the "Top End"

Bob

When Ginnie and I trekked further north out of Alice springs in late July, the nights were still cold. Once we got to Tennant Creek and further north off came the doona at night and we slept under just a sheet and blanket in the middle of winter-time. But then again we were way up in the tropics!

As you get close to Darwin, the capital city of the Northern Territory, there is a wonderful national park run by the Australian Commonwealth gov't called "Kakadu"

It was a number of old cattle stations that the Commonwealth bought out in the early 1980s and eventually became a World Heritage Area listed by the United Nations.

We swam in this tropical pool by Gunlom Falls

KakaduGunlom6.jpg

climbing up the steep pathway were a series of small pools at the top which you could also swim in.

This shot is from the top looking down on the pool we'd swum in earlier at the base of the falls

KakaduGunlom22.jpg

The tracks can get a bit rough in places, this one on the way to a little swimming hole that we heard of a few miles from our camping spot.

Molinepool46.jpg

We were a bit tentative about swimming in a hole where there could be crocs cos they do walk across country in search of pools just like this!

Molinepool1.jpg

next day saw us camped in a spot called "Yellow Waters" where we took a boat ride out on the wetlands of Kakadu

Kakaduyellowriver53.jpg

Kakaduyellowriver58.jpg

Sunset over the wetlands was magic! I had to capture this one as best I could.

Kakaduyellowriver64.jpg

On the way to Darwin out of Kakadu, we took a look at some old Aboriginal rock art. Some were older than 20 000 years. When you imagine that our European ancestors were living in caves at the time, this is remarkable

KakaduUrbirrrockart16.jpg

Darwin is a vibrant growing city which caters especially for young folk and families . . . a great place to bring kids up in and enjoy a great lifestyle. Too bad it's not even on the radar screen for most South Africans contemplating coming to Australia

Enjoying a coffee by the wharf at sunset

Darwinwarf3.jpg

My wife's cousin got married in 1972 in South Australia and just headed north after their wedding. They ended up in Darwin and never came back. Thier latest lifestyle is one of living on a yacht in the marina there.

Darwinlaunch8.jpg

Darwin from the harbour

Darwinlaunch26.jpg

You'll find the lifestyle captivating up in Australia's tropics as loads of young folk find out for themselves

Here is Mindil Beach, a suburb of Darwin, towards sunset and after

Darwinsunset1.jpg

Darwinsunset2.jpg

Darwinsunset4.jpg

An hour's drive out of Darwin are hot springs and beautiful swimming holes that are free of crocs. This one is at Berry Springs

Berrysprings13.jpg

Berrysprings19.jpg

Half a day's drive out, you can come across Lichfield Nat. Park. Here are two water holes

Wangi Falls where we could swim out to the base of the falls, crystal clear water

LitchfieldWangi1.jpg

Florence Falls in Lichfield Nat Park. Can you see the swimmers down below?

LitchfieldFlorencefalls3.jpg

Eventually we headed west toward Western Australia. on the way we came across our first Boab tree (they're called "Boabab" trees in South Africa) since I last saw one in 1985 at Victoria Falls in Rhodesia / Zimbabwe. We knew it was a Boab tree cos it still had the same kind of lettering on it just like the one at Vic Falls!

victoriarivercountry15.jpg

We say farewell to the Territory, a territory the size of South Africa with only 250 000 people living in it.

victoriarivercountry18.jpg

and hullo to the next 11 000 kms of Australia in W.A., a State over twice the size of South Africa with only a couple of million Australians in it . . . . plenty of room for a South African or three :ilikeit:

victoriarivercountry20.jpg

Edited by Bob

Bob!

You treasure, you!

Of course I haven't had time to get to Darwin yet, but this makes me even more keen now. Yes, Saffers must really consider the NT as an option. The outdoors and lifestyle are SO similar to what we're used to.

Great pics!

Seems as if someone somewhere is trying to get a dam put in above Alice; now wouldn't THAT be a great attraction! And then a wave machine was mentioned too....but then it IS election time!

I went up in a little string-and-elastic-band plane yesterday (Cessna something or other!). The Alice Springs Aero Club had an open morning; brekky and flips, and I was once again stunned at the stark beauty of the landscape here. The colour of that red sand is quite something.

(did I just write "brekky" there? Uh oh, I'm morphing I think...)

Thanks for inspiring me to complete my afternoon!

Tracy

Bob,

I agree with Tracy, you'r GREAT!! Thank you for sharing your experience of this FABULOUS country you call home, and now us!!

Hubby and I love the tropics and will surely travel that way as opportunity arrises. Met some Aussies in Seychelles that came from Darwin, good people.

So much to see, we'll try our best!!

Tracy, Des loves Alice he also says it has something special!

Lovies

N

Thanks Bob, that was enlightening..made me want to see more of OZ. Lovely pictures, must have been a great holiday. Thanks again, for sharing.

Regards,

KD.

Hey Fellow Forumites....

I vote Bob takes ALL of us on a guided tour of Aus - what a blast THAT would be!

Hey Fellow Forumites....

I vote Bob takes ALL of us on a guided tour of Aus - what a blast THAT would be!

I agree! When can we do a tag-along up North?..... Those pics are fabulous and I can't wait to get there myself.

Just a question: how do you know which waterholes are free of crocs?? Do they have signs up or is it a case of "see for yourself"?..... :D I'd love to cool off in all of those beautiful spots but I'm not planning on being dinner!! :ilikeit: Call me blonde, but do the crocs stay close to or in the water all the time? What are the chances off stepping on one on your way to a waterhole??... :D

Hey Fellow Forumites....

Well???

I agree! When can we do a tag-along up North?..... Those pics are fabulous and I can't wait to get there myself.

Just a question: how do you know which waterholes are free of crocs?? Do they have signs up or is it a case of "see for yourself"?..... :ilikeit: I'd love to cool off in all of those beautiful spots but I'm not planning on being dinner!! :ilikeit: Call me blonde, but do the crocs stay close to or in the water all the time? What are the chances off stepping on one on your way to a waterhole??... :D

Riekie,

it's pretty much a case of finding out from the locals what water-holes are safe to swim in and what water-holes the crocs live in at breakfast time.

I swam in the Roper River at Mataranka where crocs were in the river, but they were only the freshwater Johnson's crocodiles . . . the ones that don't eat us!

It's the Estuarine or "Salt-Water" crocs that grow to enormous size and will have us for breakfast without even blinking an eyelash.

They inhabit the sea up in the tropics and the inland river systems up to 200 kms inland, so they are quite able to live in fresh water too.

You gotta be careful and don't take too many dumb risks. They can walk overland in search of new water holes, so it's a bit tricky at times figuring out what's alright and what's not.

The main thing is not to camp within 300 / 400 metres of a waterway (river, creek, etc.)

Thanks for the pics Bob!

We live in North WA, as desolate and beautiful as your pics.

Just a down the road (140km!) is a great fishing spot where the local fishing crew are having a little competition this weekend, we'll pop along to see the action but we were kindly reminded not to bring the dog, as they are not keen on feeding the crocs with domestic animals and they are sure he would not last along the banks of a croc infested river. A day in the life.....

Scary stuff!! 300 - 400 km's!!! :angry: I think I'll opt for the "safe" option and go with a "pro"..... :D:huh:

• 1 month later...
Scary stuff!! 300 - 400 km's!!! :blink: I think I'll opt for the "safe" option and go with a "pro"..... :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Rieks, I think that's 300-400 metres, not kilometres. But yes, scary stuff!

Regards,

Scott