AUSTRALIAN SCHOOL CURRICULUM

Dolfyntjie

Does anyone know of a website where I can download the Australian School Curriculum for Primary Schools? I want to have a look at it before I make my final descision to immigrate to OZ :cry:

Thank you.

Lizette

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dax

• Dolfyntjie

• Tracy

• somarie

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lizette,

Each state does it's own thing, so you'd need to know which one first, Google it, find their education website and scout around.

However, for what it's worth, I wouldn't let that information be your final make or break decision about coming here.

I'm only a high school teacher, but I would think that whatever happens in the foundation/primary phases is more than sufficient to get high school kids to Uni.

I haven't come across a primary school child that has been disadvantaged by this education system and cannot cope when they get to my level or beyond. Yes, I have my own misgivings about some aspects of education in Aus, but the kids make it through.

My own child is in school here.

Sometimes it's not only the curriculum that you need to worry about; it's safety in school, safety getting to school and safety getting home from school. It's about equality and fairness and having more laws than you can shake a stick at to protect your kids! How many of your child's existing/future teachers will ever have a police check done on them in SA??

Hope that helps a bit to ease your mind.

Edited by Tracy

Hier is NSW s'n: http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/ Hoop dit help....

Daar is sekere standaarde wat deurlopend is, maar ander verskil van staat tot staat. Jy kan ook hier probeer vir info: http://www.education.gov.au/goved/go

PS: Laerskole hier word "public schools" genoem... (Dit sal jou in jou internet soektog na info help... :cry: )

Thanx Riekie and Tracy for the info. I just don't know what to expect from the curriculum in OZ. What problems are there in the schools in OZ that is different from SA? Please prepare me. How do they punish children in schools in OZ?

Punish? That's part of the problem and I'm sure Bob will elaborate if he reads this thread. They don't!

It's what they call "negotiated outcomes". No smacking, caning and even detention cannot happen without a heap of paperwork!

But please don't get me wrong...it's not like kids are running wild all over the place, it's just that we still have it relatively good with discipline in SA at the "good schools".

I would imagine each school has it's own proven discipline system in place according to State laws, and the process is followed once an incident occurs. It just...... takes......so....long.....! And when it comes to high school, in SA our kids work in grades 10, 11 and 12 for Matric following an integrated course for each subject. here, in yr 12, they can (obviously not a wise thing to do) choose all NEW subjects and only work for 1 year.

Parental influence is still very, very important and it's what makes the difference.

Lizette, it's just different. It's not bad per se, and like I said, the kids get to Uni and mostly achieve well.

On a positive note, all the boys with long hair and no razors (aaarrgghh) in year 12, suddenly underwent an amazing transformation once they left school! I actually walked past 3 in the shopping centre not recognising them! They do mature and wake up; only it's at the 11th hour!

If Dax is around, maybe he can back me up here or correct me if I'm giving you the wrong picture...

I didn't mean to scare you off!

Punish? That's part of the problem and I'm sure Bob will elaborate if he reads this thread. They don't!

It's what they call "negotiated outcomes". No smacking, caning and even detention cannot happen without a heap of paperwork!

But please don't get me wrong...it's not like kids are running wild all over the place, it's just that we still have it relatively good with discipline in SA at the "good schools".

I would imagine each school has it's own proven discipline system in place according to State laws, and the process is followed once an incident occurs. It just...... takes......so....long.....! And when it comes to high school, in SA our kids work in grades 10, 11 and 12 for Matric following an integrated course for each subject. here, in yr 12, they can (obviously not a wise thing to do) choose all NEW subjects and only work for 1 year.

Parental influence is still very, very important and it's what makes the difference.

Lizette, it's just different. It's not bad per se, and like I said, the kids get to Uni and mostly achieve well.

On a positive note, all the boys with long hair and no razors (aaarrgghh) in year 12, suddenly underwent an amazing transformation once they left school! I actually walked past 3 in the shopping centre not recognising them! They do mature and wake up; only it's at the 11th hour!

If Dax is around, maybe he can back me up here or correct me if I'm giving you the wrong picture...

