Value of an Agent??

Octavius

Hi

I have noticed most of the people in the PR process use immigration agents. What value do they add to the process? Maybe I'm missing something but the Oz website is quite helpful. This Website has also been very helpful in my application process so far :rolleyes: . I believe these people charge in excess of R20 000. I cannot see myself paying that amount of money for somebody to fill in forms (if that's all they do). I am about to submit my 136 PR, and maybe my troubles only start now, but so far the running around getting the paperwork ready has not been worth R+20 000. Also, I have heard that they cannot improve your chances of success or shorten the timeline as they have no influence at Governmental levels.

Please let me know if I'm missing something, I don't want to get caught with my pants down :ilikeit: .

Regards

Tjaart

Guest Jules

Hi Tjaart,

We submitted everything without an agent (136 visa) and didn't have any problems. I agree with what you say, the DIMIA website has a lot of information on it, including the booklets. Of course the forum is very helpful too, pity I discovered the forums when we were already here.

Obviously it depends on each persons individual circumstances but I would certainly say that if you feel your own case is straightforward and are happy that you have satisfactoraly answered all the questions and supplied all the supporting documentation then you should be ok.

There are no guarantees of success with or without an agent and having an agent will not speed up your application. If you are 100% sure that everything is filled in as it should be and that you have a straightforward case then I am sure you will be fine.

Hope this helps

Julie :rolleyes:

Hi Tjaart,

We used a migration agent, because we thought we wanted to improve our chances. Not because we would get any preferential treatment but we thought their expertise and skills would ensure that our docs and application is submitted on time ensuring that all requirements are met.

We were very busy at the time we contemplated the move and thought that with an agent we'll be spared most of the schlepp. Anyway in hindsight it was a total waste of money. You still have to get all your paperwork ready for them - they just checked it and sent it off. The frustration with dealing with the agents (who were all over us like a cheap suit until we paid the first installment, and were essentially locked in) and some of their incompetent and untrustwothy staff just added to our stress. Our's was not a very complicated case, and we could have used all that money after arriving here - believe me that's when you need it most.

We used Network Migration Services in Bryanston about 2,5 years ago. I'd advise you to stay away from them, since they just didn't add much value for the amount paid to them. Go for it alone if yours is not a very complicated case.

Anti agent BUG

Edited by chatterbug

Hi

Thanks for the replies, my father told me he will fill in the forms for me for R10 000, after I told him about the costs :rolleyes: . I just thought there might be something I overlooked but it seems not to be the case.

Thanks again.

Regards

Tjaart

Hi Tjaart

We're using an agent (based in Perth) who came highly recommended. To date he has been tremendous, and everything has gone smoothly. The immi site is fantastic, and I suppose I could have done the work myself - when I was in Perth I visited with another agent whom I had to tell how I could qualify! Didn't return her call after that.

Our reasons for using an agent: I'll be 39 this year (v old lady), our points are borderline, we are not married and we needed family sponsorship. I just wanted to make sure that we did everything correctly the first time, as we are running out of time and won't get a second chance. Some tricky areas my agent helped with - skills assessment (mine are varied, so how to choose, assessment criteria etc.), proof of the de facto nature of our relationship, assessment of the sponsor's eligibility, requirements regarding the letter from my employers (he edited it for us and the employer signed the edited version) and assistance with gathering paperwork from Australian family.

For us it wasn't merely a matter of "filing in the forms" and so we used an agent. If our application was more straightforward and we had more time I would have done it myself, as it is I don't regret using an agent.

Cindylou

Guest colton

We are also using an agent and she has been tremendous! I agree with Cindylou our agent also typed out all drafts of letters etc needed, including our very discriptive TRA application. The TRA in itself was worth all the money as it can be quite a mission depending on your trade. We are applying for a 136 visa and when I first contacted her she refused to take on our case until she had seen our info. because she only accepts cases that would get through. She is very honest and even turned down a friend whom she says has slim chance of getting accepted.

