Hi, We`re new

Chelsea

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and i have finally started the process of applying for immigration. We`ve known for a very long time that that`s what we want to do, but somehow just never got round to starting the application.So here we are!

I have a sister and brother-in-law in Brisbane, another one following in June, and the aim is to get my parents over too... ASAP.

My fiance is an electrician by trade, but has had his own company for the past 6 years, specializing in metering services. If anyone has any advise for us regarding the choice of visas etc - please send it!

Can anyone tell me, would I (as the dependant) also need to do the IELTS test, or is it only applicable to the main applicant?

Thanks everyone ;)

Hi Chelsea and welcome!

If youa re applying for PR the main applicant and any dependant over the age of 18 (I think) will need to do the IELTS test.

Good luck with you application prep!

Nats

Hi

On PR Visa all persons over 18 must write IELTS test.

On 457 Visa, only the main applicant needs to prove english proficiency (letter form high school or university stating you studied in English).

457 is the fastest wa and cheapest way in... then apply for PR...

Thats my route anyway

:cry:

Hi

On 457 Visa, only the main applicant needs to prove english proficiency (letter form high school or university stating you studied in English).

457 is the fastest wa and cheapest way in... then apply for PR...

Thats my route anyway

B)

Sorry guys, but that info is not correct. The secondary applicant doesn't need to write the IELTS IF they completed 5 years of secondary schooling in an English medium school, or if their primary and at least 3 years of secondary education was in an English medium school.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your application.

Hi Chelsea

First of all, a warm welcome to the forum.

My hubby's a plumber so we applied for the Independent General Skilled Migration 136 paper-based application - now the 175 (permanent residency).

The 457 is quicker to obtain, if you can get someone willing to offer him a job and go through the motions - then you can apply for PR once you are in Oz. We just decided to go PR from the start because we didn't want to be bound to one employer for the specified two years on the 457 visa - also, at the time we applied, there were huge delays with the 457's but I think that's been sorted out now.

As for the IELTS, we were told by our agent that we both had to do the IELTS - don't know if this rule has somehow over the last couple of months changed at all.

Really hope this helps.

Anymore questions, just shout - the forumites are wonderful with their assistance.

RoMar

p.s. Thanks for clearing up the IELTS question Customeyes! Seems like the bloody British Council made money out of us, that's for sure.

Edited by RoMar

Hi Chelsea,

And welcome to the forum.

I would advise going ahead and writing the IELTS English test anyway. There may be benefits of doing so:

- you may score extra points for your PA

- it is a clear way of proving language ability (deh, look at ma points!)

- you could use it (it is valid for 2 years) to enter training /work that has English requirements in Aus when you're there

Also:

- many people say that it is not too difficult to score the min. required

- the earliest available dates get further and further away (I write on 10 May!!), and

- Aus visa requirements change (it seems regularly) and you may then have to do it in the future.

It costs R 1564 now, but is exchange rate linked, so may go up as well. There are also lots of preparation guidelines, practice examples, so definitely do-able.

All of the best,

TereMel

Can you write that IELTS once in Aus? For instance if you go over on the 457 and then want to apply for PR?

Chelsea, I am so sorry to hijack you thread with my previous question. It is very rude.

Welcome, everyone is incredibly helpful and everything you need to know is here.

Sorry guys, but that info is not correct. The secondary applicant doesn't need to write the IELTS IF they completed 5 years of secondary schooling in an English medium school, or if their primary and at least 3 years of secondary education was in an English medium school.

Hi :whome:

Thanks to everyone for the lovely welcome notes and all the info. We applied today for our unabridged birth certificates...so we`re on our way!!!

Can you write that IELTS once in Aus? For instance if you go over on the 457 and then want to apply for PR?

Yes you can, we did! $280 per person and the waiting list is shorter.

We had applied for PR and got CO just as our 457 was granted, so we didn't have time to do the medicals and IELTS before coming to Aus. That's why we did above mentioned in Brisbane. Oh just by the way there are two centers where you can do the test in Brissie and some more up the coast.

Isnt that what I said? :ilikeit:

Isnt that what I said? :)

You did say that, but only of the 457 visa. But you also said:

And therein lies the confusion! :(

You did say that, but only of the 457 visa. But you also said:

And therein lies the confusion! ;)

AAh! Thanks for that. :blush:

I will rather stick to commenting on what I know. i.e. 457 ONLY. Have yet to do the PR thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chelsea!

A very belated welcome to you - good to see you are getting active on the forum, I have been a bit absent from the forum of late.....I guess I can't really be calling myself "chatter" bug.....I'll just be known as bug right now, but hearing these positive moves (in the right direction) might just get me more active!

Yip I have a vested interest here - I am the "brother-in -law"........

Cheers

BUG