Citizenship for baby

LeonF

Ok I have a question.

We arrived in Australia on a 457 visa and our second son was born. At the time he was not elligible for citizenship and also received a 457 visa, we had to arrange a passport for him which was a bit of a drama.

About 6 month ago we got PR.

My question is, is the baby now eligible for citizenship or does he only become a citizen when we do.

Any thoughts or experiences will be much appreciated.

Leon

Guest Larry

The last time I looked at the rules, there was something about "A child born in Australia is only an Australian citizen by birth if at least one of their parents was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth."

Here is the form:-

Form 975i

If that is still the case, then your child will only be eligible for citizenship after two years residence (as a permanent resident) in Australia. ie when you are.

Was your second child included in your permanent residence application? If not, then there is loads of s..t in the offing.

This now brings me to a question to which I am trying to find an answer....

If two New Zealand citizens move to Australia and have a child there, what is the child's status? Neither of the parents is a permanent resident of Australia, so is the child stateless? Will the New Zealanders grant it citizenship? Or is there a special dispensation for New Zealanders who are not permanent residents?

OK, I have answered it for myself. Take a look at Australian Citizenship by birth

It looks as if the Australian-born child of New Zealand parents may be an Australian citizen by birth. :oops:

Edited by Larry

Larry, you're 100% - the baby will have the same status as the parents. In LeonF's case: 457.