Accomodation in the beginning

marlize/igno

We are wondering what the options available are when we just arrive in Perth. Where do you stay affordably untill your furniture arrive. We have seen some furnished apartments, but they cost about 600 dollars a week. The caravan parks have cabins for 120 dollars a night for 4 people. We think that we'll be coming in March. I will be working in Subiaco and hope to find accomodation close by. We are 2 adults and 2 children, aged 2 and 4.

Hi

You are not going to get anything fairly decent decent for much cheaper that $600.00 a week for furnished accommodation. :huh: Thats quite a good rate . Perhaps book furnished accommodation for 2 weeks.

When you arrive , you can start looking for a a place to rent , and hire the basics ie fridge and beds until your container arrives. I will get some prices for you next week and PM you. There are compnays that will rent you furniture for a month at a time. That wont cost you $600.00 per week plus your rental of course it also depends what areas you are looking at and how much you are prepared to pay.

Good Luck :ilikeit:

Hi,

Please pubish all the info on this topic. I might also be interested.

Thanks

Eugene

Hi

I agree, please publish for others as well.

Dankie :D

Edited by Limpie

Guest mrs mupersan

Hi Enrica

Please would you make a public post on this as I think this info would be useful to alot of people. I didn't even know that you could rent things like beds, lounge suites and fridges!!!

Thanks

Mandy

Edited by mrs mupersan

Due to huge demand herewith the prices as requested by various people. Please note that the websites that Deidre has advised are for a min rental period of 12 months on the 1 and 18month on the other.

BEDROOM

Single 1month $126.00 6 month $31.00 per month

Queen 1 month $133.00 6 months $38.00 per month

FRIDGE

220 LITRE $44.00 per month

360 LITRE $59.00 per month

WASHING MACHINES

5 KG Top Loader $38.00 per month

5kg Front Loader $48.00 per month

LOUNGE SUITE

2 1/2 seater $54.00 per month min charge 3 months

$44.00 per month min charge 6 months

DINNING ROOM SUITE (VERY CASUAL MEALS)

5 piece $66.00 per month and $22.00 per month thereafter

TELEVISION

68CM tv $49.00 per Month

Please note that this is an indication of costs.

What I have recommended this in the past to certain new arrivals, as it seems point less once you have found a rental and you are waiting for your container to arrive , to contunue staying in furnished accommodation. It certainly works out cheaper to rent the furniture even if its just for a month.

I have in the past offered a set of plates/duvets/pillows /sheets/ towels/kettle/glasses/knives and forks/mugs etc on loan. I have a blowup mattress and spare TV , which I am quite happy to loan out if you contact me in advance and these items are available.

Hope this is of some help to all of you .

Regards

Enrica :D

Hi Enrica and Deidre,

Thank you so much for the info. I'll let you know if and when we need to take up your offer.

We'll have a look at the websites posted.

Marlize and Igno

Hallo Enrica and other Perth-ians,

I live in Adelaide and as result am not very familiar with the housing market in Perth. My brother and his wife, plus 2 kids aged 1 and 5 years old are moving to Perth first half of this year. Can someone tell me the avarage rent for a place suitable for them, say a 2 or 3 bedroom house or unit ?

I appreciate the feedback, thanks in advance.

Hi, they can budget an average of $400- $500.00 upwards per week depending on the area . You can get cheaper but then the areas are perhaps not what they would be accustomed to.

Hope that helps some :ilikeit:

Hallo

I also want to thank Enrica and Deidre. We are living in Potchefstroom and also want to settle in Perth or surroundings. Can anyone recommend an area in the $400 pw range? ;)

Limpie,

You need to be a bit more specific. Do you have children? Do you want 2 bathrooms or will 1 be sufficient?

How far from the city? etc etc.....

Anything else thats important to your?

You can get townhouses for a bit less than $400.00 a week, but really it all depends on the areas and what you are looking for?

GIve me some idea and I will make some suggestions.

If you look at http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

This site will give you a pretty good idea of whats available and on the market.

Cheers

Enrica :blush:

Hallo Enrica

Thanx for your reply. At this stage we are not very particular. So a townhouse or house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath will do. We do not want tol live in Perth CBD. We have 2 kids ages 9 and 11. :ilikeit:

Limpie

Hi Limpie,

Not sure when you are arriving , but looking at your kids ages your eldest is almost due for high school .

My yougest is 12 and starts high school this year. So I am not sure if that is going to be a deceiding factor.

Are you going to government high schools? If so I can only speak for the Northern Suburbs of Perth.

Look at schools like Carine Senior High/ Woodvale Senior High/Ocean Reef and Duncraig High

Feeding areas for Carine- Duncraig South and Carine/Karrinyup

Woodvale: - Woodvale/Part of Kingsley and Edgewater

Ocean Reef- Ocean Reef

Duncraig: Duncraig/Padbury/Hillarys/Sorrento

Rentals in the $400.00 mark in those areas - you basically need to look at Edgewater/parts of Kingsley and

with a bit of luck Woodavle ie 3 x 1 (3 bedrooms 1 bathroom) . Padbury and perhaps Duncraig in a 3 x 1

If High Schools are not an issue have a look at areas like Joondalup (lots of town houses) and Currambine/Kinross/Edgewater/occassionally a 3 x 1 comes up in Ocean Reef.

