Reception year and Level 1

Karl and Nanette

I'm still a bit confused (nothing new! :ilikeit: ). Is Reception the first year of primary school (in the year they turn 5) and level 1 the second year of primary school (in the year they turn 6) etc?

Or is Reception and level 1 the same thing?

Thanks! :ilikeit: Nanette

"Reception class" is die voorskoolse klas, Graad 0 het hul dit ook in RSA genoem. Dit is die jaar direk voor Graad 1/ Year 1 (voor primere skool volwaardig begin). As ek dit reg het, dan word meeste kinders 6 in reception year en 7 in Year 1. Baie laerskole hier in Oz het 'n reception class.

Hoop dit klaar dinge effens op.

Groete,

Aneldari :huh:

Dit verskil van staat tot staat. In NSW is dit "Kindy" en in SA "reception". Die ouderdom kriteria verskil ook van staat tot staat.

Hi there

In Queensland kids go to big school for full-time 'Prep' in the year they turn 6, then start grade 1 in the year they turn 7. Before that they can go through a year's kindy, which is usually either 2 or 3 days a week.

Clare

My first post, although a member for ages so here goes...... To try and answer this and a previous post on how kindergarten works, I am no expert, but this is how I understand it to work in Adelaide.

Children go to Kindy when they are 4 (our kindy had 4 half day sessions, some have 2 half day and one full day). They are only allowed 4 terms so depending on the school you send them will depend on when they start Kindy. They also have pre-entry - a few hours once a week the term before they start Kindy 'full time'

If your child attends a state school - he/she starts Reception (Grade 0 equivalent) the term after they turn 5 which means some children only do 3 terms (minimum), some four, five or six depending which term they start. I think if they turn 5 in the first week of a term they are allowed to start that term. After Reception they still have 7 more years at primary school.

Some Independant schools only have one or two intakes ie. first and second term. Each school probably has their own cut off but at the school my children attend they only have 2 intakes and children need to turn 5 by last day of Feb to start term 1 and 5 by last day of July to start term 2.

Something to bear in mind - if you go the Independant route and have a second term starter then your child may only have 3 terms of Reception and Kindy - generally they have to be 4 before they go to kindy.

Hope all this makes sense!

Edited by Fuzzylogic

Hey there! Thanks so much for clarifying. I find the multiple intakes extremely interesting :) and confusing!

Does this only apply to kindi and reception? Not from level 1-7? Is this a normal Jan- Dec set up?

What do working moms do with kids in kindi only going two/three times a week?

Thanks a mill!

Nanette :huh:

Hi Nanette

Will try and clarify for you: School Year is from Jan to Dec - made up of 4 terms.

Basically your child can start kindy any term in the year as long as they are already 4 if memory serves me correct they can do pre-entry if turning 4 in that term. )

They will do 4 terms of kindy and go on to Reception, maybe have an 'odd' number of terms and then do full years at the other levels. Example

If start kindy in Term 1 2007 then start Reception Term 1 2008 do 4 terms and go to Year 1 Term 1 2009

If start kindy in Term 2 2007 then start Reception Term 2 2008 do 3 terms and go to Year 1 Term 1 2009

If start kindy in Term 3 2007 then start Reception Term 3 2008 do 5 terms and tg to Year 1 Term 1 2010

If start kindy in Term 4 2007 then start Reception Term 4 2008 do 6 terms and go to Year 1 Term 1 2010

Note this will only be for schools that have 4 intakes in the year.

As for how families cope if both parents work, I do not have first hand experience as I was fortunate enough to stay home (having said that I still found the hours frustrating), but families seem to manage using family day care or grandparents (which most of us won't have the luxury of) etc.

Is this any clearer? Hope so!

Edited by Fuzzylogic

Hi Fuzzy

Thanks, it all makes sense now! :rolleyes: I will have to look into daycare, as I will be working full time (visa requirements).

Cheers!

Nanette