Age, Year?

Heymanse

I know that this has been discussed on the forum before, but I am still a bit worried and those of you whose kids are already in school in Oz will, I'm sure, be able to help me. :lol:

I've heard (can't remember where) that kids sometimes get tested beforehand to ascertain in which Year/Grade they should be placed in. If that is the case, no worries. If not, my worry is the following:

My son, who just turned 12 is currently in Grade 5 in SA. I've kept him a year back, because his birthday is so late in the year. I've read up on the topic on the forum and according to what I've read, normally the kids move the the next year in Oz, i.e. Grade 5 in SA/Year 6 in Oz. So then when my son is in Grade 6 next year and we immigrate he will be going to Year 7 in Oz (which is not so bad)? However, I've kept my son a year back, will that mean then that he is suppose to go to Year 8 (high school) next year.

I really can't see that happening :( , he is certainly not ready for high school. Is there anyone that had a similar situation and what was the turnout. Do they perhaps also take into account the fact that his birthday is so late in the year?

Hi there

I am not in Aus yet, but I know exactly how you feel - I have a 12 year old son - turning 13 in January 2008. We arrive in Aus next week. My son is currently in Grade 6 here in SA, and I've been told by the schools over there that he should go into Year 8, which is High School :lol: . I don't really want to keep him back because he is already a year older than most kids in his grade (he turned 7 in the January he started grade 1) - I'm very worried about him skipping Grade 7 and going into High School next year. Particularly because he is a quiet, shy child. I will let you know how it goes, and I'm interested to hear other peoples views on this.....

Regards,

Mary

If you're heading for South Australia, (next year) i suggest that you enroll him in year 7 on arrival ASAP.

Then, ask for an interview with the school principal, state your case anf i'm sure you will will be granted permission that your son repeat Yr 7 in 2009. It may be a goood uidea to raise this issue during the enrollment meeting with the principal already.

However, keep in mind that they try to keep an age-apprpriate level in each year group.

My youngest son was a year older that his peers because of similar consideration as yours and he was OK.

Dax

Edited by Dax

Mary, thank you and keep me informed of what they say and how your son adapts. Although my son is not shy or quiet, I don't think that he is mentally fit to go to Grade 8, but please keep me informed.

Dax, thanks for the advice. I also thought of discussing the issue with the principal once we are there - I'm holding thumbs that he will see it fit that my son do Grade 7 next year and see how he progresses before advancing him to Grade 8.

Mary, thank you and keep me informed of what they say and how your son adapts. Although my son is not shy or quiet, I don't think that he is mentally fit to go to Grade 8, but please keep me informed.

Dax, thanks for the advice. I also thought of discussing the issue with the principal once we are there - I'm holding thumbs that he will see it fit that my son do Grade 7 next year and see how he progresses before advancing him to Grade 8.

Am sure that the principals are familiar with the upheaval kids go through changing countries and schooling systems and will be understanding of your worries. I am not sure if you already know what school you will enrol your son in, if so how about contacting the school now and finding out what their policy is with regard to those sorts of issues (age versus class). Perhaps even if you contact some schools anyway before you actually land in Australia and just get some info it will help set your mind at rest, and your son's too.

Our children skipped a grade. We were told they preffer the children in age appropriate classes, and would do what ever they could (extra lessons etc) to keep them there.

They both are doing very well at school. it was possibly a bit uneasy for the first few months but you will see the schools have good facilities and our children end up doing quite a bit of internet and library research. They were so happy they have 11 years at school :ilikeit:

By contrast someone we know insisted his children stayed back a year. He motivates that they need to change language and culture as well as skip grades. Personally I think it was not the right thing to do, as there are many Afrikaans speakers at the school who struggled and bumped along for the first few months and then got into it a are doing great. He gets a bit annoyed because they speak english at home a lot, but is also happy they adjusted.

Childrena re far more adaptable and able to cope with change than we understand. I met an Australian who had been to 38 differnt schools and still got an OK education and is employed doing what he likes.

(His dad was a carpenter, and they moved whereever the work was)

I say try skip a grade. Monitor closely and if after 6 months they are struggling then consider changing. Even if they scrape through in the first year, by the end of the next they will be sailing :ilikeit:

We did the skipping of a year from Grade 3 in SA to Grade 5 in OZ.

Our son was one of the top in the class in SA - so we didn't think it a problem.

But we were wrong - he really battled and I think it was mostly because everything was new and he had more than work to catch up on - he had new friends etc. to make. Admittedly he is in a school that has a reputation for high academics. He did okay at the end of the year (came middle of class), but it was extremely hard work and on a maturity level we just felt that he was trying to keep up with the other boys, rather than leading. I have always believed that school should be a fun place of learning - it should be easy not hard. So we decided to keep him back to repeat Year 5. Best decision we have ever made - he is comfortable with his peers now - is a leader and popular - does really well at school and has been enrolled into a gifted and talented program as well etc. etc. Basically by keeping him back he got the chance to catch his breath, find his footing and shine.

SA children are not as street wise as Aussie kids - i.e. I find our kids are still a little innocent (sometimes) - or at least that was the case with us. If in doubt - then stick to your gut feel - don't jump a year - keep your kids in the same year they would have been in SA - that way you will make school easy for them and eliminate at least one stress from their life. Besides - do you really want your kids to finish school so young? I have also found that the schools are very different to SA - there is a big variation in ages - so the age thing is not a big deal over here (or at least that is what I found in Queensland).

A teacher also made a comment to me which I thought very prudent - she has never seen a child damaged from staying back but seen many kids damaged from the pressures of being pushed ahead when not ready. Rather do it now than find out in high school that you should have done it then.

Good luck

A teacher also made a comment to me which I thought very prudent - she has never seen a child damaged from staying back but seen many kids damaged from the pressures of being pushed ahead when not ready. Rather do it now than find out in high school that you should have done it then.

Wow, this teacher really nailed it. I get the impression that many children are given the opportunity or are coaxed by their parents to rather stay back and redo a Grade and that the kids seem to be OK with that, not like in SA where society has branded you the name of "loser" when you redo a Grade.

Once our visas have been approved or my husband gets a job offer, whichever is the first, I'll contact some schools and find out what their opinion on the matter is and what would be the best solution for both our kids. Hopefully we could come to some agreement, but as far as I can see, the Ozzie schools seem to be very helpful in getting your child the best education and helping them settling in in their new school and country.

We did the skipping of a year from Grade 3 in SA to Grade 5 in OZ.

A teacher also made a comment to me which I thought very prudent - she has never seen a child damaged from staying back but seen many kids damaged from the pressures of being pushed ahead when not ready.

Our children were grade 3 and 6 in South Africa. So one went straight to high school, the other to grade 5. The first few months was a bit heavy going, but now they are both doing much better than South Africa. They were in a Govmt school in RSA with about 40 per class, but here they are in a private school with small classes of 20 or so.

I guess it shows, each individual is different and the only way to find out is to try.

I get the impression that many children are given the opportunity or are coaxed by their parents to rather stay back and redo a Grade and that the kids seem to be OK with that, not like in SA where society has branded you the name of "loser" when you redo a Grade.

Definately very very different to SA. It was 100% our decision. His marks were not an issue - but we could just see that he was "trying" to be something he wasn't. We were amazed at how nice everyone was about it.

The teacher called us during the holidays to see if he wants to get together before the year starts and discuss any concerns. His comments to us were - "the tension about staying behind - lasts exactly until lunch time of the first day" - and he was so right. What really blew my mind were his old class mates that had moved up, waiting outside his classroom for him at break time first day to join them for some sports. The difference now isn't just that he got through and did well. It is that he has had the best year of his life and like he said to me last weekend - loving life! There is more to school than just the academics. It was hard for us to make that decision - but fortunately we realised that it was us having an issue about what people would think - rather than thinking 100% about him.

You are right - there is a south african stigma/pride - it doesn't exist here (I imagine it could be a problem in high school). Do what's right for your child and don't worry about what anyone thinks because that won't be a problem.

Thanx for the great advice Nics! I must say, I feel a lot calmer about the whole thing, though I know it might be a different story once we actually get to that point. I feel better knowing that there are more options and better support systems and that they actually care about the kids' education and not the fact that they should get out of school as fast as possible - like in SA where you are not allowed to fail a child anymore. He/she must be put in the next Grade, whether they actually "failed" or passed the previous year - what a load of rubbish!

Thanx again!

• 3 weeks later...

hi All - we are looking at immigrating to Adelaide at the end of next year - my son eldest son will be six in October next year and if we were still here would start grade1 at the beginning of 2009. i have been told that they start a bit earlier in Oz???