best Brisbane suburbs /schools

owenss

Hi all,

As a newcomer to this site,there are a few things I was hoping thet you could help with.Firstly which are the nicest suburbs in and around Brisbane. I have done a lot of homework and had a looked at a few realestate sites but it is difficult getting a feel of a suburb from a picture of a house.

Although we have already been allocated a case officer and have done our medicals(28/12/2007)and are waiting for the PCC,we probably will only be leaving at the end of 2008. Our daughter will then of finished primary school and our son Grade 1. I have no idea which of the State schools are any good ,as the private schools are very pricey,from what I have seen on the Net.

Hope you guys out there will be able to help.

Regards Owenss

Edited by owenss

Dear Owenss,

We've only been in Brisbane for 4 months and I am still trying to find a suburb that excites me... :holy: We live in Indooroopilly and it is a nice suburb :lol: , but it is not taking my breath away. A lot of South Africans stay in this area/pocket which includes Taringa, Indooroopilly, Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Bellbowrie and surrounding suburbs. I also like Paddington, but it is older with lots of Queenslander houses, but it does have a lot of character...

I don't have children as yet, so I am definitely not an expert on schools :lol: . We have friends in Chapel Hill and their children go Chapel Hill Primary (State School). It seems as if most people opt for private schools for high school such as BBC (Brisbane Boys College) etc.

Good luck!

Bye, Pippa! X

Dear Owenss,

We've only been in Brisbane for 4 months and I am still trying to find a suburb that excites me... :holy: We live in Indooroopilly and it is a nice suburb :lol: , but it is not taking my breath away. A lot of South Africans stay in this area/pocket which includes Taringa, Indooroopilly, Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Bellbowrie and surrounding suburbs. I also like Paddington, but it is older with lots of Queenslander houses, but it does have a lot of character...

I don't have children as yet, so I am definitely not an expert on schools :lol: . We have friends in Chapel Hill and their children go Chapel Hill Primary (State School). It seems as if most people opt for private schools for high school such as BBC (Brisbane Boys College) etc.

Good luck!

Bye, Pippa! X

If you want to do the private school thing and for my dd she did and then didnt and I dont actually see the need state education is well excuse me Damn good here in Aus you can look at co-ed ormiston college out in cleveland for a private school if thats the way your thinking of going

Edited by NorCalAussie

Hi

The suburbs Pippa mentioned are Inner City and thus a little "cramped" with regards to traffic amount of people etc. I would advise you like Norcal said to try Cleveland area it's more open and not as old as Inner City, still have a few Queenlanders around but mostly newer type housed. Also depends on where you will be working though as traffic can be a bit hair raizing.

Other suburbs to look at will also be Northgate, Brackenridge, Bridgemandowns etc. All in all I would probaly live anywhere except Inala, Goodna and Wacol but those are also on the up and up with the shortage of houses so in a year or so those will also be ok.

We've bought a unit in Brassall in Ipswitch. We have friends that have lived there for the past 5 years and are very happy. Their children are in Boys and Girls Grammar, which were the first Private schools in Queensland. Very old tie and I believe a little cheaper than the Brissie Private schools.

So there you go, hope it helps a little.

N

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.I will be taking more interest in the areas you mentioned.I really don't mind travelling in the region of 12-15 kms to work everyday.I am fortunate at the moment though to only be travelling about 8kms to work .I am a radiographer at the Glynwood and finding a hospital in one of these areas would be an added bonus. Generally speaking ,how do the kids get to school?Do they have school buses and are they quite safe?I currently drop my kids at school on the way to work,but who knows what the circumstances will be in Oz.

Are any of the schools mentioned joint primary and high schools.Not that it would be a problem!!!

Thanx

Owenss

Owenss

One thing to remember that Brisbane is split in two halves by the river.

To such an extent that people tend to define themselves as being SOR or NOR.

At peak traffic times - getting across the river is a notorious problem.

They are building a new tunnel & bridges to deal with it (paid for by Tolls) but just like in Perth the government has been caught out by the pace of growth of the city. SE Queensland is estimated to have 1000 plus new residents per week in the last few years.

Ppublic transport is designed to run radially from suburbs into the centre. Not from one suburb to another (unles of course it's on the way in or out of the city)

If you can - try living and working and pick kids schools either NOR or SOR and save yourself a lot of time sitting in traffic.

One thing to remember that Brisbane is split in two halves by the river.

To such an extent that people tend to define themselves as being SOR or NOR.

GOSH it's not THAT bad!!!! I haven't noticed any animosity in the year we've been here. The river winds so much that it's sometimes very difficult to make out which side you are any way.

I don't think gappedit meant animosity between north and south, it is just SOR "south of the river" or NOR "north of the river"