Assessments & applications

DesertDaisy

We have found a way (thanks to Dreamy) to make an attempt to apply for a visa, even though our points are iffy. We plan on going for one of the Regional sponsored migration ones. We've spent most of the day reading all the relevant websites etc and our heads are spinning. We cannot afford (though would dearly love to) a migration agent, so its going to be a DIY job. Can I just check with those who have already been through this stuff, whether we are doing things in the right order?

1. VETASSESS

and then

2. VISA APPLICATION

We are also a bit worried about the VETASSESS as my dh's certificate for his qualification is all we have. He was never issued with a transcript or "report card" showing his subjects and his passmarks. In his environment, you either pass or fail everything and if you pass (the passmark was something like 70%) you get your certificate. Thats it. We have e-mailed them and asked for clarification. We have offered to supply more info, including his HPCSA registration, the HPSCA protocols (what he is allowed to do) and the detailed course curriculum.

Also, it appears that some potential employers want us to submit his qualifications for assessment by a local university as well. Is this normal? Or is just for the medical people? If so, its going to cost us a fortune in assessment fees if he has to do this for every job application.....

Dear DesertDaisy,

We are also thinking of going the SIR route…

According to my knowledge, every regional region’s criteria are different. We are planning to apply for SIR through South Australia and you have to get your skills assessed as well as passing the IELTS test.

You can visit South Australia's website for more information as to what is required for a SIR application.

My skills assessment application is currently with VETASSESS and I will be writing IELTS on 22 July 2006.

Good luck with your application.

Pippa

We'll be doing ours through Western Australia (or so it looks at this stage). And so far, it doesn't appear to ask for IELTS, but I will check. I hadn't thought to do so! Thanks for prompting me.

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi DD,

I have found the following :

If you are planning to migrate to Western Australia under either the Skilled Independent Regional (SIR) Visa or the State/Territory Nominated Independent (STNI) Visa schemes, there are three steps that all applicants must take.

What are the steps in applying?

STEP 1 APPLY FOR A PROFESSIONAL OR TRADE

QUALIFICATIONS SKILLS ASSESSMENT

To process your application, the Skills Migration Unit (SMU) and the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) need verification that your qualifications and skills meet Australian standards.

This means that you must have your qualifications and skills assessed before you lodge an application. To assist you in this process, DIMA has commissioned assessment authorities for each occupation. A fee is usually payable which will vary between assessing authorities.

The assessment process usually takes into account the following factors:

• formal training and experience

• on-the-job experience

• skills, knowledge and experience equivalent to an Australian trained tradesperson

The assessment authority will ask you to provide them with supporting documentation as evidence of your skills and practical experience.

This documentation must be submitted to the assessment authority along with the assessment application form, evidence of completed tertiary studies, trade or other vocational courses and statements from employers.

The assessing authority will then send you a written statement indicating that your skills have been accepted for migration purposes.

A copy of this letter will need to be included with your application for State sponsorship and also with your visa application to DIMA.

Cost: Determined by each assessing authority.

STEP 2 APPLY FOR STATE SPONSORSHIP

The Western Australian Government, through SMU, decides which skilled migrants are eligible for sponsorship under the SIR and STNI visa schemes. The Western Australian Government sponsors skilled migrants on the basis that you have a skill identified as one in demand.

Applications can be lodged online. Please note that your skills assessment advice must accompany your application.

The SMU will generally notify you within 10 working days if you have been sponsored under the appropriate visa scheme.

You will then be sent formal advice that will explain the outcome of your sponsorship application.

Please note that a successful sponsorship does not guarantee a visa as DIMA is the body that ultimately approves all visas. You must meet both the sponsorship and visa eligibility criteria to migrate to Western Australia.

Cost: No fees applicable

STEP 3 OBTAINING A VISA

Once you have been sponsored by the Western Australian Government under either the SIR or STNI visa schemes, you will need to apply to DIMA for a visa. Details of all skilled migration visas and application forms can be found in "Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration" which can be accessed via DIMA’s website. All forms can be downloaded free from this website.

Forms associated with a General Skilled Migration application include:

Information forms

Form 990i Charges

Form 1121i Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

Form 1220i International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Form 1071i Health requirement for permanent entry to Australia

Form 47P Character requirement: penal clearance certificates

Application forms

Form 47 SK Application for general skilled migration to Australia

Form 47A Details of child or other family member aged 18 years or over

Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia

Form 26 A Medical examination for an Australian visa (for use in Australia only)

Form 160A Radiological report on chest x-ray of an applicant for an Australian visa (for use in Australia only)

Form 80 Personal particulars for character assessment

Form 1101 Police records check – consent to obtain information

Please ensure that you include the sponsorship letter from the Western Australian Government with your visa application as DIMA gives priority to processing State-sponsored visa applications.

DIMA may take 3-6 months to process your visa application.

For cost structures click here

Information above found on Government of Western Australia Website.

Hope this helps a little.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Edited by Seoul Sister