Which area in Perth would anybody recommend

Natasja

Hi Everybody

Long time since I've been on the forum. My family and I have finally decided to take the step and just go. My husband went for his LSD trip and came back with mixed feelings, but I may be offered a job in Perth and we do not know where in Perth it would be best to settle down. Because my husband only went to Brisbane we do not have any idea of what Perth is like. We have only heard good things about Perth

We just want to know if ANYBODY can give us some direction as to which area in Perth would be best to live in. We have two small children ages 2 and 4 and would like to be in an area where there are good pre-schools and day care.

Does anybody know the area "Willetton" ?????? I've heard its very nice and relatively close to the city.

PLEASE if anybody can give some advice.

Kind Regards

Natasja

Well I've never been there myself but I recommend City of Joondalup, cause it has a golfcourse, lake side shopping, good schools and close to the ocian with alot of free holiday activities for teanagers.

Hi,

We'll be leaving soon and also have not been to Perth, but did a lot of research via friends and the forum. The mojority recommend north of the river. I'm very interested in Duncraig as you can get bigger (older though) houses and a lot Saffers there! Apparently Woodvale and Kingsley are just as good but slighty cheaper than Duncraig. I also used their crime stats with regards to buglaries and assualts to draw up a short list. But defininatley less trouble in the north.

May be someone already in Perth can share their first hand experience as I'm still researching.

" Perf", where is that , south of Smurfville...

Mandys brother lived in Perth for a while, with one child going to school.

He stayed in Swanebourne and then bought in Wembley downs..We saw pics of the house and area, and it looks very pleasant.. They were happy there.

Edited by Mupersan

Initially we rented in Belmont for 6 months, but moved to Joondalup 18 months ago. Duncraig and Woodvale are also very nice but more expensive. We are very happy living in Joondalup, but I'm sure there are also many nice areas South of the river.

In my opinion, the best area would be north between the Mitchell freeway and the sea. These area however are more expensive. It all depends on how long you are prepared to travel to work and how accessible you are to the freeway or public transport. Up north do have a very efficient public transport system and some of your best public schools namely Carine and Churchlands are in these areas. Areas such as Carine, Duncraig, Karrinup, Trigg, Sorrento, Hillary's and etc.

We originally rented in Innaloo and then after 1 year bought a property in Duncraig. Currently you can expect to pay between $350 - $500 rent a week for a 4 bedroom 2 bathrooms, pending where it is.

This is not to say anything is wrong with the south, it is just kind of silly to live south or north of the river and you working on the other side of it. It then become really time consuming commuting. The freeway can be bumper to bumper during peak hour, not as bad as the Ben Schoeman thought.

We are renting in Sorrento at the moment and are happy - 3 km to the beach, and we get the lovely cool sea breeze in the afternoon. My hubby works south of the river, in Ardross. He rides his bicycle from Sorrento to Greenwood Station, locks his bicycle up there and hops on the train to work. It takes him about 40 mins in total to get to work.

We will look at buying in Carine/Duncraig area in about a years time because it's more affordable (house prices in Sorrento are quite steep :) ) - I really liked what I saw of Carine Primary and High School. And Carine/Duncraig is also close enough to the beach.

Mary

The closer you are to the see, the more expensive it is.

We have just bought in Kingsley, but have been renting in Duncraig. Quite simply put, Duncraig is on average around $40000 more expensive than Kingsley and other places. Greenwood is also a great option, and people may not be aware that Greenwood highschool has an excellent LOTE (Language Other Than English) programme, which may be useful for those who are Afrikaans speaking.

You also get more "house" for your money in Kingsley and Greenwood than you would in Duncraig. There are some lovely schools in Kingsley - both primary and high school.

Hamersley and Warwick are also good suburbs. All the suburbs mentioned have excellent links to the public transport network.

Further North, in Ellenbrook and further up the coast to the newer areas (Somerly, Clarkson, Two Rocks, Yanchep) you can also get great houses, but the transport links are not as good.

The closer you are to the see, the more expensive it is.

We have just bought in Kingsley, but have been renting in Duncraig. Quite simply put, Duncraig is on average around $40000 more expensive than Kingsley and other places. Greenwood is also a great option, and people may not be aware that Greenwood highschool has an excellent LOTE (Language Other Than English) programme, which may be useful for those who are Afrikaans speaking.

You also get more "house" for your money in Kingsley and Greenwood than you would in Duncraig. There are some lovely schools in Kingsley - both primary and high school.

Hamersley and Warwick are also good suburbs. All the suburbs mentioned have excellent links to the public transport network.

Further North, in Ellenbrook and further up the coast to the newer areas (Somerly, Clarkson, Two Rocks, Yanchep) you can also get great houses, but the transport links are not as good.

Hi there

Just want to say a big thank you for all the information. Surely makes a difference when you hear where is good and where is not so good. I will keep you informed as to whats happening.

Have a fantastic day

Natasja

Hi Natasja

Me and wife was in Perth in 2005 and decided on Willetton. Flying out to Perth on 4 March 2008. Reason is closeness to Perth CBD and good schools, leafy suburb, good public transport - buss and train, good mall with great chinese take aways. House prices though very high - average 550 000A$ for 4 x 2.

