Dogs and firearms

Ziggy

We bought a bullterrier about 6 months ago. Kids love her and wanted to know if we can take her with. Anybody with experience taking pets into Aus and how bad it will hurt a "bobbejaan se sak"?

I also have 2 hunting rifles. Is there somebody that can give me advice regarding this matter, please. Am I allowed to bring the rifles into Aus and how difficult is it to get the permits that side? Any oppertunities to use them? It was so easy to take it into NZ, but it was a real problem getting them back in SA. If it will be difficult again taking it from here, I'll rather give it to the police to melt, because to my understanding there is not a good second hand market for rifles in SA anymore.

Hi Tukino - don't think we've met before! Welcome. :blink:

Sorry, I have no idea about the hunting rifles, hopefully someone else here will be able to assist. What I do know is that if you hand them over to the police they must be in working order - a friend is currently involved in a legal battle because she destroyed the firing mechanism of her firearm before giving it in!

Dogs, check out Keringa National Telephone 0861 30 31 32 Kempton Park(Head office) (011) 976 - 3030. If you post a query on their website, detailing the animal and the cities of origin and destination they will mail you a quote for quarantine and transport.

All the best

Cindylou

Hi

Dogs very expensive that is al I know about that, the hunting rifles depends on what kind of rifles it is, shot gun for instance is easy to get in but something like a 30 – 06, 308 est. not that easy. I have friends that hunt on a regular basis, the live in Australia as well and did not bring their rifles with. The rifles are in storage in South Africa. So I think it is possible but very difficult.

Tukino, you can bring certain firearms into Australia, but they are very strict and there's a lot of paperwork involved. Here's the form you'll need to complete - it's a B709A B709A_Certificate_Application_for_Firearms.pdf

As far as the dog goes: the American Pitbull Terrier is now prohibited in Aus (the Aussies who have them already can keep them, but they must be sterilised and you're not allowed to breed with them) - so check out first if you could bring your "version". Your best bet would maybe be to contact the Eastern Creek Quarantine Station here in Aus:

Eastern Creek Quarantine Station, New South Wales

60 Wallgrove Rd

Eastern Creek NSW 2766

Contact details

Phone: 61 2 9625 4566

Fax: 61 2 9832 1532

E-mail: EasternCreek.AQS@aqis.gov.au

Office hours

The administration office is open Monday to Friday from 08:00am to 4:30pm. This office is closed on public holidays.