Gyeongbokgung Royal Palace

Guest Seoul Sister

Guest Larry

Thanks for sharing. - That is great!

Although I am a civil engineer, I still feel that their architecture in some way "defines" a people.

FYI Architects and civil / structural engineers are renowned for taking friendly "digs" at each other.

Guest Jules

Hi SS :whome:

Thanks so much for sharing, the palace is beautiful! :ilikeit: Do you know when the palace was built? It's always interesting to me comparing the Western style of architecture with the Asian. Larry, you are right, it's amazing that the architecture seems to define a people. There are practically no Western influences and I love the intricacies and attention to detail.

Love

Julie :whome:

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey there,

The Gyeongbokgung palace was originally built for the Joseon Dynasty in 1394. Some of it was destroyed during the Japanese invasion in 1592, and rebuilt in the 1800s, only to be devastated again, again by the Japanese during their occupation from 1910 - 1945. During our visit to the palace we were shown where the Korean Queen was killed in her palace by the Japanese. No love lost between the Koreans and the Japanese and when you learn about the Korean history, you can see why. :lol: The palace was completely renovated and restored in 1996.

The most beautiful thing of Korean Traditional Architecture, is the way they paint the wooden structures. It's all very colourful, in contrast to Japan, where everything is very formal and plain. Very interesting as the contrast is exactly the same between the two nations ! The Japanese are like the British, very formal, controlled, emotionless and rigid, while the Koreans are the "Italians of Asia" colourful, loud, vibrant and full of passion and emotion. :oops:

Love

SS

;)

Edited by Seoul Sister

colourful, loud, vibrant and full of passion and emotion. :oops:

Sounds a bit like I picture you ;) no wonder you like it there! Thanks for all the info and pics, I love it. Opens my eyes to a country that I have never even thought of.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Guest Jules

Thanks again SS, it's great to have a bit of insight into your life there :oops: . Like dreamcatcher I have to admit I had never really given much thought to Korea, or most of Asia for that matter.

Sheesh, I bet there's never a dull moment there amongst the "Italians of Asia". Being married to one of the Italians of Italy I can relate to that :lol:;)

Julie :lol:

Guest Seoul Sister

Hey there,

;) Thanks Dreamy. You know, I've never thought about it that way, but I think you are right. I am probably a lot like them and that is why I like them so much. Good point !! Hehehehehe, Jules, you are right, never a dull moment. Might be a lot of other things sometimes, but it's certainly never dull !! :ilikeit:

I am glad if I have introduced a country to you ! When we first heard our next contract was Korea, I had to go and find it on a map ! :whome: I thought it was next to Thailand... Man, I have come a looooong way in 2 years.

Love from here

SS

:ilikeit:

SS,

Thanks for your wonderfull information and pictures, you have certainly educated me in some eastern culture and issues I was not fully aware of or thought I was aware off and clearly misunderstood in some cases. Your info has been passed around our office as we will over the next monthts to a year have people often travelling to Korea and China mainly in Asia. I would like to take it all in myself soon <_<