Hallo from Adelaide

Cornell

Hi all,

Discovered the site yesterday, it was quite interesting to hear about the different experiences you've all had on the way and in Aus. I am 25 years old and have been in Adelaide for a year now. Me and my partner are both vets and decided that we would like to get some travelling done. We got a job offer while still studying, graduated on the 24th of November 2006, applied for our visas (RSMS) on the 1st of December and got them on the 21st of December! I guess we were quite lucky that everything went so smoothly, our vet degree is recognised by the Australian Vet Boards so we didn't need to go through the process of skills assessment, English tests etc.

We arrived in Adelaide on the 11th of January 2007 - what a shock when we arrived! I didn't expect the 'Americanised' way of doing things and I remember telling my girlfriend 'What have we done?". I suppose this is something all migrants will go through - nothing can prepare you for the full impact when you arrive. We live in a house provided by the boss so that has been a lot of stress off, but 6 months into our stay we got robbed! They broke into our house, stealing my partners handbag and my watch. Go figure, never been a victim of crime in South Africa and it just took 6 months to get robbed here! And one of our vet clinics has been broken into 3 times since we arrived. But even so I have to say that it is not the type of crime where you fear for your life.

Overall the experience has been a good one. Some things still get to me - grafitti, unambitious youths, the isolation of world affairs, the LOUD ads on TV and the anti-progress attitude here in Adelaide. But heck if you consider good public services, a safe environment, friendly people with a sense of community etc I think we have been pretty lucky here.

Hey Cornell

Well, welcome to the forum and yes you have been lucky!!

Any change is a shock to the system and nothing is milk and honey but still a lot better indeed...

My hubby and I are apply for sponsorship from South Australia and hoping to settle in Adelaide, although we've only been to Brisbane, Perth and Gold Coast...

Hope you have a fab yera ahead!

Well, I'd much rather have the "americanised" way of doing things versus the african way of doing things! :ilikeit:

Guest Bronwyn

Welcome Cornell!

We have been in Adelaide since 9 Dec 2006, so we have a few weeks on you, haha! Well done for moving here without the help of the Forum, I didn't think it was possible. :ilikeit:

Regards, Bronwyn

I think our saving grace was that our boss had brought people over previously on the RSMS, looking back I still can't believe how easy the whole visa process went for us! How has your Adelaide experience been Bronwyn?

Edited by Cornell

Cornell,

Welcome to Adelaide. I have been here since October 2005 and am now a hardened Adelaidian :ph34r: I travel to other cities for work often, must say I prefer Adelaide's "large town"feel to the city pace in other cities such as Sydney and Melbourne, but I guess personal preference.Those issues you mention stack up pretty light against the huge benifits and gain in quality of life, as you say.

Americanised, maybe, maybe just a dose of first world and yes, oh yes,not Africanised.....

Best of luck here in Adelaide

I guess that's the thing - you arrive here expecting something and it turns out to be something completely different and all you want to do is go home. But then with time as you get to know the place and it's people you start to adapt and appreciate Aus for all that it is. And yes no doubt I would much rather live with loud and bright ads on TV than with having to look over my shoulder when I stop at a robot (or rather traffic light). And what a pleasure going to renew your drivers here etc compared to the license centres in SA!

Edited by Cornell