Here we go ....

WouterG

Hi All,

I am going to start this thread to document our experiences and timelines. It might come be usefull to someone down the line. I am keeping it as a diary just to remind myself ;-)

We decide on the groot trek two months ago. Luckily I work for a large mutlinational and can get a transfer to the office in Melbourne.

Started inquiring ......................................................... 16 October 2007.

Contact with employer ................................................. 23 October 2007

First video conference .................................................. 25 October 2007

Second interview ......................................................... 07 November 2007

Entered the HR process ................................................ 14 Novemer 2007

Job Offer .................................................................... 30 November 2007

Return Job offer ..........................................................

See RSA financial advisor ............................................

Holiday in Port Alfred ................................................... 15 December to 29 December

now the fun starts.

House Evaluation ........................................................... 29 November 2007

Car adverts on AA Autobay ............................................ 30 November 2007

Motorcycle advert .......................................................... 30 November 2007

in the mean time thing to consider and do

1. found this forum (priceless )

2. documents , documents

3. rental areas in Melbourne ( domain.com.au ) also (realestate.com.au)

4. car research in OZ ( http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/, carpoint.com.au )

5. School research in Melbourne ( google earth - of all places - helps a lot )

6. Container research ( here nad other sources )

7. Bank research

Edited by Mara

Hi Wouter - good luck with it all - it is a BIG move. However, I have one well recommended container person for you. Carol Cloete of Moving Connections. She worked for Pickfords for a long time and now this is her own business. She is pretty on the ball according to my sources and her number is 082 344 1497 - this goes through to her office number I believe. I didnt use her but have friends who did and they have been more than happy.

Your documents are the thing to move on. Without them you are not able to do anything. So before the holiday in Port Alfred I suggest that you make a start and ensure you have all the unabridged ones you need, birth, marriage etc. Good luck with the house - I believe things are really tough in the property market right now. Nevertheless - hang in there and get here!

Pat

Started inquiring ......................................................... 16 October 2007.

Contact with employer ................................................. 23 October 2007

First video conference .................................................. 25 October 2007

Second interview ......................................................... 07 November 2007

Entered the HR process ................................................ 14 Novemer 2007

Job Offer .................................................................... 30 November 2007

Return Job offer .......................................................... 5 December 2007

See RSA financial advisor ............................................ 5 December 2007

Holiday in Port Alfred ................................................... staying at home and spending money wisely

Documentation requested via bunnyhop........................... 5 December 2007

Immigration Agent appointed ......................................... 06 December 2007

now the fun starts.

House Evaluation ........................................................... 29 November 2007

House on the market ..................................................... 06 december 2007

Car adverts on AA Autobay ............................................ 30 November 2007

Motorcycle advert .......................................................... 30 November 2007

2. documents , documents

3. rental areas in Melbourne ( domain.com.au )

7. Bank research

Hi Wouter

Congratulations with your decision, hope all goes smoothly. Do shout if there is anything I can assist you with!

Hi Mara,

Thanks - now for schools and place to live.

I did a post in the Education section.

Hi Wouter - good luck with it all - it is a BIG move. However, I have one well recommended container person for you. Carol Cloete of Moving Connections. She worked for Pickfords for a long time and now this is her own business. She is pretty on the ball according to my sources and her number is 082 344 1497 - this goes through to her office number I believe. I didnt use her but have friends who did and they have been more than happy.

Your documents are the thing to move on. Without them you are not able to do anything. So before the holiday in Port Alfred I suggest that you make a start and ensure you have all the unabridged ones you need, birth, marriage etc. Good luck with the house - I believe things are really tough in the property market right now. Nevertheless - hang in there and get here!

Pat

Hi Pat,

I am about to embark on the container quotation search process etc and I will contact Carol. Thanks for that!

Hi Pat,

I am about to embark on the container quotation search process etc and I will contact Carol. Thanks for that!

Hi Wouter

We are using Magna Movers as they were recommended by our immigration agent. We didn't get any other quotes although we called Biddulphs but they took five days to return our call so we wrote them off. So far so good with Magna although, of course, they haven't actually shipped anything for us yet. But another contact if you are interested ...

Regards

JulieK

Return Job offer .......................................................... 5 December 2007

See RSA financial advisor ............................................ 5 December 2007

Holiday in Port Alfred ................................................... staying at home and spending money wisely

Documentation requested via bunnyhop........................... 5 December 2007

Immigration Agent appointed ......................................... 06 December 2007

now the fun starts.

House on the market ..................................................... 06 december 2007

2. documents , documents

3. rental areas in Melbourne ( domain.com.au )

7. Bank research

Hi

Just a thought ... don't forget to take 3 months bank statements certified copies as you may need them the other end and also get a no claim bonus certificate from your insurers as well as your international drivers' licence. Read all the communications that have been posted on the money forum and that may help with any queries re getting your money out and tax clearances etc. Also adviseable to get doctors reports to bring medical practitioners on the other end up to speed with your health status.

Hope that helps your 'to do' list.

JulieK

• 1 month later...

So the house is in the market, the cars are being sold, moving companies selected and now we wait for medicals and the visas to be granted - EISH it takes so long.