I guess it's time to say hallo...

maraai

Hallo to all of you!

Feels like I already know so many of you, have been reading and reading and reading.....

My sister and her family moved to Brisbane in November 2005, I was soon to follow but it took some time to work through all the emotions of leaving the country in which you were born! So in November 2006 I started the long journey of collecting all the documents I would need in order to gain a Skilled visa.

By March 07 I had everything ready to apply for accreditation and did just that. Was not ready for the reply (June 07) though, the CPA said I need 4 instead of 3 subjects and I am so not in the mood to study right now! A little crushed, :( I began to read up about all the other options available, Regional Skilled, Employer sponsored, etc, etc. I got to know the immi website very well! I eventually came to the conclusion that Permanent Residency is the best option for me (as my sister and I wish to be able to sponsor my parents as soon as possible) So, I sent my docs to the ICAA and hoped and prayed for the best.

My parents went to visit my sister for 6 weeks in July 07 and were really impressed with Australia, “Everything works!” my father said on their return (amongst a lot of other things, off course! :D )

So in September I was surfing the net, trying to figure out when the ICAA will be sending their answer and I came across a little sentence that explained something about a policy change regarding the necessity of Australian Tax and Commercial law that came into place on the 1st of September 07! I was out of my skin with joy! Had a look at the CPA’s website and lo and behold there it was, the same policy change. So I sent them a little e-mail requesting a re-assessment and then waited….

26 October 07, I got a letter from the CPA – I qualified!!! :D

2 November 07, I got a letter from the ICAA – I qualified (Again!!)

Needles to say I was over the moon, proceeded immediately to apply for VE 175 online, 5 November my application was acknowledged, medicals done 22 November 07, got Police Clearance 3 December 07 and well, now I am waiting…..

So while I am waiting, I am enjoying the forum’s wealth of information and just knowing there are so many of you also waiting, really make it a lot easier!

Thanks for all the info and the overall positive attitude of the whole forum!

Maria :whome:

Welcome Maria ... You will do fine you have family in Aus and that in itself is priceless if your really bonded to your family .. I guess now your into the final countdown enjoy the time left in SA as that can never ever be replaced ( damn I wish now I lived life more and worried less when we were in Aus as we are now Aussie expats in Nor CAL usa) a look forward to the journey your end destination is going to put you on

Hey Maraai,

What a great feel-good story!! Congratulations on a) your perseverence and b)your positive skills assessment :whome:

Hope everything else goes as smoothly for you, and now that you've said hi, it's be great to see more posts from you in the future :D

Cheers

Ajay

Hi daar.

Baie welkom op die forum.

Hoop jy kry al jou antwoorde wat jy soek.

Hoop als werk vir jou reg uit en volgens plan.

Sterkte

Ursula

Thank you everyone!

I am really looking forward to seeing my sister and her family again! Haven't seen the little ones for 2 years now and I was used to seeing them at least twice a week!

Will be staying with my sister for the first 2/3 months, until I am on my own feet and have earned some AUZ$$$! Will have a bit more time than most to find a place to rent, for which I am really grateful.

:blush: A question I've had for some time though is this: What would you have taken with you that you didn't and also what would you've rather left behind?

Maria