I didn't mean to scare you off!

Tracy, I appreciate your honesty. I must say some schools in SA does have some kind of discipline. The fact that the girls hair must be tied and the boys are not allowed to wear long hair etc is something I like about some SA schools, espescially more Afrikaans schools.

Is sex between teenagers the norm or are there at least parents and schools who tell teenagers that is no appropriate for teenagers to have sex. Will this be more the case in Christian schools maybe? I do not want my girl to have sex because of peer pressure and because it is the norm. Can anyboydy comment on that?

Sex.

The age-old worry of parents - I should know; I have a teenager! :ilikeit:

Yes, through different subjects, with me it's the Health aspect of Physical Education, we teach as much as we can about the rights and wrongs, peer pressure, contraception, attitudes and values to this subject and heaps more. We also cover things like drugs and drinking and driving and the law in all aspects of these issues.

And to boys as well - believe me it can get pretty hectic! :ilikeit:

One positive thing I have found is that Aussies talk about these things far more openly than I experienced in SA.

I can't comment on whether this subject is dealt with any more/less effectively in state schools. I am in a Catholic school and we don't over-emphasise anything or elevate any issues more than others.

Just educating teens about making the right choices...

Tracy is spot-on. I can ad the following.

Australian curricula across the board rest on constructivist theory. In a nutshell this means that students should learn about all aspects of learning areas in a personal way through inquiry and research.

This does not mean that kids learn in a “natures waters over natures acres” manner. Most schools are very explicit and supportive of what and how students learn through constructivism. Basically, in a primary school, kids are being taught constructivist/independents skills with the eye on their later careers as learners.

Therefore, on primary levels one sees a strong emphasis on literacy, numeracy, simple research and reporting skills, Info Tech skills, communication etc.

There are concerns about values appreciation among some groups, therefore values education figures strongly in curricula, especially I South Australia. There is also a strong emphasis on some politically correct aspects such as tolerance, anti-racism, equal opportunity etc.

For a while there was a strong resistance against testing. While assessments still revolve around appraisal in respect of outcomes, some parts of assessments take place in the form of testing (quizzes class tests) as well. However, it is only in Year 12 that students are really formally tested through exams. The downsides of tests and exams are that it is a regurgitation of information while skills and knowledge are supposed to be better assessed though appraisal in respect of outcomes. (That’s the theory, though.)

Sex between teenagers…

This is a tough one. While sexual relations between teenagers are definitely not encouraged by schools, teachers etc., it is not condemned per se as well. Keep in mind that Australia is a liberal place and we still have baggage and fall-out that hankers back to the heady days of hippies, freedom and anything goes.

Many schools (and in this I mean state schools) are steadily becoming more conservative places.

Examples:

Last year one of the 12 year old girls in my class traipsed into my classroom with cut-away shorts that did not leave much to one’s imagination. I promptly sent her to the office with the request that she be changed into more appropriate clothes. The front-desk people got her to change into something more appropriate from the school’s emergency clothing. I had the system on my side as we have a strict dress code at our school and we enforce school uniform. You have some odd-ones-out, e.g. not wearing exactly the required clothes, but you find them everywhere.

A further example is the explicit sex education programme that was planned for South Australia that actually never came off the ground, due to resistance from teachers and parents alike.

Christian Schools in Oz would certainly take a strong stand against premarital sex, while I’m not too sure of other private schools.

Note of caution: be careful of some private schools in Oz, in a sense some of them are state school trash cans.

Hope this helps,

Dax

Tracy is spot-on. I can ad the following.

Australian curricula across the board rest on constructivist theory. In a nutshell this means that students should learn about all aspects of learning areas in a personal way through inquiry and research.

This does not mean that kids learn in a “natures waters over natures acres” manner. Most schools are very explicit and supportive of what and how students learn through constructivism. Basically, in a primary school, kids are being taught constructivist/independents skills with the eye on their later careers as learners.

Therefore, on primary levels one sees a strong emphasis on literacy, numeracy, simple research and reporting skills, Info Tech skills, communication etc.