We have 3 kids and need some space and the older houses in Willetton seems to offer it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 cents worth. We bought in Duncraig, a 3x2 for 580000. Sold it las year and moved 2 suburbs north to craigie where we got a 5x2 for 500000 and are only 2.3km from the beach. If yyouve got the money go for carine, but if your like us and want to not spend your life aying off a mortgage then craigie isn't a bad option, with crigie leisure centre, a massive gym and whitfords catholic primary. LOOk at the reiwa map to see localities and median house prices and its apparent that crigie is one of the few suburbs where there is still growth.

Cheers and goodluck

Hi Everybody

Long time since I've been on the forum. My family and I have finally decided to take the step and just go. My husband went for his LSD trip and came back with mixed feelings, but I may be offered a job in Perth and we do not know where in Perth it would be best to settle down. Because my husband only went to Brisbane we do not have any idea of what Perth is like. We have only heard good things about Perth

We just want to know if ANYBODY can give us some direction as to which area in Perth would be best to live in. We have two small children ages 2 and 4 and would like to be in an area where there are good pre-schools and day care.

Does anybody know the area "Willetton" ?????? I've heard its very nice and relatively close to the city.

Kind Regards

Natasja

• 1 month later...

There is a place called Applecross. In my opinion it is the most beautiful suburb with tree lined street and the Swan river flowing right next to it. Near shops and schools and near the city. Beautiful!!!!!! Have a look, please. :D

We're in the south - Rossmoyne - which is just off Leach highway and close to the water. All the benefits of Applecross without the hefty price tag! We're close enough to Freeo for the sea and when we go out to Rottnest but I also like living near the river - particularly if one's into skiing or canoeing. The high school is well thought of, and one of the only public schools to consistently rate in the top 5 every year. (You often see houses advertised as being in the RHS zone!) If you're determined to go private schooling then All Saints (Anglican) is also a top school.

Other suburbs to look out for SOR are Winthrop - also large houses and established gardens, Wilson - close to the Canning river, Mount Pleasant - also close to the river but rather more expensive, Booragoon, Bateman and Myaree.

It's a really tough decision, good luck.....

I'm temporarly up north in Duncraig/Carine and really can't speak on the south as I haven't yet investigated that area and only landed in March. But I always like stats and this might help you with your decision, especially financialy. These are the 12 month stats till Jul 2007.

Suburb Ave Price Size Assualt Burglaries

Applecross 1,300,000 5693 4 37

Bateman 515,000 3558 2 27

Booragoon 658,500 5324 8 13

Mount Pleasant 937,500 5754 5 27

Myaree 585,000 1647 16 20

Rossmoyne 900,000 2961 2 26

Wilson 441,000 4904 12 48

Winthrop 696,000 6663 0.5 28

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Everyone is giving you advice where to stay, just want to give a tip where NOT to stay, as we almost rented there,

North of the river is really nice, the closer to the city, and ocean the more expensive.

However, Mirrabrooka, Balga, and Malaga around that area, are not of top choices to stay.

A lot of crime there, and you will find a lot of different cultures living in that area.

Renting houses have become more expensive, and if you rent in a very "low" bracket, you might find that the area is not of a better standard.

Not to sound like a snob or anything, but be careful where you choose.

However you do find your gems out there.

but everyone that has suggested the areas mentioned, are very nice areas.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everybody

Kind Regards

Natasja

I can only speak for myself as my circumstances I`m sure will differ from yours. I live south of the river in a suburb called High Wycombe it`s at the bottom of the Perth Hills (Kalamunda) there are good private, christian as well as goverment schools, High Wycombe is about 15 minutes drive to the Perth Cbd. My monthly rental is 1400-00 which is for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a good sized garden, the area is quiet and safe. South of the Swan river is great as all the shopping centres are nearby and you have the Swan Valley to tour through. The beach is about a 25 minute drive but that`s to Cottesloe (very nice)

Hi there.

Will send yeh a pm.

Cheers

Urs

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Everybody

Kind Regards

Natasja

Willetton is not bad, but I think it is overrated. Rent and house priced are high compared to similar areas. I now live in Midland, which have a bad reputation but I can’t complain at all. I would prefer to live in other areas that I have seen tho like: Mandurah, Ellenbrook, Rockingham or Joondalup but it’s not practical for me to live in any of them.

• 1 month later...
I can only speak for myself as my circumstances I`m sure will differ from yours. I live south of the river in a suburb called High Wycombe it`s at the bottom of the Perth Hills (Kalamunda) there are good private, christian as well as goverment schools, High Wycombe is about 15 minutes drive to the Perth Cbd. My monthly rental is 1400-00 which is for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a good sized garden, the area is quiet and safe. South of the Swan river is great as all the shopping centres are nearby and you have the Swan Valley to tour through. The beach is about a 25 minute drive but that`s to Cottesloe (very nice)

sjoe, dit klink fantasties. Het julle julle eie meubels of is dit 'n furnised plekkie?

Ek wil ook so ietsie he vir ons (ek en my man en 2 dogtertjies 0 4 en 6...) Hoe het julle die plek gekry?

Liezl