Ethical Dilemma

Cindylou

Hi All

I discussed this a bit at the Gauteng Coffee Club yesterday and was quite surprised by the responses I received. Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out here and see how other people feel.

I'm presently employed and not actively looking for work but I was contacted by a company and asked to go for a job interview next week for a position in Sandton. The dilemma is this: I have already lodged our PR application, which we know will not be assessed until early next year. Do I tell my prospective employer or do I keep shtum?

:blush: (australian wannabie in disguise)

(I think I've made up my mind, so I'm not looking for advice, just seeing if this could spark a debate) :ilikeit:

Cindylou

We told my dh's prospective employer in Australia that we were planning on submitting an application - they regarded that as a very positive thing.

However, if we it were a job in SA, then I don't think we would have been quite so forthcoming!

If the job offers more income, then go for it, say nothing and save, save, save!

Sorry DD - I realise I wasn't very clear, so have edited the post. I am currently working in SA and the company that contacted me (although multinational) is interviewing me for a position in SA. No Aus connection.

Cheers,

C'lou

If the new job gives you a decent increase, keep quiet & go for it, you will need all the money you can get now once you arrive. Just ensure that you are not tied in by any contract at your new work.

Guest Larry

I was in almost the same position before I left SA for New Zealand. - I had already been notified that New Zealand had approved my Permanent Residency application when I was called by the MD of a company that I had been "making noises" of joining and asked when I was going to start.

I was up-front about it and told him that I had been accepted as a permanent resident into NZ and that I needed to visit NZ before the end of the year otherwise my visa would expire. He offered me the job anyway!

At the end of the year, I applied for leave to go on holiday to NZ. The MD asked "I suppose you'll look for a job while you are there.". I replied "I am going such a long way, I would be stupid not to." He replied "I hope you don't find one. :ilikeit:"

I did find a job, came back to SA to resign and the rest is history.

Edited by Larry