There are concerns about values appreciation among some groups, therefore values education figures strongly in curricula, especially I South Australia. There is also a strong emphasis on some politically correct aspects such as tolerance, anti-racism, equal opportunity etc.

For a while there was a strong resistance against testing. While assessments still revolve around appraisal in respect of outcomes, some parts of assessments take place in the form of testing (quizzes class tests) as well. However, it is only in Year 12 that students are really formally tested through exams. The downsides of tests and exams are that it is a regurgitation of information while skills and knowledge are supposed to be better assessed though appraisal in respect of outcomes. (That’s the theory, though.)

Sex between teenagers…

This is a tough one. While sexual relations between teenagers are definitely not encouraged by schools, teachers etc., it is not condemned per se as well. Keep in mind that Australia is a liberal place and we still have baggage and fall-out that hankers back to the heady days of hippies, freedom and anything goes.

Many schools (and in this I mean state schools) are steadily becoming more conservative places.

Examples:

Last year one of the 12 year old girls in my class traipsed into my classroom with cut-away shorts that did not leave much to one’s imagination. I promptly sent her to the office with the request that she be changed into more appropriate clothes. The front-desk people got her to change into something more appropriate from the school’s emergency clothing. I had the system on my side as we have a strict dress code at our school and we enforce school uniform. You have some odd-ones-out, e.g. not wearing exactly the required clothes, but you find them everywhere.

A further example is the explicit sex education programme that was planned for South Australia that actually never came off the ground, due to resistance from teachers and parents alike.

Christian Schools in Oz would certainly take a strong stand against premarital sex, while I’m not too sure of other private schools.

Note of caution: be careful of some private schools in Oz, in a sense some of them are state school trash cans.

Hope this helps,

Dax

Dax, thanks for all the info, it make me feel better. As long as they do something about kids wearing skimpy clothes etc. I take it you are a teacher. Which subjects and at which school?

Glad I could help. :D

I'm in Primary Education, at a school in Seaford Rise in the south of Adelaide.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Thanks for chipping in Dax!

Hey Romar!

Thanks for that!

Hi all

I have a few more questions re the schools/curriculum.

First of all, what are the class sizes like in public schools? As you know in RSA we follow an outcomes-based curriculum of which one pillar is also constructivist theory as Dax indicated. Although we should make more use of formative assessment, it's just not doable because of the large class sizes. The continuous assessment, recording and reporting of 40+ learners in one class have become a nightmare to teachers! Do you experience the same challenges in Oz or do you have support systems in place?

Also, do kids have to write an entrance exam when they want to go to university or do they also gain sort of university exemption on the basis of their year 12 marks?

Thanks, it would be interesting to know! :)

Sonja

Hey Romar!

Thanks for that!

Thanks from me as well Romar!

Dax

Are you the same dax from homecomingrevolution?

No, someone must have stolen my nic :D

I'm Dax on rsa-uk.com as well

Dax

Hi all

I have a few more questions re the schools/curriculum.

First of all, what are the class sizes like in public schools? As you know in RSA we follow an outcomes-based curriculum of which one pillar is also constructivist theory as Dax indicated. Although we should make more use of formative assessment, it's just not doable because of the large class sizes. The continuous assessment, recording and reporting of 40+ learners in one class have become a nightmare to teachers! Do you experience the same challenges in Oz or do you have support systems in place?

Also, do kids have to write an entrance exam when they want to go to university or do they also gain sort of university exemption on the basis of their year 12 marks?

Thanks, it would be interesting to know! :)

Sonja

Class sizes a re compiled to a formula unique to each State/Territory

As a rule of thumb JP classes have about26 kids, middle primary/upper primary about 30 while High schools have formulas that address year levels and specific subjects in the senior levels.

We assess continiously especially i.r.o. numeracy and literacy. Groups of teachers also work close together to assess kids in each year level.

