Flies in Australia

Ziggy

Hi there again. Just a question out of the “area”. When we visited Perth, Nov 05, there were a lot of flies. Is that always the case? (Het genoeg gehad van lui vlieë in Angola vir ‘n leeftyd…) We rent a home in Joondalup. An old school acquaintance left for Perth recently. Skillie Bester. Perhaps somebody knows of him and we can get in touch with him to have a little chat. I also want to use this opportunity to thank one and all replying on my posts and giving valuable advice. I appreciate it.

Hi Tukino

I think in Australia, you just have to accept that flies are the "3rd force", when it is summer, the are out to have a "jol"

That is why virtually all homes in Australia have fly screens on their windows and doors.

This does impede on outside entertainment and living, but we tough it out. I would rather put up with the unwelcome flies than be back living in SA!

Hi,

Interesting... I've heard about the "fly population" in Australia (specifically in Perth). Is it really that bad? Mara, I would have thought that there are fewer flies in Melbourne because of the cooler weather...

Would you say that there are fewer flies in some areas?

Thanks to Tukino that brought up this topic.

Have a great weekend!

Pippa

Guest Larry

"I knew lady who swallowed a fly......."

Melbourne may well be cooler than some places an Australia, but the flies are still a problem. I have only ever swallowed a fly in Melbourne..... while walking the dog!!! (PS I am an old man, not a young lady) :ilikeit:

I have never stayed in Perth, so I have no idea how bad the flies are there, I have not found them that bad in Melbourne, as you say, it is cooler. I have found them to be a problem though, in Queensland, but perhaps it was just the area we lived in, fortunately we were only there for six months.

We stopped off in Norseman, on our way to Esperance, and the flies there just pack on your back <_< . They are very lazy, and you can easily just grab them out of the air if you wanted. Didn't see many flies in Perth when we went there, but it was a short visit.

The flies don't bother me much, I just keep my screens closed during summer, and you get these nice nets that you throw over your gazebo. We also have a tin of flyspary in each room. It's much easier to get rid of a fly than a mozzie! We used to live in malaria country, and had a constant war against the mozzies, so the flies are not so bad.

I consoled myself by saying that there is not much filth for them to sit on, so they should be much "cleaner" than SA flies. :ilikeit: It's a mind over matter thing. If you allow them to bug you, they will.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Yup, the Aussie salute to waive a fly away is a side effect of moving to this otherwise mostly wonderfull country :ilikeit: . I believe the flies are more previlant in some areas, here in Adelaide they are not to bad, but still out in summer. I have been to Melbourne and Sydney in summer, the amount of flies are more or less the same there as here in my experience. Houses are generally well protected by screendoors and in front of windows, so the flies really only bother a bit outside.

Tukino - they are NOT as bad as the flies in Angola, I think nowhere on earth comes close to the swarms in Angola, sitting on your back like a grandma's "charlie". <_<

Hi, Marius

Thanks for the reply. Seems we had the same experience with the flies...I think if someone can invent a fly-trap, that works on the mossie system, light and shock, one can make heaps of money.

Hi All,

During our first visit to Australia, on our LSD in late Nov 2001, upon arriving in Perth we experienced many of these little BUGgers. I still watch video's of our visit and we all look a bit dilly trying to wave away the swarms. We were not impressed, but liked Perth very much otherwise. Nowhere else on our visit which included Melbourne, Brisbane (+ almost all of coastal Queensland), Sydney did we experience the same.

We live in South East Queensland (Brisbane) and I must say in my experience it is no different from say JHB/PTA or CT. We have travelled extensively in the Queensland and Northern NSW coastal strip and in the 2,5 years here not experienced anything like that one time in Perth. Some of my friends in Perth however reckon that it is not that bad all the time!

Mara I'd love to know where in Qld did you guys experience all the flies? I must say a fly is one of the most irritating bugs around ( with a mozzie a close second.....mmm by the way I hate moths and miggies too (what's a miggie in English?? ..anyone??) and I can go into fits of irrational anger and over the top persecution frenzies when discovering a fly in the house, especially when I'm trying to have a snooze. Bring on the crawling types like arachnida, anytime! I think it's in my genes, my grandmother had the same affliction - she used to sommer throw away a cup if a she caught a fly sitting on one! hehe!

Anti-Airbourne BUG!

Edited by chatterbug

( with a mozzie a close second.....mmm by the way I hate moths and miggies too (what's a miggie in English?? ..anyone??)

Anti-Airbourne BUG!

muggie = gnat

I hate mozzies the MOST! <_<:ilikeit:

Greetings

Dreamy :whome:

Hey dreamy are you sure about that, aren't those the lice /larvae/ yucky bug thingies that infest childrens hair?? And it's pronounced with a silent g??

G BUG (not a silent g)

Ha ha! :) You're talking about nits man. (horrible things - lets not go there <_< ) My mom told me muggies are gnats, and she knew everything :blink: . (Pity I only realised that now that I have teenagers of my own :ilikeit: )

I got this on www.bugspray.com: "Gnats are really flies but because of their small size and other behaviors, people don't generally think of them as such." Even more reason for you to dislike them!

Dictionary says: Any of various small, biting, two-winged flies, such as a biting midge or black fly.

You might recognise the word "midge" as well? As in Mazda Midge? And then they brought out the Mazda Sting... Wonder why they named cars after nasty BUGS? There I go again....

Let me go before I mess up this whole topic :whome: it's way past my bedtime.

Greetings,

Dreamy

PS - You are right about the silenty g

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Thanks Dreamster you BUGgat thing you!

You are a real hive of information!

Now I know why I hated those Mazda's...its been BUGging me for years now!

Crawling BUG

Hi Chatterbug

We lived in Albany, in the North West outskirts of Brisbane. The problem was the horse paddocks which were next door to us!