz), but I reckon you've already spent too much to try yet another agent at this stage. :blink:

I hope someone here on the forum will be able to help you.

I wish you the best of luck!

Mark

Hi Nammer and WELCOME!!!! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Believe it or not, but you're not the only 'Namibian' on the forum - have seen a few on here.

Can relate to all you're feeling and experiencing, even if you're 'safe'...I say get out of Africa if and when you can. No need to wait and gamble with the future.

Anyway, you'll see that many forumites have handled their visa applications themselves - very successfully I might add.

Visit Department of Immigration and Citizenship's (DIAC's) website if you haven't done so already: www.immi.gov.au With a lot of reading, you are bound to find all the information you need on there.

I wouldn't necessarily advise you against the business visa, but I've heard that it's quite a hard visa...requiring you to set up a business in Oz within a certain time and prove a certain Australian staff complement and turnover with a certain period.

As a lawyer, you score 60 points for your occupation, which is great. So you and your fiancé can both go on your skills.

However...most lawyers have to do exams in order to attain a positive skills assessment. Many SA lawyers do these exams via UNE (University of New England) in Oz, though it's not your only choice. You then in essence study online via UNE in Oz, but write your exams her in SA. My advice would be to search 'lawyers' or even 'UNE' via the search function on the forum.

The exams take about a year, as far as I've heard!

Sorry for not being to offer any more info/advice at the moment...but keep posting and ask ask ASK - there are many people with fantastic knowledge who can help you along the way.

Best of luck!

Edited by kangaroo

Hi Mark Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I only joined today though. However, if you know anything about retail/business etc. taht will also do.

Best of luck to you too.

Hi there Kangaroo

If only the migration agents were as quick and effective as you!!!! I have already checked out that website but due to the costs and time involved in requalifying, have decided against it. Do you maybe know whether the one with the business experience would eb able to qualify with the skills assesment?

Good luck, seems you are leaving soon. I am indeed jealous....

Hi Nammer

We have three qualified and registered migration agents that assist on this site, they are extremely helpful, PM them if you have an urgent question.

customeyes

fiona

ptlabs

They will set you right!

Hi Nammer,

Welcome to the forum, and I hope that you can get down to business with your visa application process now.

I would say welcome, but it seems you have been here two years longer than I have, so that would be weird.
I must say the same as Tobold here!

I must also second Kangaroo and let you know that many people with clear-cut professions can and do lodge their applications themselves (especially electronically - see immi.gov - and the process can go relatively quickly).

My thoughts to add - My partner and I are also both registered professionals, but that does not seem to be a "Collect R200 and proceed to GO" card for any one of us, I am afraid :ilikeit: . It may sound weird, but I hope that this may, at least, be some form of consolation. We're all in the same boat, no?

My PE pharmacist friend will have to write exams when she lands in Aus, I know of a psychologist in Aus who had to work for a year under supervision at first, and for many other professions there is some sort of control mechanism in place to recognise / allow you to go out and work when you get there.

Pity, hey, 'cause we thought that we had already done that years ago when we qualified and registered here in SA (or Namibia) to do whatever it is that we do do well? But, so it goes. I try to think to myself that it is actually better this way. I would not want to land in Aus, after all of my time and effort spent on getting there, to find that some person from who-knows-where-ville is now a "registered professional whatever" but does not have a clue.

It sounds as if Aus is equally strict on health entrance criteria, even bringing in wooden furniture (must not be infected). These may be a bother for me to sort out before getting there, but I can just imagine that, once I am there, I will be only too supportive of "my" country continuing to exercise these prerequisites.

(All of) that said - I do hope that you find a quick and self-confirming way of getting there!

Cheers,

TereMel

Hello Nammer,

I would say welcome, but it seems you have been here two years longer than I have, so that would be weird. :blush:

I can't offer any advice regarding law, unfortunately. I am very happy with my migration agency (Migrate2Oz), but I reckon you've already spent too much to try yet another agent at this stage. :thumbdown:

I hope someone here on the forum will be able to help you.

I wish you the best of luck!

Mark

Hi tobold - I am also to write the dreaded english exam on the 12/04/08 in JHB - so will definetly see you there. I am registered to do the Workshop on the 5/04/08. GOODLUCK

Hi Nammer, welcome to the forum. True South Westers are Mauritz and Suidwes. If staying in SWA for 5 year is ok then count me in. (we left just after the takeover but still went fishing/camping every year at Mile 72 for the next 6 years)

Hope someone can help with your problem.

Regards Rina

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nammer,

Couldn't your fiance get a skills assessment through AIM i.r.o. his management studies and 5yrs+ management experience - check out their site http://www.aim.com.au/.

Good luck!

Mel

Hi there MelG

Thanks for this info, will try to navigate the site. I'm a bit technologically challenged so I might have to request your help. :ilikeit:

Hi Nammer, welcome to the forum. True South Westers are Mauritz and Suidwes. If staying in SWA for 5 year is ok then count me in. (we left just after the takeover but still went fishing/camping every year at Mile 72 for the next 6 years)

Hope someone can help with your problem.

Regards Rina

Hi Rina

Natuurlik tel jy!!! 5 jaar!!! Jy sou al PR hier gehad het.............O ja, vergeet ons soek die PR elders

Baie welkom hier op die forum!

Elize

Baie dankie, sjoe, maak daardie pers onderskrifie op die tydlyn my JALOERS!!!!!!!!! :ilikeit: