Gardening

Retha_hhr

I am somebody that loves gardening. I do not want a big garden in Australia, just one that after I'm done cleaning, I still have time to do other things. Taking in to consideration the drought and everything, I thought to look for native plants that can be used in the garden or then non-native that will not damage the environment. One of the things I read on the Internet while searching and it makes totally sense to me is:

"Extensive clearing of native trees is making Australian droughts hotter and is an under-recognised factor in climate change".

Here is a website I found that tell a bit about gardening. http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1386723.htm

I see they are talking about a botanic garden in Melbourne ( http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1896177.htm ). Mara or anybody else in Melbourne, if you guys one day visit this garden, can you place some pictures from areas in that garden that you think can be grown in a residential garden, then it would be wonderful. It would also be nice to here from people in other parts of the country who can for example give the names of a nursery that sells native plants in your city/town and if you have seen a display of these plants in a public garden, to put a picture on the message board so that we can see how the plants are put together to make the wonderful display. Also, I would prefer the regular names of the plants, I cannot even pronounce the scientific names of some of these plants.

They talked in the Melbourne article about 3 plants which can be planted in the same flowerbed, the only one which scientific name I recognized,was the strelitzia :ilikeit: . Here are the pictures of the 3 and it looks like it can look great together, I am just not a big fan of the Echeveria, but maybe small amounts of it will just bring the different kind of leave or form into the picture to actually complement it:

Helictotrichon sempervirens (blue oat grass):

Echeveria:

Strelitzia juncea (kraanvoel blom):

I am at this point looking for a tree that I can put in my back and front yard. Because the lots are small, it must be a tree that wiil not grow higher than 3 to 5 meters and will not spread more than 3 meters. I have seen a tree here in Canada that is wonderful for small spaces. It is the Swedish Aspen. I still need to read up on them to see if they are drought resistant. It has a columnar form, so no spreading, but still a tree.

I also found this website: http://www.nativegrowth.com.au/

Another great looking website for gardening designs with Australian plants: http://asgap.org.au/design/gdnews1a.html

Regards,

Retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Hi Retha,

What about a lemon tree? In the past I always had a lemon tree..something about picking your own lemons and using it. Even just like it is with a salt pot in the one hand...brrrr..njam!

Plant it in a nice big pot so that you can move it around to your liking.

regards,

KD.

Edited by Kannidood

The botanic gardens in Melbourne are very nice. Would be easy to make a very nice garden anywhere in Australia. I was quite surprised finding lots of familiar plants and trees everywhere in the suburbs! PM me for pics from the botanic gardens in Melbourne.

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Retha

There is a TV program here based on a magazine called 'Better Homes & Gardens'. It is really interesting and informative, and has a slot about gardening, pets, cooking, home renovations, etc. I have been meaning to look at their website because they often recommend drought-resistant native plants, and I never hear the names properly or write them down. Each Australia region will have it's own specific native plants.

Here is the gardening section of their site, but it is all interesting!

http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/better-homes-gar...gory/gardening/

Have fun! I'm also looking forward to getting into my own (tiny) garden again soon! It has a lime tree in one corner and a lemon tree in the other, and not much else... :ilikeit:

Bronwyn

Retha,

have you landed on your feet, or what??

If you're coming to Adelaide, my wife is a dead keen gardener with loads and loads of natives all around the house.

Every time she went and did the weekly groceries she'd come home a bit sheepish. I knew she'd got another plant from the supermarket. It got to be something of a joke in our household.

Basically, if you can eat it, I grow it.

If you can't eat it, Ginnie grows it.

She loves her wild flowers so much so, that when we were in the top end of Western Australia, she'd sing out every couple of kms for me to pull over. :ilikeit:

Yup . . . . another piccie of some more wild flowers!!

Western Australia has more different species of wildflowers than any other place on Earth.

Spring-time is a must to see the Wildflowers if you are into natives.

Thank you guys, I will take note of all suggestions and extra reading material. It will keep me busy for a while. I ant to have my list of plants ready for one day when I have my Aussie garden.

