CO ED OR NOT??

Smartie

Hi all,

My 13 year old this morning asked me if I would put her into a co-ed school or an all girls school when we get to Oz. I had not even thought of that so does any one have any views on this matter?

Currently she is in a private co-ed catholic school. When we get to Oz which should hopefully be by the end of next year we will certainly not be able to afford private schooling.

Thanks

Smartie

Hi all,

My 13 year old this morning asked me if I would put her into a co-ed school or an all girls school when we get to Oz. I had not even thought of that so does any one have any views on this matter?

Currently she is in a private co-ed catholic school. When we get to Oz which should hopefully be by the end of next year we will certainly not be able to afford private schooling.

Thanks

Smartie

I went to a girls-only school, but both my husband and I are very pro-coed. When our daughter (2) reaches school age, hopefully we will be in Au and we will send her to a coed school. Even thought I had a wonderful schooling in a girls-only school, I had the benefit of a brother. I know too many women who went to school with me, who in their 30's STILL have absolutely no idea how to even have a conversation with a man without giggling and behaving like a school-girl. All of these women did not have the benefit of brothers (and their friends) and almost grew up in a bubble. I firmly believe that they somehow missed out on a crucial stage of social development. Sorry, this is not meant to offend anyone, it is just one of my observations.

I want my daughter to learn how to deal with boys/men from the word go! School is supposed to prepare you for Adult Life - I think single-sex schools miss out on important social integration aspects of the two sexes.

Unfortunately for those wanting single gender schools, just about all the state schools are co-ed and only a few very expensive private schools are single gender schools.

Not too much of a choice if you cant afford the private schools.

I also went to a all girls schools and, for the same reasons as Gizmo, want my daughter to attend a co-ed school. Although in my case we used to join up with the all boys school next door when competing with other co-ed schools & it helped a bit.

I also went to a all girls schools and, for the same reasons as Gizmo, want my daughter to attend a co-ed school. Although in my case we used to join up with the all boys school next door when competing with other co-ed schools & it helped a bit.

You didn't perchance go to Wynberg did you? :ilikeit:

I think all government/public schools are co ed. You will have to go private if you want all girls.

As far as the other comments go about which is better. There is no rule/generalisation - it depends entirely on your child and their personality type.

Great if you can give them what is best suited for them.

Hi all,

Thanks

Smartie

Hi,

This is my view as a result of first hand experience.

Currently my daughter is in a private co-ed school here in SA. In my opinion it has been the worst decision and experience ever. The distractions are numerous as a result of both boys and girls wanting to impress. This has become even more evident in high school. The teachers, some very young and only having young children / babies or old and not having any children of their own, do not have a clue how to handle this generation and I for one believe that the way to go is to keep them apart.

I saw in Sydney that most schools are co-ed but there is a great private Catholic girls school at the top of Mona Vale road on the way to Belrose. My sisters twin girls will go there from 2009. They wrote entrance exams and were immediately accepted.

Good luck with your decision.

Craig

Hi All,

Although I am nowhere near having children :thumbdown: , I always find the topic of co-ed vs gender only schools very interesting :thumbdown: .

I for one believe that the way to go is to keep them apart.

I totally agree with the way you are thinking!!!

I had the benefit of a brother.

I attended a girls-only school without having a brother and I am perfectly fine! I've always had a wonderful relationship with father and I think that helped me a lot!

If I ever have a choice, I would most definitely go the gender-only route! Only my 2c though!

Good luck with your research and your decision!

Lovies, Pippa! X

I'm definitely of the view that co-ed schooling is more natural and normal, particularly in families with single-sex kids. I have a funny theory here - I think its even more important in primary school than in high school. That way girls and boys are used to relating to each other as friends, as equals, before all the hormones kick in when they're teenagers. As someone said, I was at school with far too many girls who struggled to communicate without flirting getting a hopeless case of the giggles. At university/tech we are all mixed together, and the same in the workplace, and is school not preparation for the 'real world'?

I personally went to all-girls schools, a mix of private and public, and while I still got a great education I still believe a co-ed school would have been better. My schools also female staff only - I'm sure I would have had more confidence standing up to my first male boss in the workplace if I'd been used to males (other than family) in authority!!

The good news is there is another option here for those who feel single-sex schooling is more their thing - the catholic private schools are far more affordable and fees can be around $1,500 per child per year, and most of the high schools are single sex (in our area of Brisbane at least), although the primary schools are often co-ed. You don't HAVE to be catholic to be accepted, they take an intake of non-catholic students every year, but it helps to get you higher on the waiting list. All the aussies I've met have chosen this route for high school for their kids, and not one of the families is catholic (and neither am I, in case it looks like I'm pushing the catholic church!)

Good luck finding a school you like!

Clare

Hi there

Smartie I don't know where you are heading but there are some great Catholic Schools in Sydney which fall under the independant system, the fees are around $2700 for the year in primary school. The high schools like the one Craig was talking about are about $6000 per year. The particular school Craig is talking about has a brilliant name but is girls only. The Catholic primary school my son goes to is Co -Ed. The Catholic High Schools seem to be girls or boys only.

We are not Catholic put we were accepted without a problem but some of the more elite Catholic High Schools are more strict example Riverview.

My hubby went to a all boys school all his life (he did have a sister) but he said he would never put our boys into a all boys school. I think alot depends on your children. I do think that co-ed is the way to go for primary though and then for high school you can access the needs of your children.

There are lots of different options you have just got to find them.

Good Luck

I don't have kids yet but I have taught for 7 years....

I believe whole-heartedly that primary schools should be co-ed in order for children of the opposite sex to learn to communicate and interact appropriately. I do believe that once your children are ready for high school the choice is dependant on their personalities, I would prefer my (future) children to go to single sex high schools but if it wouldn't suit their needs I would put them in a co-ed school.

Just my 2c!

Thanks to all.

Gotta agree with Craig though, my daughter is currently in a private co-ed school in SA (Grade 8) and yes the boy/girl thing is a huge problem.

Especially when the girls are teased by the whole school for supposedly liking a "geek". Its a huge thing in a 13years old life. However my daughter is also worried about all the "bitchiness" in an all girls school. I am hoping that in Oz there will not be so much "social pressure re status etc" and the kids can just be kids. Here is SA I just think money matters too much.