Areas like Duncraig/Sorrento/Hillarys/Karrinyup are all good areas , but you will be pushed to find a rental at $400.00 a week.

I have given you some good areas to have a look at. A starting point.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers

Enrica ;)

Hi Enrica

Thanx again for your reply. Your assumption of our sutuation is on the dot. :holy: I will have a look at the areas you have suggested. :holy:

Thank you again

Limpie

Hi all

I've been on this forum before, but haven't been posting for a couple of months. Long and short is that I've been offered a job in Perth. I'm a bit clueless about the exact visa timelines, but it looks like we will probably be in Perth end-March/beginning-April.

I'll be working in Joondalup, so would it be best for me to look for a townhouse to rent in Joondalup? What are the suburbs closest to Joondalup? How far would areas like Duncraig be? I'll be coming with my wife and our 3-year old (will be 4 later this year). We would be happy to look at 2-bed to start with, but would obvously prefer a 3-bed! Would I be able to get places in the $250-$350/week with these specs? My boy is not school-going yet, but we'd obviously want to get him into a good pre-school, with a view to getting him into a good government/private school when he's ready for grade 1.

Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome!

Thank you!

Dear Ronfire,

There are plenty of townhouses/duplexes and houses in Joondalup (city) and surrounds. So you should be able to find accommodation in Joondlup to suit you. Joondalup is a lovely area with great schools and a good infrastructure.

Other areas close by would be Connelly/Currambine/Kinross/Edgewater/Wanneroo/Ashby/Hocking/Ocean Reef. Duncraig is about 15kms from Joondalup.

Good private school in Joondalup is Lake Joondalup baptist College which goes from Kindy to Year 12.

If you are Catholic you have St Simon Peter (Primary School)/ and Prindiville Collge and Mater Dei.

The Catholic schools are hoping to open 2 single gender schools in the Joondalup Are in the next 2-3 years.

You also have the option of Quinns Rock Baptist College in Quinns Rock which is about 10kms from Joondalup and Peter Moyes which is an Anglican School in Mindarie.

Hope that is of some help. Have a look at the domain.com.au for an idea on rentals

Regards

Enrica :holy:

Sorry I forgot to add Carramar, as St Stephens has a campus in Carramar, thats close to Joondalup - 8 mins

away.

Sorry I forgot to add Carramar, as St Stephens has a campus in Carramar, thats close to Joondalup - 8 mins

away.

Thanks very much for this! I downloaded Google Earth and had look at the Joondalup area (and surroundings). I would probably try and stay in Joondalup, close to work, to allow us to settle in slowly before we pick up a set of wheels. Also, based on your feedback I did some Googling (where would we be without this??) and Joondalup is definitely the right place to be for schools,etc!

I gather that public transport is outta this world, 'specially for us from SA, so I would think getting around is not dependent on having your own transport?

Dear Ronfire,

Correct, public transport is great. Joondalup has a very efficient bus services and of course rail link to the city. Also theire is a CAT Service in hte joondalup city area. A Cat service is a free service to get around

the "city" centre.

You can view the maps/time etc on http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

Also Joondalup is close to Wangara ( 10 Mins away) - which is like motor town , all the major dealers and heeps and heeps of second hand car dealers in Wangara. Alternativly if you are not in a hurry you can always look at purchasing a car at the auctions . There is an auction house in Balacatta - Pickles Auction House.

They have auctions every Tuesday Governement/Fleet and Repossesions

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/

Hope that helps

Cheers

Enrica :lol:

WOW ... you all are fantastic ... helping out us little okes ... just to make the transition easire ...

THANK-YOU!!!

I second that motion!!!!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Also Joondalup is close to Wangara ( 10 Mins away) - which is like motor town , all the major dealers and heeps and heeps of second hand car dealers in Wangara. Alternativly if you are not in a hurry you can always look at purchasing a car at the auctions . There is an auction house in Balacatta - Pickles Auction House.

They have auctions every Tuesday Governement/Fleet and Repossesions

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/

Thanks!!! I checked out pickles.com.au and looks real good! Thanks again!

Hi Ronfire

If you are going to go the auction route, please check out the used car values on the following website

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/

That way you know what would be the maximum amount to bid on a bargain.

Normal when you buy a car on auction, you get the remainder or balance of the new car warranty . Also most auction house supply a RAC Report on the car.

Another tip when buying on auction , the first batch of cars always sell at quite a high price as most people want to get in and out ASAP, but if you are patient and find a car you like at number 20/30/40 or 70 you can get a good deal.

My Other half loves buying cars on auction!!! :ilikeit:

Have Fun!!!!!