I will often phone her re queries and her attitude is she is working for me so I can get in contact with her any time day or night. Even now when my husband has been offered the opportunity of going over on a 457 visa she has been very supportive. I thought her attitude might change but it hasn't. Her fees are approx. R5000 less than network migration as well.

I am very glad to be using her, in our case it is money worth spending. My husband is 45 this year so we need to get it right first time. I think she has managed to get things moving quicker because since we started the process in Feb. 2006 our TRA is done, all documentation is collected, only IELTS, medicals and police clearances needed which we have been told to hang on for a while, and application has been checked and submitted. For us using an agent was a good thing.

Tjaart,

We did everything ourselves, also have 136 visums. With the documentation on the DIMIA site and help from sites like these it was smooth sailing. It takes a bit of time but it is managable.

Scheeez guys

From reading about some of the service you received ...I'm more convinced that we have not received the service that we deserved. The director/owner of our agency was quite knowledgable and good up front and during our initial "free" consultation we thought it would be a walk in the park - the way he was talking it up.

Thereafter it all went downhill, and yes we were "desperate" and had to stick it out with them cause I also had a age deadline, so we had to make it work, mostly through our own "vasbyt" and not to miss the opportunity (I had to do so much more than I thought in the end). We weren't even able to secure a meeting with him to discuss our misgivings - he's a very slippery man.

Anyway there was one very competent lady at the agency who we clinged to for dear life, and if it wasn't for her we would have been worse off, and we would not have tolerated the situation in the end. She was obviously grossly overworked and visibly stressed (I think everybody was asking for her in particular) and left the agency just before our visa came through, which made us very nervous to the end.

But is all water under the bridge and we are here now. I guess what I'm saying is that using an agent is not a panacea! You still have to make it work in the end. Don't get me wrong they did help us in many ways, but it was not worth their fee in the end, not by a long way!

Be vigilant there are many "fly-by-night's" out there - I've heard some horror stories far worse than ours. I think we should mention the good ones on this site and shame those who are not doing what they should.

Colton I think your agent deserves a mention - maybe others can also benefit from her expertise and work ethic. C'lou are you OK to name your agent ( the good one!)

Chat soon

C'bug

Guest colton

No problem. I must say I had also heard of some dreadful horror stories and so contacted the australian embassy direct and asked who they would recommend. I too was scared of all those fly-by-night people. :D

They gave me her name: DAWN RAPHAELY with Ashmore Brown. She has been super super. :ph34r: As an example she is currently in USA because her daughter has just given birth, but she is in constant contact via email and if her office can't help she emails me direct with any queries or concerns. She phones into the office every two days and still is busy that side during her "holiday". I think the difference is that she ONLY deals with australian immigration.

Hope this helps but I do agree if you are confident and your application is straightforward, forums like this make it easy to do yourself. Keep up the good work guys :( Even though we have an agent I find things on this forum which are a concern to me, my situation, and then I bring it up with her and she explains how it affects my application/situation.

I agree that you do not need an agent, however, if you have a tricky application and you can justify paying someone to negotiate the hurdles for you then you need to be sure that the agent you employ (deliberate use of the word) is going to do a good job! We chose our agent based on a friend's recommendation and the vibe we got when we met him.

His details are

Andrew J Emmott

Director

Advance Australia Visas Pty Ltd

Suite 4, 82 Reserve Street (Cnr Flynn Street)

Wembley, Western Australia 6014

Tel: 08 9387 1033

Fax: 08 9387 1055

Email: andrew@aavisas.com.au

The first (dim) agent was also a (partial) recommendation, but we were just not impressed, her body language was off, she took v few notes, gave me some incorrect info and finally I had to tell her how I could get additional points! (The fact that she took weeks to answer my first email should have warned me off)

As with so much on this forum, it’s a personal decision for each of us

C'Lou