SA to UK to OZ

dave&mel

Hi everyone.

My family is currently living in the Uk but we are also trying to get into australia.

I have managed to get a job offer in Mackay, Queensland and we are applying for a 857 visa as i dont have

enough points to emigrate. We have been living in the uk for 5 years now and still feel

as if we dont fit in. My wife has family in Yeppoon so at least we will have some family there.

I will keep you posted on how our application goes, we have submitted all the forms so now just

a question of waiting, hopefully not too long :ilikeit: We are doing the application ourselves so hopefully all will go well.

If anyone is from the mackay area or is going to mackay get in touch, it will be good to make friends

before we get there.

Has anyone else done the same as us, moving to uk then to oz, be interesting to see if anyone has.

cheers

Edited by dave&mel

Hi everyone.

My family is currently living in the Uk but we are also trying to get into australia.

I have managed to get a job offer in Mackay, Queensland and we are applying for a 857 visa as i dont have

enough points to emigrate. We have been living in the uk for 5 years now and still feel

as if we dont fit in. My wife has family in Yeppoon so at least we will have some family there.

I will keep you posted on how our application goes, we have submitted all the forms so now just

a question of waiting, hopefully not too long :D We are doing the application ourselves so hopefully all will go well.

If anyone is from the mackay area or is going to mackay get in touch, it will be good to make friends

before we get there.

Has anyone else done the same as us, moving to uk then to oz, be interesting to see if anyone has.

cheers

what is an 857 visa as we also do not have sufficient points but I do have a sister willing to sponsor us to Oz

Welcome Dave & Mel, your answers have been found. Its a broad comment , but I am sure that on this forum you will get the answers that you need..

I do not know of an 857, but am certain that while I read up on it, someone will shed some light..

Hang with us, your journey is about to begin..

Scott :jester:

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If I' correct the 857 is a Regional Sponsored Visa. Just to make sure Google it, I would say " Australia visa 857" see what comes up and read read read. I think after all of us have gone thru the process we don't need much more studying to be migration agents!! LOL

N

Howdy Dave & Mel,

I moved from SA to UK to Aus. Spent just over 7 years in London and have been in Melbourne for a year now. :jester:

hi there, we are in the UK, just starting process for Oz, hoping to be there in 2009......

Moved from SA to UK - lived in Kent for 4 and a half years and have been in Perth for almost two years now. The second move is easier - you have less expectations.

The second move is easier - you have less expectations.

I tend to agree. The first move prepares you for what to expect in terms of getting on your feet, missing family, etc. England's not an easy place to move to as it's culturally different.

I think that Australia is the easier out of the two to move to as it seemed more like moving back to a similar lifestyle as what I had back in SA.

Hi,

Im a Cape Town boy who has been in London for 3 and a bit yrs.Ive just been transferred to Melbourne with my company(something I initiated).London can get damn cold,dark early, wet and grey but besides that its great for travel and to establish yourself and prehaps get a job in Oz or even the U.S after a while. S.A will not give me the job security I need so Oz is my first choice-great weather,stable economy,great travel in the east,similar mindsets. Im already looking at getting my surfboard sent from Slaapstad and the fishing rods cant wait to be cast !

cheers,

Jimmi

Hi,

Im a Cape Town boy who has been in London for 3 and a bit yrs.Ive just been transferred to Melbourne with my company(something I initiated).London can get damn cold,dark early, wet and grey but besides that its great for travel and to establish yourself and prehaps get a job in Oz or even the U.S after a while. S.A will not give me the job security I need so Oz is my first choice-great weather,stable economy,great travel in the east,similar mindsets. Im already looking at getting my surfboard sent from Slaapstad and the fishing rods cant wait to be cast !

cheers,

Jimmi

"Slaapstad" :D

Welcome fellow SA to London to Melbournite. :ilikeit:

Hi

we moved between South africa and the uk three times, before getting our visas to move here to Australia.

we have settled in from day one here.. it is so similar to life as we know it!!

