kiddies

Hi everybody

I am a new member. My husband and I are seriously thinking about leaving SA. We have decided to apply for PR visas although we have never set foot on Australia. We will probably go for a holiday as our first entry and then decide which city/town appeals to us and whether we can see ourselves there.

As most of you would know, these type of decisions are HUGE and daunting. I am so glad to have come across this website as most of the questions we ask everyday are discussed here.

We have never directly been affected by crime, but it is definitely the reason why we are thinking of leaving SA. I don't want to wait for something to happen before we go! We have two children (aged 4 and 1) and we have to think of their future. I guess (don't know) that it is even more difficult to make the decision when you have not experienced crime first hand as we are actually still living a very comfortable life, but we are certainly aware of crime and shocked at what is happening. Who knows what the future for SA holds.

I would love to hear whether those of you that have made the move are happy or whether you have any regrets about leaving SA. Family and friends are probably the most difficult part to leave behind - did you easily make friends again? What are the schools like?

Our children are predominantly English. I speak English to them and my husband Afrikaans. Because English is my 4 yr old's mothertongue (1 year old doesn't really speak yet) he prefers to speak English, so that won't be a problem. My husband and I speak Afrikaans to one another, so the little one understands every word of Afrikaans and sometimes attempts to speak it resulting in a very humorous Eng-Afr language!

Would love to hear from you.

Regards

Joan

Hi Joan

Welcome - this site is very informative, and even though i dont write much, i love reading all the advice, comments and information provided.

My husband and i decided last year September to apply for our Permanent Residence without ever going to Australia. it takes a step of faith. We dont have Children and decided it would be a much easier transition if we did the move before they arrive.

We have also decided to forfit the LSD trip and jump in the deep end. All our documents have been submitted including medicals and we just waiting now - bags packed!

We are not running away from South Africa, we both love this country and what it offers. Both our families live here and neither us or our families have been affected by crime - touch wood! BUT we are very apprehensive to have children here without seeing what other countries have to offer.

As one man who immigrated to New Zealand said to us: he didn't run away from Africa, but he also has a right to experience what the world has to offer and right now New Zealand, for him, offers more.

Wishing you all the best as you make your minds up. There is so much out there and life is short we might as well enjoy and experience it.

Claire.

Claire

Thank you so much for the reply. It is so good to know there are other people in the same situation as us and that there is support out there. Will definitely keep in touch!

Good luck with your applications and everything that goes with it.

Joan

My story is slightly different. I heard about a job vacancy in Australia, so applied for the job and got it. I'm now going over on a 457 visa, and will apply for PR as soon as I'm there. We have also never been to Australia before, although we have some good friends and former work colleagues already in Adelaide.

:ilikeit: Joan, Claire,

You are not running away, because actually you are voting with your feet, skills and common sense. :blink:

Many people come over on a PR visa without the LSD. In actual fact, you’ll save a lot of money by omitting the LSD trip. That was what we chose to do 12 years ago and in the end, the money that we saved on a LSD trip paid for other essentials, e.g. a car, a deposit on a house etc.

Migration is tough, but if you are determined you will make it in the end. If you kids are young get them here as young as possible, and they will slot into society without them even realizing they are also starting afresh.

If you don’t have kids, no worries! With healthcare over here you would not want to start with a family in any other place.

Cheers,

Dax

Howzat Joan and welcome to the forum. Congrats you made the first step in the process. :thumbdown:

Hi Joan,

Welcome to the forum! Moving to Oz while you still can is probably one of the smartest things you could be doing right now, rest assured, it's the right decision! :rolleyes:

wislon

Hi Joan

Welcome. I don't write often on this forum, mainly because there is such a lot of information here already, it's not necessary to ask. We're in the same boat as you and will see Aus the day we go to activate our PR.

Where do you currently live in SA?

See you

Welcome Joan, as you have seen and will learn more, there is a lovely group of people on this forum. They have a wealth of knowlegde.

I was fortunate to be approached by a company and m waiting for my visa.

2 suggestions: if you really want to go, get cracking, it takes a while, and keep a timeline.

Good luck and happy reading and chatting.

Scott

As one man who immigrated to New Zealand said to us: he didn't run away from Africa, but he also has a right to experience what the world has to offer and right now New Zealand, for him, offers more

Claire I couldnt have put a better perspective on it . I have on this same forum site been accused of deserting my family and SA, well what you do and how you do it is really no ones business that is unless you want them to know..

I have a perspective all of my own which is

1. If SA was like Australia eg, economic, politics, culture etc, etc, would I have left SA ANYWAY to experience the world (just as we as new aussies are currently doing now)

2. If I was born in Australia I would have left Australia to experience the world .. the only difference is that I WOULD RETURN HOME to Australia .. unlike SA. as I have said this many many times SA defines my past (read heritage) but Australia defines my PRESENT AND FUTURE and that is regardless of the fact that I am not in Australia currently

Edited by NorCalAussie

Welcome Joan,

In a nutshell?

No ways will I go back to Africa.

Good luck with all your searching and decisions; you will make the right choice soon enough.

Hi Joan and Welcome.

We are in the same boat as you. We have made the decision without ever having set foot in Australia, We are taking a huge leap of faith based on what friends have told us and a vast amount of internet searching.

We have made the decision to leave, as we also have a young child (2 and a half) and feel it is better to move him while he is still young enough to adapt easily. We have decided on Perth as we have friends there and hence we will not be completely alone when we land on foreign ground. If at a later stage we decide to move elsewhere, well we'll deal with it then. But for now we have decided to forfeit the LSD trip as we are unlikely to change our minds and we feel the money will be better utilized when we actually arrive as we will need every penny once we've divided everything by 6.

It's a long road to get that PR visa, but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end, and there are loads of amazing people on the forum to help you get there.

Good Luck

Rose

Hi Joan

Welcome. I would like to comment on your crime statement.

I have been a victim of crime. I work for a large retail organisation as manager and in 2004 - 4 affirmative action South Africans entered my office and held a gun to my head. I won't go into the details of what happened after that but would like to tell you what my life has been like since. It is almost 4 years after that and I live in fear. I get a panic attack if an affirmative SA person comes my way. I sleep with my bedroom door locked with my child and husband in the room and alarm activated. etc, etc, Don't wait for this to be you. Once crime has hit you, it changes you as a person. Get out now. Start the process as soon as you can, it is long but time goes quickly. Do it for your children's sake.

Good luck and shout when you need help!