Biltong in Burnside

Dax

:) I just got back from Burnside Shopping Centre and a visit to theshop thatsells biltong there.

The actually had Kangaroo Biltong today and IMHO it tastes first class! (Tastes a bit like Kudu biltong)

If you go there, just look for the thin, quite dry strips displayed on the counter. There are other sliced biltong as well but that is beef biltong.

Oh Ja, there was droe wors as well.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi,

While on my LSD trip to Sydney I went to a shopping centre in St Ives and it was like being at home. South Africans all over and all the best SA goods available. Boerewors, droe wors, Mrs Balls etc. I asked the lady at the bakery for long rolls and her response was "Are you looking for boerie rolls"

I saw fresh packed Kangaroo too but I was not sure about it. Locals told me that it is fine to eat. I suppose if the biltong tastes like Kudu how bad can it be?

Cheers,

Craig

Dax,

We were in Burnside shopping centre today and got some pieces of biltong at that shop, we have done so in the past also. We however did not know it is Kangaroo !! My wife is now utterly disgusted, although she liked it this morning and the previous times. You see, we still have a bit of a mental block to eat Kangaroo meat....if we know what is is I suppose :ilikeit: .Well, in any case, it is quite nice, we'll be back for more Skippy (for the benifit of others that might now know, locals sometimes call Kangaroo Skippy ) biltong in the future. Kangaroo meat is eaten commonly here in Australia, although I must admit I havent eaten it in any other way than biltong, well...not knowingly in any case.... The biltong does have a bit of Kudu taste yes, similar texture also.Yes they also have droe wors, these are more like cabanossi if you ask me, but OK. I also noted they have South African boerewors, for $ 13,95 per kilo, which is to the top end of what you would normally pay for South African style wors around Adelaide. I havent tried it yet, but will in the future so see if it wort a return. I am also making my own biltong soon, I might now include some skippy meat in there also to see what it comes out like, certainly cheaper than steak....

Hi Marius,

Skippy” biltong tastes quite nice and the Burnside variant is quite OK, although I must say that the Butcher in Glynburn Road that closed down, (unfortunately), made excellent Kangaroo biltong.

According to another Saffer (not on this forum), the similarities in the taste of Kangaroo & Kudu biltong could be ascribed to the fact that both animals are nibblers, and although living on two different continents, tends to eat the same types of food in the line of shrubs, grass seeds, young leaves etc.

Ja, we will be back for more Skippy biltong as well, but it is a bit expensive. It is a bit difficult to cut or “kerf”. I think I’ll try to get a small piece of railway track (about 15cm long) and use it as a miniature anvil to whack it with a hammer or mallet into softer, almost powdered pieces. That is the way I always prepared Kudu or Springbok biltong for easy, teeth-friendly eating in South Africa.

The boerewors that they have is the same as the type one gets from Barrossa Shop in the Central Market. We found it OK, but still prefer the boerewors from guy in Parkholme or Brian’s in Glenelg. We once found boerewors at a butcher in Aldgate, but did not like it at all.

I have ordered Kangaroo steak a few times in restaurants and it tasted OK. I can’t say what it tasted like really, only that it did not have that wild, raw taste like with Springbok or Impala. It could have had something to do with marinating beforehand.

Lekker eet!

Cheers,

Dax

Hmmm, sounds Yummy. I was just wondering about thier version of biltong. I will definatley be getting me some of that.

Thanks for the info