*PING* Bob and the rest of clan Adelaide...

BeeTee

Hi Everyone,

<sigh>

Days like these..."travelling" for more than an hour to do 20k's from home to work...makes me realise maybe I'm tired of Brisbane...the wife agrees...even back in Gauteng (pre-loadshedding days) I never had SUCH bad traffic...lived in Centurion, worked in Florida...then again I got to work at 6:30 and left at 3:30 every day to miss the major part of the traffic...

Anyways, seems we might even find employment in Adelaide...we'll probably do a LSD to Adelaide soon...

So, to all the Adelaide-ians out there, what is Adelaide REALLY like?

Unfortunately, Jaco, you still have to get out of bed in the morning to drag yourself off to work in Adelaide.

That's the bad side of living in Adelaide.

The good side is that you don't need to travel for hours in and around Adelaide.

Living in the Adelaide Hills, especially at this time of year, is brilliant . . . . . nice, dry warm climate, driving thro winding countryside along the Freeway at 110 km/hr to get into the city for work.

The beaches are only 40 to 50 mins away at a leisurely drive.

The thing I really appreciate about Adelaide is that it is relaxed and you can still find a park for your car and it's not too congested. Lifestyle is just not frantic like in some other cities I can think of.

House prices are the lowest in Australia, I believe, although are trying to keep up.

South Australia is set to cash in on the minerals boom in this State that has helped propel Queensland's and Western Australia's economies for the past couple of decades.

Every place has its pros and cons, so it may be a case of popping over for a week or two to check things out some time.

Flights are not that expensive nowadays from Brisbane to Adelaide.

Hi Jaco

Dis lekker by die see hier in Adelaide.

Good idea to do LSD trip to Adelaide before you decide to move. We lived in Brisbane for our first year Oz and loved it. Peak hour traffic along the Centenary Highway could be fun at times.

We have lived in Adelaide for a number of years now and love it here too.

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Peak hour traffic along the Centanary Highway could be fun at times.

At the moment we live in the South West of Brisbane - Sinnamon Park, so if it's not battling to find a park at the park and ride (5 minute window of opportunity - you miss it, you park in the street) you're stuck on the Centenary highway...it's getting worse...with more and more NSW'ers and VIC'ers "emigrating" to Queensland's SE corner, we've only been here a year and a half and already we can see the effects - it's no joke...

When we left for Brisbane we thought the lifestyle would be laid back, slow paced unlike Sydney/Melbourne. Which is it to an extent - but lately I cannot help but wonder if Brisbane has seriously started catching up with Sydney/Melbourne in the rush everywhere and congestion, and everywhere you go there's just throngs and throngs of people and you have to compete with every man and his dog just to get somewhere etc...

I can do with Adelaide's laid back lifestyle believe me...

Hehehe Bob you're right, makes it worse though "artificially" adding more stress than is neccessary :D

I'm not even talking about house prices - who can afford a house these days in Brisbane?! :blink: Unless you're willing to live a 2 hours commute (on a good day) away...

I think I'm a little disillusioned with the whole Queensland/SE Queensland :)

You must please excuse me if this is a stupid question, are there any public transport alternatives that you can use on your way to work? I'm just interested in learning a bit more :blink:

There's nothing wrong with trying a city out and finding that it doesn't deliver the appropriate lifestyle so you decide to move on.

Adelaide can't be "all things to all men" either. It will be a paradise for some, a "backwater" for others.

Brisbane was great when I lived there . . . . but that was back in 1973!

It was about the same size as Perth and Adelaide back then, had a very "Australian" population and was laid back.

I guess with progress comes some downsides, but the south east corner of Queensland is starting to become an urban sprawl from Brisbane all the way down to the New South Wales border and beyond, with all its associated headaches.

If Brisbane isn't your cup of tea, you're most welcome to check out Adelaide.

Let me know when you plan on visiting.

I've got only positive things to say about Adelaide. Friendly, helpful, people, beautiful scenery, lovely suburbs and good weather. What more can one ask for?

We are here one year now, we plan to buy a property in Adelaide and I will never move to another town/city.

Hope this will assist you in your decision.... :whome:

Regards,

Kannidood.

Bob I would love to meet you in person, go for a cold XXX Gold draught somewhere and chat...we'll probably try and look you up when we're in the area :holy:

My brother in law visited Adelaide a few months ago for a 2 week training course, he's in Canberra at the moment, he reckoned afterwards that if it wasn't for his mates back in Canberra, he would have "emigrated" there in a heart beat...we share the same tastes more or less so that is a good indication already as far as I'm concerned B)

The Government is already checking out flight times over the Easter long weekend, we've got some flights in credit with Virgin Blue after their monumental stuff up over the Xmas period with our tickets...that's another story...

So we'll be using our free flights to Adelaide most probably, add a day or two's leave and stay somewhere in Adelaide for a couple of days to really get a feel for the place and explore it properly :ilikeit:

Any suggestions on where to stay for a few days that would:

1). be as central as possible to everything we have to see/hear/smell/feel

2). won't break the bank (too much :blush: )?

Any suggestions on which suburbs to give the highest priority in our recconaisance? ;)

Places to see/go?

I am going away to the "High Country" in Victoria for 10 days, leaving Easter with a mob of mates in 4WDs.

Back Sat 29th March.

You bring the XXXXs, I'll meet you :lol:

I am going away to the "High Country" in Victoria for 10 days, leaving Easter with a mob of mates in 4WDs.

Back Sat 29th March.

You bring the XXXXs, I'll meet you :)

Sounds like a plan! :o

So Bob, which one did you vote for? Adelaide a backwater? :ilikeit:

What is your take on that?

How many of you are coming over?

There's you . . . . . with the XXXX . . . and a wife and kids??