Just saying "Hi !"

Flanker

Hi all,

This is our first time so please excuse our ignorance....

We've made the decision to leave SA for OZ. :rolleyes:

I'm 29 year old, self-employed wannabe ozzie currently living in Pta. Our family consists of my wife Vici, also 29, a graphic designer and our son Nathan, 17 months. The newest addition should arrive mid May. We'll add a pic asap.

Our process starts next week with NMS. Any references or feedback dealing with NMS? Any idea of initial costs?

It's only been a few days since registering and I'm already spending a lot of time, daily, gathering info.

Thanks for a great site !!! I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge shared between users. All our initial questions have already been answered.

We're extremely excited but in the same breath trying to stay open-minded about our decision.

Our journey begins shortly, we'll ask a lot of questions, share our experiences and tap into all the knowledge available.

Neville & Vici

Welcome to the forum, we were all at the same place you are right now, migrating is a process!! And what a proccess it is!!! Feel free to ask any question even it you think it silly we won't and others might have the same question, this is the way we can assist each other.

Please read the following on the forum!! Before committing to NMS!!

Look under Immigration - Application topic: Network Migration Services

Edited by Nilo

Welcome to the forum, we were all at the same place you are right now, migrating is a process!! And what a proccess it is!!! Feel free to ask any question even it you think it silly we won't and others might have the same question, this is the way we can assist each other.

Please read the following on the forum!! Before committing to NMS!!

Look under Immigration - Application topic: Network Migration Services

Hi,

Any other agencies apart from NMS ? We'd like to get this done 100% the first time.

Thanks !

Hi Neville!

Firstly, welcome to the Forum! I hope you have a wonderful time here. We're also at the initial stages of the migration process.

Secondly, have you thought of applying yourselves? It's not so bad, as you have to get all the documents and fill out the forms yourself in any case, even when you're using an agent. Lots of people on the forum are doing it themselves, including us. So if you ever get stuck or you're unsure, you can always ask someone. We decided the cost involved going through an agent wasn't worth it, especially since we have to do all the leg work. Our application is straight forward, so there shouldn't be any problems.

If you want to use an agent, you can do a search and check what other people have said about various agents. I know a few people haven't been happy with NMS. But you should fins some info on others you might consider going through.

Good luck with your journey!

Michele

Hi Neville and Vici

I think the whole question of signing a contract with an immigration consultant depends what you need from them. We went with Absolute Immigration in Australia as they had helped friends get in when the odds appeared against them and we are glad we did. There were a couple of moments where CPA in Australia looked like they would not approve my husband's assessment and that is where AI were invaluable as they spoke to CPA on our behalf and he received a positive assessment (even if it took 5 months rather than the 6 weeks we had been quoted). When it comes to the the actual application, I have no idea we are not there yet. This topic has been hotly debated in our home over the last year and the conclusion I have come to is that if you go with any company and your application sails through with no problems you are going to wonder if you needed to spend all that money. If you don't and there are problems you might wish you had paid over the money. It is like everything, hind sight is 20/20.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Amy

Guest mrs mupersan

Hiya Neville & Vici! Welcome to the forum.

What route are you going to go as far as visas are concerned? If you're going to go the business route (open your own business in Oz), then be aware that it is VERY expensive & by all accounts, the market is pretty tough to crack into.

If you're going to go the skills route - permanent residency (PR) visa. This will take between 18 and 24 months. If this route then would you be applying with Vici as the main applicant? My brother is a graphic designer - also about 9 or 10 years experience. He did his diploma at Cape Tech. He is a NZ citizen and has been living in Oz for 3 years. His PR for Oz was refused because they didn't acknowledge Cape Tech as a recognized study institution for Graphic Design. Go figure!!!

I've just realised that I must sound like a real voice of doom & gloom! I'm so sorry and this isn't my intention at all. So let's get onto the good stuff.....! :rolleyes:

The 457 (temporary long stay business visa) is the quickest way to get to Oz. How this works is that you look for work either by going onto SEEK or contacting companies direct and getting said company to sponsor your visa application. If you look below at my signature, you will see our time-line so far. We're expecting our visa to be granted within about 2 weeks now.

We haven't used an agent at all this time. About 3 years ago we went to 4Corners in CT. They told Scott that there was absolutely no hope in hell of us getting to Oz as neither of us has formal qualifications. We also own our own successful business. This agent did not mention the 457 option at all!! So this time we're doing it on our own and, thanks to this forum and all the help we've received, we haven't felt the need to consult one.

Good luck!!!! And ask LOADS of questions - there will always be someone who can help.

Thank you so much.

The only major worry is the skills assessment on my part.

I never really studied for a degree/diploma, running my own business though.

An agent might just point us in the right direction when it comes to applying for a specific visa........

Any comment?

What business are you in Neville?

Hi,

Print & design, we purchased a franchise similar to MinuteMan Press/Jetline Print.

