University Fee's

Joey_Muchacho

Hi

I have a friend whose coming over with two kids who are about to enter university, but they are worried that they'll have to pay exorbitant fees since they aren't citizens as yet. I just want to know how much university fees cost in Oz for non-citizens?

If they are PR(permenant residents) depending on the Uni and the course average is $5000.00 , if they are non residents is 457 visa or similar you are looking at about $25 000.00........... ow

Hi

I have a friend whose coming over with two kids who are about to enter university, but they are worried that they'll have to pay exorbitant fees since they aren't citizens as yet. I just want to know how much university fees cost in Oz for non-citizens?

Hi Joey

My son (arrived in Australia on a Student Visa) did a degree through the University of South Australia and the cost was approx $1900 per subject (as a full fee paying student). Total annual cost was therefore $1900 x 4 subjects = $7600 x 2 semesters = $ 15 200.Approx $45 600 for a three year degree.

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi There!

I will be studying in Brisbane next year; International fees is very expensive (if you are not a permanent resident)-it depends ofcourse on the university and course-some cost as much as 12000AUS$ per semester(24 000AUS$ a year) without books etc.

I've heard somewhere that if you applied for a PR and received a case officer that you can pay domestic fees. Can anyone confirm that on the forum?

good luck :ilikeit:

Jaans, that would be interested to know.

I would just like to add a question. What happens if you apply of get PR during the studies? I know the courses have to be paid in advance, but can you get a pro-rata refund? Otherwise I must recalculate my options and wait for the Pr before enrolling my daughter. That will save me a lot of money!!

Hi JayJay,

You only pay prorata for each semester (all the courses you enroll in in that semester). There is a deadline (census date) for each semester's fees and then there is a grace period where you can get a refund if you can prove your PR (I think 7 March). I'm not sure about the exact dates, but it also depends on where you study. I got this information on the University of Queensland website: www.uq.edu.au

They will then pay the refund for international minus domestic fees for that semester. So I'm hoping I will get PR before the second semester's fees is due (sometime in August 2008)!! :)

Did you apply for e175 or paper route?How long do you think your PR will still take? I am willing to pay one semester's international fees and then domestic because I don't want to waste a whole year of studies-the sooner you finish the better-it will also help your daughter adjust in Aus!

Hi Jaans,

Thanks for the answers, but we decided that we shall rather wait for the PR.

We are only due to arrive in Feb adn then only have toapply for PR.

My son is currently studying Commerce at Curtin University (Perth). He is here on a PR visa and the cost is around $3,700, 00 per semester (Commonwealth assisted) + books and etc. Without PR the cost would be around $7,400 per semester = $14,800 per year. My understanding is that if you study Engineering or Medicine this cost will increase substantially.

Hi Jaans,

Thanks for the answers, but we decided that we shall rather wait for the PR.

We are only due to arrive in Feb adn then only have toapply for PR.

Hi Jay Jay

Jay Jay be very, very careful about taking general comments based on other people's (including mine) experiences and circumstances and applying them (out of context) to your daughters situation.

From what I have read on this and other threads your daughter is 23 years of age and not dependant on you. Once you have been granted PR you will then (and only then) be able to sponsor her Student Visa.

If your daughter is granted a Student Visa, she will be a full fee paying student and the fact that you may have PR status at that time will have no bearing on the costs of her studies.

I suggest that you contact the UNIS in the city/state that you are moving to and get an opinion based on your daughters specific circumstances.

regards

Manny

The Universities around Australia are under Commonwealth law, so the Australian gov't sets fees and guidelines to courses.

The gov't has set fees according to three "bands" and the payment is the same for any course within one of those three bands.

Arts, nursing, etc. are in Band One. . . . around $3 900 a year

Science, Engineering, etc. are in Band Two. . . . around $5 900 a year

Law, Medicine, Dentistry are in the top fee paying Band Three. . . . around $7 000 a year

These figures are for Australian citizens and permanent residents may be charged considerably more. Overseas students pay the full fee each year.

One of my daughters goes to the University of Newcastle in New South Wales to study Occupational Therapy (which is in Band 2 for fee purposes, but may be switching to Medicine next year (which is in Band 3)

All Universities in Australia get heavily subsidised by the Australian gov't although there are a couple of "private" Universities outside gov't subsidy and fee setting guidelines, etc.

About 5 years back, the Australian gov't allowed Universities to charge over and above the fees normally set for each band, up to 25% more.

If a particular course or University was every popular, then that course and / or that University may charge up to an extra 25% on top of the set fee, but within this restraint, you'll find all courses in all Uni's around Australia will be the same.

Some of the smaller, less well known Universities, such as the University of Tasmania, still only charge the going rate . . . no 25% increase . . . so, shop around for a good Uni at a reasonable price.