In South Oz we have the SACSA curriculum to which i will paste a link on this thread soon. When we assess kids in a specific area, e.g. English writing we do it in small batches, e.g. one day we will assess use of grammar and spelling, then it may be addressing an audience and staying on topic, then again one would want to look at sentence construction, e.g. two or more clauses, object/subject, nouns addressing verbs, etc. and it all progeresses upwards through the SACSA standards.

You have to assess continiously virtually on a daily basis (I've started already), you simply cannot leave something like aspects of writing or whole section of Number or Spatial Features in Maths for about 30 days before reports are due.

I assure you, both you and your kids would be nervous wrecks :)

You need time to do assessments thoroughly. If you're going to tell parents that their kid has problems stringing tqwo clauses together to make a passable sentence, you have to provide evidence for it, and it will also be a nice idea to show them what you are doing about it... :huh:

Each SACSA standard runs over 2- 3 years of a kid's schoolingm e.g. Standard 2 deals with learning in Years 3 & 4, while Standard 3 deals with years 5 & 6. Therefore we have about just enough time in one year to assess kids against a half to one third of the outcomes in each subject/learning area.

So, when South Australian State school teachers tell you that they work their B@%# off, believe them! B):D

Cheers,

Dax

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Gee, Dax, your assessment is very detailed and thorough then, which I agree is hard work. It seems to me it's more a notion of assessment for learning than assessment of learning, which is what learner-centred teaching and learning is all about.

I hope you are appreciated :cry:

Sonja

Sonja, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Had the privilege to spend a morning with the deputy head of a school in Deniliquin (NSW) on our visit there in 2006. Was amazed at the way the syllabus is handled and very impressed too. I just believe our kids will get excellent schooling in Aus.

Being a music teacher myself, ooooh hard work lying ahead in Aus then. Here I can do as I please, only the conscience keeping us going.

Looking forward to the link, Dax, and while I’m at it, thank you for your very informative posts. Would love to meet you once we're in Adelaide.

Edited by JWEL

Here's a link to the SACSA companion documents.

SACSA Companion Documents

We call it th ecompanion documents as it is a simplified version of the original SACSA documents.

It is quite a lot to wade through, so take your time and if you have any questions give me a HOY.

I just want to use this opportunity to repeat my offer to newcomers to the South Australian system of spending time in my classroom for experience and to get your heads around the South Oz system without too much hassles and responsibility at first. At first it is very important to obtain a basic view of:

* SACSA (the curriculum)

* Coming to grips with relationships with students, parents, etc. (Behaviour management)

* Undersdtanding a range of policies/systems that drive and underpin teaching in South Australia - Behaviour Management, Occupational Health & Safety (very NB this one!), Assessment requirements, Mandatory Notification and Child Protection Curriculum amongst others.

My school is in the south of Adelaide, so let me know if you are interested once you are registered with the TRB, as i will have to clear it with my line managers as well.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi Dax

Will Western Aus have a simular curriculum document?

Limpie

Edited by Limpie

Hi Dax

Will Western Aus have a simular curriculum document?

Limpie

Yep, they have their own curriculum system, commonly known as the First Steps methodology. It is also an outcomes -based system, and the particular joy of this system is the myriad of indicators that accompanies outcomes which makes goal setting and assessment quite easy in your teaching practice.

First Steps of course in not the WA system per se, it basically the delivery mechanism of curricullum, and it mainly addresses literacy and numeracy.

That's what i know in a nutshell about the WA system, and I must add that I stand to be corrected. Also, I really don't know much about WA curriculum i.r.o. others areas of learning like Arts, PE & Health, Technology etc.

Simply Google "First Steps" and you should find a lot of Info.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi Dax

Thanks for all the info and also your offer! This will be a huge help :magic:

Had the privilege to spend a morning with the deputy head of a school in Deniliquin (NSW) on our visit there in 2006. Was amazed at the way the syllabus is handled and very impressed too. I just believe our kids will get excellent schooling in Aus.

I agree, JWEL, it is reassuring to know that the school system works well in Aus. And it all starts with dedicated, competent teachers!

Take care!

Sonja

My pleasure! Ek help waar ek kan. :magic:

Dax