We basically operate as a design-hub in the Pta Central area and then send all print-jobs to our HO in Jhb for production.

The Visa issue seems quite daunting.....I'll swim to Oz and do farm labor if I have to (ha ha).

No really, we have to leave SA, and soon. Just thought that a proper agent could assist in the whole process.

They know all the pitfalls, we'd like to get this done properly the first time.

Our scenarios are quite similar, don't we get some sort of rating being business owners ?

Neville

Hi guys

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision.

This is a good place to be when you have stacks of questions. As for the agent we are using an agent and she is wonderful. She is based in Centurion, Pretoria and her knowledge is awesome. I have referred ample people to her and all have landed up using her. If you are interested please yell and I will send you her details. I personally found great comfort in using her especially as my husband also has his own business and sometimes one can incorrectly choose your skill when applying for your PR.

This might sound a little drastic but had it not been for her I really don't think we would have come this far. We are applying for PR and our application went in early December.... so fingers crossed that all will go well and we will be assigned a CO (case officer) soon.

Let me know and once again welcome!!!

Cross Clan

Hi Neville,

Welcome to the Forum!

I heard from other members with their own businesses that the paperwork is a nightmare, for that reason alone I'd suggest an agent. Like you said, "to get it right the first time". We using Hitchcock and associates and have no complaints. Just check that whichever agent you use is MARA certified.

We having a get together on the 23rd Feb for all Pretoria members. It's a great opportunity to chat to like minded people and meet others that have gone through or are going through the same process. See the coffee club section of the forum for details.

Cheers, Bridge

Hi guys

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision.

This is a good place to be when you have stacks of questions. As for the agent we are using an agent and she is wonderful. She is based in Centurion, Pretoria and her knowledge is awesome. I have referred ample people to her and all have landed up using her. If you are interested please yell and I will send you her details. I personally found great comfort in using her especially as my husband also has his own business and sometimes one can incorrectly choose your skill when applying for your PR.

This might sound a little drastic but had it not been for her I really don't think we would have come this far. We are applying for PR and our application went in early December.... so fingers crossed that all will go well and we will be assigned a CO (case officer) soon.

Let me know and once again welcome!!!

Cross Clan

Hi Cross Clan,

I'm just amazed by the general attitude towards new members, I've started posting this morning and ..."Wow!!" what a great response, hopefully I'll also be in the position to assist someone in the near future.

I'll have to make us off your offer. We reside in Centurion and this would make our lives a lot easier, please send me the info as discussed. Good luck with your application, hope all goes according to plan.

Many thanks,

Neville

Thanks Bridge, will do......

Hi Neville and Family - Welcome!

Please. just don't use NMS.....

Do heaps of searching on the forum before you make a decision on them. And also look carefully at doing it yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide - there'll be loads of support from everyone here if you need it!

Tracy

Hello All

We are investigating "The Big Move" We live in Jhb, we have a 5 year old son and just don't see the same future for him as we had in SA. We have loads of questions and would love have feedback from other South Africans living in Oz. What was the adjustment like, is it as great as everybody says, what is life really like over there, what is the job market like, what are properties like, etc, our list is endless.

I would love to hear from you.

Thanks very much

Wendy Robertson

Hi Neville and Family - Welcome!

Please. just don't use NMS.....

Do heaps of searching on the forum before you make a decision on them. And also look carefully at doing it yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide - there'll be loads of support from everyone here if you need it!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy,

We appreciate all the feedback, NMS is definitely out of our planning.

Will try a local agent in Pta

Thanks again...

Hi Neville,

Welcome this this magnificent forum, here you will find peace of mind and rest asured good sound advice from many other members.

Pls do abstain from using NMS, we have had a very nasty experience with them due to lack of information at the time and also wanting to get out asap..

NMS are not registered agents with MARA.

We are trying once again to make the right move through a sound agent whom we found on this forum.

It's going to be tough but keep faith and all will fall into place.

God bless

The Rosebunch

Hi all,

This is our first time so please excuse our ignorance....

We've made the decision to leave SA for OZ. <_<

I'm 29 year old, self-employed wannabe ozzie currently living in Pta. Our family consists of my wife Vici, also 29, a graphic designer and our son Nathan, 17 months. The newest addition should arrive mid May. We'll add a pic asap.

Our process starts next week with NMS. Any references or feedback dealing with NMS? Any idea of initial costs?

It's only been a few days since registering and I'm already spending a lot of time, daily, gathering info.

Thanks for a great site !!! I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge shared between users. All our initial questions have already been answered.

We're extremely excited but in the same breath trying to stay open-minded about our decision.

Our journey begins shortly, we'll ask a lot of questions, share our experiences and tap into all the knowledge available.

Neville & Vici

Welcome, Neville! :blush:

We're new to the process too, having just got started two weeks ago. Nice to have someone to keep pace with. :thumbdown:

All the best with your new adventure! May the time pass quickly, and may you end up safe and happy on the other side.

Stay strong,

Mark