Exporting Address book from Outlook

Enrica

Hi

Can any of you computer fundis please explain how I export my outlook express address book to a flash drive please?

You help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Enrica, I did mine as follows:

(I'm using Windows XP and Outlook Express 6.something). This routine should hopefully work for you. Not sure about regular Outlook tho.

Opened Outlook Express

Clicked on the "Addresses" button.

In the window that came up, I went to "File | Export | Other Address Book..."

In the window that came up, I selected "Text File (Comma Separated Values)" and clicked on the "Export" button when it then became enabled.

It asked me where I wanted to save it to, so put it into a file called "test" on my Desktop (makes it easy to find) and hit the "Next" button.

Ticked the boxes I wanted and hit "Finish"

Closed all the little windows.

It made a file called "test.csv" on my Desktop, which I could then open in Excel (or you can open it in notepad or something too, it just looks a little messier).

(note that if you open it in Excel, it sometimes shows the phone numbers incorrectly, like '27E102'. It hasn't broken anything, that's just how Excel tries to translate them, the numbers are correct. open in notepad if you don't believe me :unsure: ).

You can then copy this file to your flash drive (right click file, click 'Copy', go to flash drive in Explorer, click on 'Edit | Paste' in Explorer window and voila!)

Hope that helps! :wacko:

wislon.

Edited by wislon

Thanks Wislon

Came here seeking emmigration advice & get computer advice in the bargain :blink:

Just an aside.

Is it possible to use the same process (in reverse) to import the CSV's to an address book on another computer ?

Thanks

D

Thanks Wislon

Came here seeking emmigration advice & get computer advice in the bargain :blush:

Just an aside.

Is it possible to use the same process (in reverse) to import the CSV's to an address book on another computer ?

Thanks

D

This place is a one stop shop! :ilikeit:

Pleasure! Assuming it worked! :ilikeit:

And I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, since they have an 'Import' menu option as well. Haven't tried it myself tho.

Something else you could try (if you're just looking to backup your contacts) is do a search for any files with a '.wab' extension (presumably it stands for 'Windows Address Book'). It found mine way down deep in my Documents and Settings folder. Double clicking it opened it up in that Address Book window. Once you've found the one(s) containing your contacts, just copy that file instead. I think you could probably overwrite the one on another PC with that one and have your contacts transferred that way, but that's just theoretical at this point, never really done it myself.

Pleasure to be of service. The invoice is in the mail :ilikeit:

wislon.

• 1 month later...

Another option is to export to PST (Personal Folders) which removes the need to import. Outlook and Outlook express offers the ability to copy the file to CD / local drive on any computer then go to Fiel > Open outlook data file > Location of PST.

I use PST's for archiving as well and what really helps is you can archive email, notes, calendars and contacts in one easy file.

Another option is to export to PST (Personal Folders) which removes the need to import. Outlook and Outlook express offers the ability to copy the file to CD / local drive on any computer then go to Fiel > Open outlook data file > Location of PST.

I use PST's for archiving as well and what really helps is you can archive email, notes, calendars and contacts in one easy file.

Does Outlook Express use PST files?

I'll admit it's been a while since I used 'proper' Outlook... and I detest Outlook Express. Prefer Thunderbird myself :ilikeit:

Hey Wislon

Yep the new OE can finally open PST's. The older versions can still import them as well. If you are using Vista OE has been replaced by MS Mail which is a watered down version of Outlook

HI WESLON

ONE QUESTION TO ASK THE ALL DREADED VISTA PROGRAM !!!!!

I HAVE IT ON MY BRAIN BOX AND I AM HAPPY WITH IT "BUT "

HOW WELL OR FAR AHEAD IS IT IN AUSTRALIA ?

AS SOME OF THE PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE IT DOES NOT TAKE SO I NEED TO GER NEW STUFF

I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THIS IN AUST.

THANKS DEREK

POWELL2BRISBANE

HI WESLON

AS SOME OF THE PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE IT DOES NOT TAKE SO I NEED TO GER NEW STUFF

THANKS DEREK

POWELL2BRISBANE

Location only matters as far as internet speeds are concerned. Most hardware now is supported via windows update. Service pack 1 is also 2 months away which will make Vista a stable release

HI WESLON

THANKS DEREK

POWELL2BRISBANE

The software and updates will be fine. The only thing I found was that certain printers has what the manufacturers call Localized Ink Supplies (check your printers documentation on Ink Supplies). This means you cannot buy cartridges in Aus for a printer bought in SA!

To fix the problem you have to phone the printer's helpdesk and they will take you through a very technical procedure on you printer and PC to reset the region to Aus. (This can only be done once and you cannot go back again).