Moving from Durban to Adelaide

Julie K

Hi everyone

Boy am I glad I found this website. My hubby and I are moving to Adelaide early Feb. We have never been to Oz before and have no family or friends there (well we have one friend in Queensland). I was starting to feel so displaced already but now I have found this community I feel much more secure.

I am sure I am going to have questions so will be logging on regularly. I really enjoy all the things you post on this site. Everything is so useful and I have picked up lots of tips already.

bye for now.

Welcome Julie! I am also fairly new to this forum, and have already found it very useful. We are also planning to move to Adelaide early next year, probably around February. Enjoy the last few hectic months packing and sorting out all the arrangements.

You'll find one or two others shifting to Adelaide, Julie.

Personally, I live just outside Adelaide up in the Adelaide hills area immediately to the east of the city on the way to Melbourne (which is 750 kms away!)

So! What are you planning on doing in this part of Australia and where do you intend to live?

You'll find one or two others shifting to Adelaide, Julie.

Personally, I live just outside Adelaide up in the Adelaide hills area immediately to the east of the city on the way to Melbourne (which is 750 kms away!)

So! What are you planning on doing in this part of Australia and where do you intend to live?

Hi Bob

Nice to hear from you. What is it like there?

I am a clinical psychologist so I have to work in my field (groan!) full time for one year for one employer in order to apply for perm residence. I have just applied for registration with the South Aus Prof Board and it should be through in December. I don't have a job to go to and haven't looked for one this side although jobs do come through on the web. I thought it would be better to look for a job when I am there since we don't know yet where exactly we will be living. We will probably apply for Meet and Greet Housing to start. My hubby is a Marine Electrician. Are there many marinas there?

I really pray we won't have a problem finding work. I think that is the most anxiety-provoking part right now.

How long have you been over there?

Welcome Julie! I am also fairly new to this forum, and have already found it very useful. We are also planning to move to Adelaide early next year, probably around February. Enjoy the last few hectic months packing and sorting out all the arrangements.

Hi Renier

Good luck with your planned move. Hope to meet you there. I see your process has been quick as you have a job offer. Wonderful. What work do you do? I am a psychologist and my husband is a marine electrician. We haven't started looking for work yet. Too much to do this end. We will have to sort it all out when we arrive. Neither of us are on the careers in demand list so we figured we wouldn't go the route of getting a job and then getting a company sponsor us as we figured it would be quicker to just go the route of regional sponsorship. Boy, were we wrong about that. :rolleyes: Speak to you again soon hopefully.

First thing is don't worry.

In Australia, you won't be allowed to die of starvation.

There are heaps and heaps and heaps of jobs here.

There are marinas also.

I've lived in Adelaide most of my life. . . . lived in other States too, New Zealand and the U.K.

First thing is don't worry.

In Australia, you won't be allowed to die of starvation.

There are heaps and heaps and heaps of jobs here.

There are marinas also.

I've lived in Adelaide most of my life. . . . lived in other States too, New Zealand and the U.K.

Hi again

Silly me. I hadn't read your profile on the side which clearly shows you have been in Adelaide for ages.

What a relief to know there are heaps and heaps of jobs.

What do you like most about where you live?

Welkom Julie.

Hoop jy gaan sommer gou in 'click' :rolleyes:

Dan wil ek ook se sterkte met jul trek wat voorle en die bye se wat voorle.Ek hoop als werk vir jul volgens plan uit.

Groete Ursula.

Edited by Allie&Urs

Hi Julie K

Nothing to worry about Julie. Adelaide is a really nice place to live and work in (as are most of the Australian major cities).

The best time to try and find work is when you arrive in Adelaide for what should be obvious reasons. When you apply for a job you need to be available to attend interviews with either the employer or the recruitment company (or both). Prospective employers also like a degree of certainty about when you are available to commence work etc.

We have been in Adelaide for about five years now and will gladly help you if we can. Send me a PM if there is anything that we can do to help with the job hunting and settling in.

Enjoy!

regards

Manny

Hi Julie

I'm a navigator in the Air Force. I will be a ground instructor at a civilian flying training school in Adelaide, and we hope for the wife to stay at home as long as possible to look after our son (hopefully more to follow). Hope your plans work out quickly, see you that side.

