How long for a comeback?

Guest colton

Guest colton

My hubby had a really good telephone interview with a company in australia this morning. All heads of departments were there including the HR head. The interview lasted about an hour and hubby says all sounded positive, the people were very friendly and it seems like they were happy with him. The thing is though at the end of the interview they never said when they would come back to him, HR department head said they needed to check the referees he had given.

We understand all that and realize that you need more than one interview to get the job, especially telephonically, but how long is a reasonable time before they come back with a yes or no? Is a week too long, too short or the norm? We would just like to have an idea of when to expect some feed back as he has some other interviews lined up but this is the job he really likes and he wouldn't like to accept something else when he could get this one!

Holding thumbs that he gets this job.... :)

Hi Colton,\

First up, congrats to hubby on a positive first interview! They are always the most nerve wracking! And it is's great that they got all the decision makers together early on in the process. Unfortunately, it is impossible to say how long these things take - everyone has their own process and procedures. However, if he was interviewed yesterday and it was left that they were going to do referencing, then if I were you, I would follow up today with an email, thanking them for their time and telling them again how excited you are at the prospect of joining such a great team. Explain that you are also talking to other potential employers, but that this opportunity is far more interesting to you than the others and you would welcome the opportunity to progress further with them. Then ask them if they could gve you an indication as to the timeline that they are working to so as to allow you to manage prioritise and manage expectations. Offer to make yourself available for a video conference (there are many places that offer this at a decent rate) if that suits them.

If you haven't heard back from them by Friday, I would place a call to them on Friday afternoon and ask if they have received your email and if they are able to indicate when you could expect a response. If still no word by Tuesday next week, I would call them again and ask outright if you are in consideration.

Best of luck!

Ajay

Guest colton

Thanks Ajay

This is a difficult thing because you don't want to seem pushy but you also want them to know you are interested. Thanks will follow up!

We are having the same problem. My dh had a successful first interview on the telephone, then it took absolute ages (a month or so) to set up the second interview. That went well too, and they told us they would be in contact to set up a Functional Capacity Test. That was three weeks ago...... and we are STILL waiting.....

In the meantime, we've started circulating his CV again.

Hi Guys,

Ajay has given some good advice on this, maybe follow them up in a very nice way. But the only problem you are potentially faced with here is that if you bug them too much they might think you are too desperate! The trick is to follow them up and to make them understand (in a very nice way) that you have many other options to choose form and if they wanted you, they need to get back to you asap. How soon to do this and how often is something you must judge for yourself - it can be tricky.

I lived in Brisbane when I applied for my job and the process to get my job took about 3 weeks, which included 3 interviews and extensive psychometric assessment. Anyway the point is that sometimes it just takes long and they are potentially talking to a couple of other candidates, also from overseas too! Reference checking, internationally, might also take some time - the Aussies tend to put a lot of weight on this factor especially if you are applying for more senior positions.

In my opinion you should apply for as many positions as possible, even if you like the specific one you were interviewed for. This way you might get a couple of interviews and you are able to hedge your bets!This makes you more confident and appear less desperate and this comes over in your dealings with a company. So if you do tell them you have other options you can actually back it up!

Good fortune!

Employment BUG

Guest colton

Just a quick update:

Hubby had the interview Tuesday morning, he (meaning me who does all the ground work ;)) sent an email to the recruitment company on Friday afternoon, just asked if they could give me some kind of time frame of when to expect some comeback. They emailed back later stating that the interview went well and they were conducting some more interviews next week, but next week Friday I would hear back from them. I feel that it was not too desperate and at least we have some time frame to work to.

The problem with us is that hubby has had three interviews and one company has said yes to him and now they are wanting to start the 457 process but we don't want them to go to all that trouble and expense if he gets the other job. What do we tell this company? It is also a very good position but the other one is better pay and less travelling. :blink:

Hi Colton,

Great news on the offer! What a tricky situation you are in now!!

My advice - hedge your bets. You don't want to risk losing the offer on the table, but I understand that the other job sounds good too. In order to get the 457 process started, you need to gather a lot of documentation and complete a fair amount of paperwork. The sponsoring employer will not incur too much cost upfront - payment is only made once the application is lodged, so you have some measure of control over the speed of the process. It sounds very clinical and mercenary, but you need to put you and your needs first here. If I were in your position, I would accept the other offer and wait for them to send you the paperwork, whilst exploring the other opportunity to closure. I wouldn't apply for any other jobs though - just finalise those that have started, and don't drag it beyond the deadline that they have committed to.

Depending on how confident hubby feels about the interview on Tuesday, he might also tell them that he has another offer on the table and see what response he gets. However, and I say this as an HR and Recruitment professional, when a company says "great meeting you, we just have other people to interview as well" they are still unsure and so the risk is greater. Believe me, (and again, I say this in a professional capacity) employers and recruiters hedge their bets as much as the next person, so don't beat yourself up too much for doing the same :blink:

Let us know how you go and congrats again on the first offer!

DD - any news from your side yet?

Love

Ajay

Guest colton

Thanks again, It just feels dishonest, I know it sounds crazy :P but as you say we need to look out for ourselves as well. Will follow your advise though!!! :blink:

One good thing is that at least people are interested and he won't battle to find work which was a great concern for us. It does give you a confidence boost at least ;)

Good on you Colton,

Yip you guys are very fortunate that you have options, and you (your hubby) seem wanted, and that's good! Nice work - keep it positive and don't beat yourself up over the choices and options, believe me like Ajay said, the companies look at this very clinically and they won't bat an eyelid or loose sleep over having to possibly reject someone for the "best" candidate - according to them.

I'm an HR manager in an financial organisation in Brisbane and believe you me Ajay is right, we have so many positions to fill regularly and we don't get too sentimental over the choices, so please even if you are "rejected" it only means that you were not the right fit for them, there are so many options and other opportunities out there!

Get mercenary my dear, look after yourselves and play the game with as much vigour - remember Aussie has a general shortage of skills so companies can't be to hard up if you have the right skills, that is your point of strength. Also the best time to negotiate anything is in the period after they've made an offer and before you accept - once employed it is generally more difficult to negotiate things. Don't overdo it though but keep it in mind.

Anyway enough yacking on from me now, I'm sure you guys will be just fine!

C'bug

Edited by chatterbug