We are on the gold coast... our daughter has gone to school in SA, UK and now here, and is enjoying it over here..

every day we say how lucky we are to be able to live in such a lovely place.

good luck and things will be a lot easier than your move to the uk..

Hi there,

We moved to the Gold Coast almost a year ago after living in Surrey for 10 years. We have found it very difficult (sorry to be the odd one out) to settle, although that may be down to our circumstances. We are here on a 457 visa in order to roll out a project which should be completed by this time next year. We miss UK very much, even the cold, but this might be because we were there too long iykwim? We came out without an LSD trip and naively thought it would be a warmer version of England...which it is not.

Our last resort before moving back to UK is to try Sydney (or even Melbourne) but are hesitant only because we are tired of feeling unsettled and limboland is not a nice place to be.

Have just posted in the Communities section regarding St Ives in Sydney and hope to get some feedback from there.

Best of luck to you - I am happy to tell you that we are probably the only Saffers that we know that have not settled down here in Oz - so am certain that you will be very happy here. It is a beautiful country full with opportunity.

Regards,

Candygirl

Edited by CandyGirl

Hiya,

Hubby and i also been living in London for the past 5 1/2 years and hopefully will be in Melbourne next year.

Candygirl, I hope you settle down soon :o If it helps at all, it is freezing and mis here... grey and depressing :blink::wacko: My body is actually craving sunshine :o:( Good luck

Lisabella

We did the trip as well :blush: 7 years in the UK. Should have moved to Aus years ago, but we'll never regret the experiences we had in the UK.

Yvonne said the truest thing I have heard in a long while: It is so much easier the second time around because your expectations are so much lower and the culture shock has already done its "damage". As long as you realise that Aus is not SA and it's not the UK, not even versions of it, but its own unique place and a whole new set of rules and history to learn, you're set... :ilikeit:

Thanks for all the replies, yes our visa is a regional sporsorship so we have to stay in mackay for 2 years.

We will be sending in our last documents in early jan so hopefully not much longer but we have heard there is a big backlog for medicals to be approved :blush: so dont know how long that will take to be approved.

cheers for now and hopefully come the new year we can get some of that vitamin D that you ozzies are getting so much of and we are getting none of.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know our visa was aproved today so finally we can get our things organised for

the big trek. Should hopefully leave on the 3rd of march so ozzie here we come.

cheers

dave

Hi there,

We moved to the Gold Coast almost a year ago after living in Surrey for 10 years. We have found it very difficult (sorry to be the odd one out) to settle, although that may be down to our circumstances. We are here on a 457 visa in order to roll out a project which should be completed by this time next year. We miss UK very much, even the cold, but this might be because we were there too long iykwim? We came out without an LSD trip and naively thought it would be a warmer version of England...which it is not.

Our last resort before moving back to UK is to try Sydney (or even Melbourne) but are hesitant only because we are tired of feeling unsettled and limboland is not a nice place to be.

Candygirl

I hope you find the place you looking for. Maybe the GC is not for you. We too moved from SAtoUKtoOZ and for me its really a warmer version of UK. We are in Melbourne and it definitely has an european flair to it. SO maybe give Melbourne a try before going back to UK. For us there is no better place to be and we are so thankful for finding the lucky country third time round.

All the best.

Hi Dave & Mel

That is great news. We are also going on the RSMS visa (119 - Offshore), what was yourtime linelike, we submitted documents 21 January and sending PCC through tomorrow, we frontloaded PCC & Meds. Let us know. There is a guy on the form Lee2Oz, he is in Mackay, PM him he is great.

We are going to Rocky so not far from you about 300Km - I think

Nicki

Hi Nicki G

We sent our visa by post end nov, we sent pcc with but not medicals, we did medicals 11 jan, received 23 jan in sydney

and visa was approved 30 jan so goes quite quickly, would have been quicker if we did medicals sooner.

My wifes cousin lives in yeppoon so we will visit the area soon.

cheers

dave&mel