A direct comparison

Stepchook

I've just spent the best part of the morning reading through most of the posts regarding schools in Australia. There have been many comparisons made and I'm sure most of the comments are largely subjective.

My kids go to Cornwall Hill College (primary school), here in Irene (Gauteng) and absolutely love it. Perhaps equally importantly, we love it too. As far as we're concerned, it was one of the best decisions my wife and I have ever made; sending our girls there. The school has good Christian principles; it is a loving environment, where the kids often get hugs from the teachers and principal. The school strives to meet the needs of the children at an individual level and clearly the children can only blossom in such an environment.

Obviously, like every parent on this forum, we're concerned about getting the same or better level of education in the Australian school system. So, with that all said, I feel the need to pose the question - and perhaps this won't receive many responses: Are there any parents on this forum, now in Australia, who either had children in Cornwall Hill College, or who know the school well enough to be able to make some comparisons?

I added to your heading, thought you may get a bit more attention this way!

I've just spent the best part of the morning reading through most of the posts regarding schools in Australia. There have been many comparisons made and I'm sure most of the comments are largely subjective.

My kids go to Cornwall Hill College (primary school), here in Irene (Gauteng) and absolutely love it. Perhaps equally importantly, we love it too. As far as we're concerned, it was one of the best decisions my wife and I have ever made; sending our girls there. The school has good Christian principles; it is a loving environment, where the kids often get hugs from the teachers and principal. The school strives to meet the needs of the children at an individual level and clearly the children can only blossom in such an environment.

Obviously, like every parent on this forum, we're concerned about getting the same or better level of education in the Australian school system. So, with that all said, I feel the need to pose the question - and perhaps this won't receive many responses: Are there any parents on this forum, now in Australia, who either had children in Cornwall Hill College, or who know the school well enough to be able to make some comparisons?

Hi Pygmalion

My kids also went to Cornwall HC, and my daughter is now enrolled in a Grammar School (that is a private school) in Melbourne. She is extremely happy (took some 3 months to settle down) and has the same 'quality' (at the risk of sounding terribly snobbish) friends as CHC. The grammar schools are quite pricy but decided to buy the 'cheapest' house in the 'best' neighbourhood. From my experience (and that has only been 6 months) talking to the locals as well, it is not really what school they go to - more importantly, the friends. But hopefully our 'investment' will pay off - it is incredibly difficult to get into a good university course here - anything under 92% average for matric (the Aussie version) and medicine, law, etc. is out. but on the other hand it so much easier to get that type of result here than in South Africa. It is not really the standards that differ so much, more the grading or evaluation strategy that is followed.

Bear in mind that I base my response on 6 months exp. Hope it helped you somewhat.

PS Melbourne is absolutely wonderful, though - totally exceeded my expectations (small, cheap little house taken into consideration!)

Hi Sussie,

Thanks for your response. I've PMed you, so that we can take this offline.