Hi,

I am a teacher here in Adelaide.

Let me know what you'd like to find out about teaching/education and I'll do my best to chase up info for you.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Julie,

We also moved here to Adelaide from Durbs where we lived the last 4 years, well, more Pinetown in 2005 also without visiting Adelaide or Australia first for that matter. It is going to be fine, dont worry, there are quite a a few Saffers in Adelaide and plenty support of all kinds. I am sure you will fit into life in Australia very well, most do.

Good luck, please shout out if you need anything before, during or after landing. Byt vas !

Marius

Hi everyone

Boy am I glad I found this website. My hubby and I are moving to Adelaide early Feb. We have never been to Oz before and have no family or friends there (well we have one friend in Queensland). I was starting to feel so displaced already but now I have found this community I feel much more secure.

I am sure I am going to have questions so will be logging on regularly. I really enjoy all the things you post on this site. Everything is so useful and I have picked up lots of tips already.

bye for now.

Hi

We are also moving to Adelaide early Feb 2008 from PE. Also with no family or friends. You are right, this is the best website ever. I have recently joined the forum and since then received so many tips and questions answered.

Hope to see you in Adelaide

Buy

Elsabé :ilikeit:

Hi Julie K

Nothing to worry about Julie. Adelaide is a really nice place to live and work in (as are most of the Australian major cities).

The best time to try and find work is when you arrive in Adelaide for what should be obvious reasons. When you apply for a job you need to be available to attend interviews with either the employer or the recruitment company (or both). Prospective employers also like a degree of certainty about when you are available to commence work etc.

We have been in Adelaide for about five years now and will gladly help you if we can. Send me a PM if there is anything that we can do to help with the job hunting and settling in.

Enjoy!

regards

Manny

Thanks so much Mannie. Will def. call on you if I need to.

Glad to hear Adelaide is a really nice place. Can't believe how friendly everyone on this site is. Makes me think we have all become so insular living in South Africa. Am so looking forward to making new friends in Adelaide.

Bye for now

regards

Julie

Sheesh, is EVERYBODY moving to Adelaide now? What is it with you guys, do you have a HUGE magnet or something? Bob, Marius, Annette, you will have to stop bribing the Saffers with 'how lovely your city is'! JulieK, you will be in good hands!

Sheesh, is EVERYBODY moving to Adelaide now? What is it with you guys, do you have a HUGE magnet or something? Bob, Marius, Annette, you will have to stop bribing the Saffers with 'how lovely your city is'! JulieK, you will be in good hands!

LOL :)

Glad to hear I will be in good hands. Yes, maybe Bob, Marius, Annette should start marketing for the city of Adelaide! Or perhaps some already do get paid to do a good PR job. Only joking!

Hopefully, though, I will visit Melbourne one day soon as that was my first choice city. I would just love to see Melbourne and experience its offerings. My hubby wanted to end up on the Gold Coast but I had always dreamed of Melbourne. In the end, it is just as well that we are going somewhere we had never even considered. So the more I hear about how lovely Adelaide is the happier I feel. I just hope this city really does live up to the reputation that has been created for it. The driest place on the driest continent sure doesn't sound appealing and that's what many websites say about South Oz. Nice weather and great aesthetics are very important things to me so my fingers are crossed.

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Julie

Give us a shout (PM) when you get here, we will arrange a get-together. I remember Annette invited us to a barbie on our first weekend, and it was like a beacon of hope for me in my future! It is so hard getting on a plane and going somewhere where you know no-one and have no arrangements, friends, or family! Well, on that first weekend, they introduced us to others and it was a real-life saver, just getting info and tips from people. And now Annette is my buddy ! :) (Thank you Annette!).

Bob is also a sweetie, he even phoned our house in South Africa one day and chatted to us for about an hour, giving us all kinds of tips and help. (Thank you Bob!)

So, yes, we try to help one another out.

I think you will easily find work in the mental health field here. :ilikeit: Does your DH need to be near the sea to do his marine-thing? Have you thought about areas to settle in?

Regards, Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn