Another new guy (Tobold)

Tobold

Thanks for the info, Tobold. And the giving into panic thesedays I have to agree with you ... all of a sudden it is as if I realise how bad things really are here ... I think you get so use to all of it, that you stop thinking about it. And once you decide to leave, you look differently (maybe more realistic) to things. And I can not believe how bad things really are ...

Just one more question. The R18 000 - R19 000, does that include all costs? Like the Visa application, IELTS test?

So, what I actually wants to know, is what other costs will you have to pay yourself that's not included in your agent fee?

Oh, sorry Adele, that was only the agents fees. The total cost will be around R38, 000. With the Rand situation, it could well be a bit more than that by the time we're done.

I wouldn't like to pay this all at once, but absorbing it a bit at a time has been alright so far.

I have paid the following so far:

Initial agent fee: R5, 500

IELTS Test: R1, 670

Skills Assessment: R2, 400 (350$ AU)

Second agent fee: R9, 000

Home Affairs: R 200

This amounts to almost R19, 000. It's a lot to have paid in just over one month, but it's one thing I really don't mind spending money on. I have wasted a lot of money over the years. At least this is for a very good cause (for me anyway) - my son's future.

The good news is that we'll have those endless months (at least eight of them, I think) waiting after our visa application is submitted to save for the Look-See-Decide trip to Australia next year.

Sjoe, it's a lot of money but worth it!! Could have saved a lot of money if we decided two months ago to make the move ... we spend thousands of rand for security at our house ...

Thanks for the cost!

This is going to sound really silly, but what are "unabridged" documents? Why not call them "original"? In what way are they different to original documents, and do Home Affairs know what "unabridged" means, or do I use a different term when requesting documents from them? Sorry to throw a question like this out during all the nice welcome chit-chat, but I think (hope) it's a simple one. :rolleyes:

Hey there Tobold

Abridged certificates (Birth and Marriage) show only the name/s of the person concerned and confirm the birth / marriage.

Unabridged certificates show full details of the parents (including names and dates of birth) of the person/people concerned... so giving full details of the birth / marriage.... and, yes, the application form has a little check box indicating 'abridged' or 'unabridged'.

One has to wonder why:

1. This document has to be 'abridged' in the first place...

and

2. Why the one is available at the counter immediately and the other (bearing in mind we live in an age of computers and e-filing etc) has to take months?????

Just one more thing that confirms my decision to move on!!

ps... hope we are going to see you at the Pretoria Coffee Club next Saturday!

Edited by foncused

Batiss, I am very happy with my agent, and they really do keep me in the loop. I find they respond instantly (like within 10 minutes), and will even phone me in response to my emails, to be able to explain and discuss things. I have had no problems with delays. In fact, they shuffle me along! :rolleyes:

Thanks Tobold!

Reuven is our guy - not dealt with Ray yet and yes, they are great. Sticking with them.

Contract signing tomorrow.. bring it on! :ilikeit:

Initial agent fee: R5, 500

IELTS Test: R1, 670

Skills Assessment: R2, 400 (350$ AU)

Second agent fee: R9, 000

Home Affairs: R 200

Hi Tobold,

I was wondering.. are the above costs only applicable to YOU or does it include your wife and son?

Meaning.. do you pay double for you spouse etc? :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Using an agent in Aus and he has been great to. Replies to my emails within 24hours and always good advice. Costs will be similar to the total costs for Tobold - around R40k inclusive of all agent + other costs (but not tickets and shipping). Only one additional thing is he guarantees a money back transaction should I fail for any reason (other than police record or medical condition) and he is a registered agent with a registration number (makes me feel much better!!)

Hi Batiss,

That cost includes my wife and son, thankfully! :whome:

I must add that she does not have to take the IELTS test, nor does my son (he's only 8). Also, we are not doing a skills assessment for my wife. If you need any of these for your spouse, the cost will increase (but not the agent's fees).

Lion King, that sounds great! I'll be following your progress, given that we're going at a similar pace. :huh:

That cost includes my wife and son, thankfully! :)

Thanks guys!

Another thing that came to mind:

Your wife does not have to do the IELTS test - that's great and applies to me too then,

but is she going to be working in OZ? Does she not need it then?

Thanks - feel like the little sister tagging along, behind you and Lion King (see.. you are not last on the list - I AM!)

Ta & regards.

Edited by Battiss