I am in love with the grass trees here in WA. ( used to be called black boys and I am sure with a bit of imagination you will see why).

Xanthorrhoea species (Grass Tree)

I also noticed that you can buy local wildflower seeds at bunnings and that gives you instructions as well as to soil depth, soil preverences, watering guidelines etc.

Here are also a few Cycads available ( broodbome in suid afrika)

Bottle brush (Callistemon citrinus) is also a native plant found in South african gardens.

Oh and dont forget your cangaroo paw.... I found a black one in the veldt the other day apparently very special to find a black one

Also some banksia species are found in south africa as well as in WA...

Are these also found in Melbourne?

Does anyone know whether you can grow fuscias here? I need to grow a very big one that can cover my house. :whome:

Bronwyn, why....? (I must come and have a LSD) KD. :o

Hi Everyone, good to see we got some gardeners here. I am very into gardening and also belong to another forum www.aussieslivingsimply. com.au Please check it out.

Good question KD either her house is very small as fuscias can't very big, mostly they come in hanging baskets or a med size bush. What species is it Bronwyn? :)

It is wonderful reading about all the keen gardeners! It took my eyes a few years to really see the beauty of all the natives. We did try to have a nice green lawn (like in SA!) but with water restrictions and grass beetles we lost the battle. Ripped up the front lawn a year ago and went wild with the natives .... what a delight, now we not only have beautiful flowers but also birds, lizards and frogs visiting regularly.

Guest Bronwyn

My new house is quite small and very ugly from the street. :) I am not one of the 2% that found a pretty house in Aus, sorry! :( It's main features are dark face brick, a yellow porch lamp and a flat roof. It's sunk into the hill so it looks about 1m high.

We get the keys today, yay! :D

If it's not a fuscia I am thinking of, what do you call those colourfull bushes they grow in PTA? pink, orange, purple? They can grow huge, up to many metres. I am no gardener yet, sorry! :ilikeit:

Hi Bron,

Purple Rain, Golden Shower, Bougainvilleas and perhaps Honeysuckle? Even Star jasmine. Lovely.

xxxxKD.

Edited by Kannidood

Hi Bronwyn

Congratulations on the house - ugly or not, it is yours!!

Not sure which bush you are referring to, but here in OZ a bougainvillea would be a great bet.

Hi Bronwyn

Congratulations on the house - ugly or not, it is yours!!

Not sure which bush you are referring to, but here in OZ a bougainvillea would be a great bet.

We are still staying in a holiday unit- no house yet- but I cant wait to get my fingernails dirty again!!!

My office is based next to the mines rehab nursery. It is amazing to see all the farmers working for the mine harvesting seed, mulching, washing and treating it to increase fermentation and then how lovingly these robust creatures plant the seeds into pots and nurturing it into beautiful seedlings....I am falling more and more in love with western Australia, and her people, by the day. I started wandering from my office into the nursery and talked to the chaps about the native plants. They are so proud of the environment and so proud of each seedling it is amazing! They promised to teach me more over time and I am loving it! They really enjoy their work and all the love and sweat they are putting into it is paying off.

Hi All

Great to be able to discuss & get input on my more important interests.

I have a small cycad collection and have been considering whether I should bring it with - nothing on the CITES prohibition list.

Although Aus seems to be quite strict on the importation of plant material, per my research to date, it seems that it wouldn't be such a schlep to to bring them with.

As we (in SA) have to licence "possesion" of all cycads, from Feb this year, (as opposed to the previously required transportation permits)proving legitimate ownership wont be a problem & they are listed on the allowed import plants for Victoria

I thought that I would just remove all soil & leaves & transport in the container with my household goods (with the required certificates)

Have any of you done this or got any knowledge on taking cycads with?

Also, there seems to be an interest in "cycas" palms in Australia, from what I seen on the net, with especially one very large nursery, but not too much african "cycad" - do any of you have?

All input appreciated

Jan