Malicious spyware from saaustralia site

werns75

Question

don't want to cause a massive internet scare for users on this forum, but be aware of malicious resources attempting to download to your computer from this forum.

I run spybot and spydoctor in the background since i have had several bad experiences before with malware causing me to format my pc. spybot detected http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/adi/n4947.RTA when opening some of the forum posts. Double click is considered by the internet community as a malicious resource.

If you don't protect against this sort of thing, beware that this site may be allowing doubleclick access to who knows what on your computer. It might only be responsible for the adds you see on saaustralia in the top banner, but these days you cannot be to sure - especially with key logging software and nasty critters out there set on capturing your personal details.

get protected or face the consquences !

6 answers to this question

Kan jy dalk vir my die spesifieke plasings gee waar dié ding gebeur Werner?

ek track die post...as dit weer gebeur sal ek die details aanstuur....

double-click.net is an advertising placement company, they're the b@stards that help to load up web pages with adverts. I think that given their size, it's probably unlikely that they're downloading spyware and stuff to your PC (I use firefox and an ad-blocker and I see precious few adverts, it's wonderful).

They would get into so much trouble if they intentionally infected people with actual spyware (which monitors your keyboard and looks for passwords) that they'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

What may be happening is that they're placing "cookies" on your PC, or trying to get your browser to run a small program on their web page/advert which would let them track where you're going. A cookie is small data file that your browser will automatically submit to double-click.net every time it loads one of their adverts. They can use this to "track" your browsing habits, because each "cookie" is given a unique ID. After a while they can see trends in your browsing, and can start placing more targeted adverts in front of you.

Not something to really sweat about. Block cookies from anything looking like double-click.net (Internet explorer has a little thing in the bottom status bar that will let you do this) and you should be pretty much OK.

Or use Firefox, and the 'Adblock' extension. I wasn't even aware that this forum displayed adverts until it was mentioned in the post above.

Hope this helps someone :)

You can also download Spyware Terminator which is genuine freeware. I use it and it is vey effective.

Sometimes some Tracking Cookies/3rd Party Cookies may "slip through", but if you set Spyware Terminator to scan once a day you pick it up, or you can set it to "block & rip" intrusions on detection.

I don't opt for the latter method as I have in the past found that I sometimes terminated "innocent bystanders".

Here's the link:

Spyware Terminator

Another way in which you can prevent 3rd party cookies is to follow the following steps:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options. On the Privacy tab, click Advanced. Click to select the Override automatic cookie handling check box, and then click Block under the Third-party Cookies heading.

In Firefox 1.0, click Tools, Options. Click the Privacy icon in the sidebar and then click the plus sign to the left of the Cookies heading to expand your list of options. Click to select both options: Allow sites to set cookies and for the originating web site only.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

And just to make 100% sure, load Linux with Firefox.... :D:blink::P:(:P

ps. sorry couldn't resist. Using Linux must be like living in Oz..... no worries mate :blink: