ADSL Router - take with or leave behind

starfish

Can anyone tell me if its worth bringing my current ADSL router (a ZyXEL P2602 which I got free from Telkom) to Australia, or do the ISPs there supply routers with their broadband offerings ?

Regards,

Scott

This is an interesting question, I cannot see why it would not work, but I am not sure.

You could try posting the question on http://www.mybroadband.co.za/

Bigpond has heaps of offers for ADSL that include a free modem which you know will work.

Leave it. The firmware on these routers need to be customised for Austel or Telepermit (NZ). Although Zyxel have downloads with Aussie firmware, you cannot guarantee that there hasn't been an SA mod done to it if it was one of those "freebie" modems with sign up (Network locked). ADSL modems are pretty cheap in Aus

I hav another question regarding routers. I have a wireless broad band router using a vodafone (3G/HSDPA) would that we worth while taking with. I would find it easy to off load this side but would rather take it with.

Any information would be appreciated

K&B

hi

Look in on the following site. Might help.

www.aapt.com.au Pricing and various packages for both phone lines and broadband.

Regards

Debra

5G for $39 that's nice and cheap. Thanks for that Debs, Maybe you can help or one of the IT wizzes on thr forum. I have a Linksys wireless router for 3G / UMTS broadband with a vodafone 3G card. I was wondering if this would be of any use in Oz, or shou;d i off poad it this side?

K&B

Not to sure i have sent a query through to AApt customer care RE: ours. Think you could do like wise, sure they could tell you the finer bitz. Been told it is not worth bringing over, so might just cash in.

5G for $39 that's nice and cheap. Thanks for that Debs, Maybe you can help or one of the IT wizzes on thr forum. I have a Linksys wireless router for 3G / UMTS broadband with a vodafone 3G card. I was wondering if this would be of any use in Oz, or shou;d i off poad it this side?

K&B

Yep bring the Router with. The Vodafone / Linksys uses standardised GSM technology (SIM cards) and doesn't rely on a fixed line technology. Vodafone sells the same product globally but under different names (Vodem, Gogga, etc.)

Just get another SIM in Aus with a data plan and you're good to go

Edited by Mythryl

Yep bring the Router with. The Vodafone / Linksys uses standardised GSM technology (SIM cards) and doesn't rely on a fixed line technology. Vodafone sells the same product globally but under different names (Vodem, Gogga, etc.)

Just get another SIM in Aus with a data plan and you're good to go

Hi there, good topic - was just wondering the same!

I also have one of those vodafone USB HSDPA/3G little pod type modems that I use on my notebook and was wondering if it would be worthwhile bringing along - looks like it is.

Also, we are looking at buying a new notebook. Dell is my particular flavour and they come with built-in HSDPA/3G modems. Would it be worthwhile adding this functionality or should we wait until we get to Aus......would it also be as easy as just putting in an Aussie SIM and away you go?

Can anyone tell me if its worth bringing my current ADSL router (a ZyXEL P2602 which I got free from Telkom) to Australia, or do the ISPs there supply routers with their broadband offerings ?

Regards,

Scott

Hi there,

I know that some of the DSL Routers are locked by the server providers. You need to find out if yours are locked or not.

Regards,