Contracts?

Guest colton

Guest colton

I was just wondering; what happens if you go over on a 457 and your 136 comes through say 3 months later. I know that the 457 becomes nulll and void but what about the company who sponsored you, aren't you contracted to them for the full 2 years or is the contract also null and void?

Say you decide not to continue working with the sponsored company after a year or whatever, get a better offer, etc, won't the sponsored company make you pay back the cost of the 457? How do prevent something like this from happening? I am having nightmares thinking that after paying the 136 costs in rands this side to be then nailed with the 457 costs in dollars as well, what a nightmare!!!

Hi Colton,

All these specific terms should be dealt with in the contract and would all form part of the negotiation. Most companies that sponsor a 457 would insist on some kind of service period, and if you terminate prior to it, would want some kind of compensation. As far as I am aware, the cost of the actual visa application is only around $500, so you shouldn't owe them much more than that, unless they have also paid some kind of relocation allowance as well.

Good luck!

Ajay

I was just wondering; what happens if you go over on a 457 and your 136 comes through say 3 months later. I know that the 457 becomes nulll and void but what about the company who sponsored you, aren't you contracted to them for the full 2 years or is the contract also null and void?

Say you decide not to continue working with the sponsored company after a year or whatever, get a better offer, etc, won't the sponsored company make you pay back the cost of the 457? How do prevent something like this from happening? I am having nightmares thinking that after paying the 136 costs in rands this side to be then nailed with the 457 costs in dollars as well, what a nightmare!!!

Guest colton

Thanks Ajay,

My agent has also said that. She mentioned that rather pay for your own relocation costs so that you won't be indebted too much to them. I heard of someone from here who was sponsored in on a 457 and signed a 4 year contract, quite risky as he has no idea of what the company is like etc. Having said all that hubby will most likely love his job and stay forever!! He was with his previous company for 27 years, he doesn't like change too much :ilikeit:

Just to add to this quickly, we are currently on 457 visa (valid for 4 years) and busy changing employers. No hassles so far. We paid for our own relocation cost.

Cheers