Budgeting for food on Adeliade LS(D) trip

Karl and Nanette

We are busy planning our LS (D) -already decided- trip to Adelaide. We will be self catering two meals a day and eating out once a day, at affordable restaurants. How much should we budget for food per day, for 2 adults and 2 pikininis, more or less?

Thanks again!

Nanette

Karl and Nanette,

Very difficult question as peoples tastes differ, here is my best estimate:

Self carering - about $ 30 per day for the 4 people, depending what you like to eat.

Eat out - that can vary, but I would say for a average meal $ 15 per person in say a hotel ( pub ) style meal which is normally very good value for money. Many cafe's have $ 9,90 specials for a full meal per person. Then everage starting at maybe $ 20 or more per person in a reasonably affordable restaurant.Much more of course for real fine dining, which I never go for in any case personally, over priced and over rated.

The above is however a rough guide, could me less if you go more basic or more if you get more extravagant. One MUST is fish and chips in Glenelg out in the open on the grass at the beach or on a park bench at or near sunset. It is an insitution for us at least once week, it is cheap, top quality and they wrap it in old school paper.

Hope that helps !

Marius

Nanette!

I notice that you seem to be counting the pennies in life when you consider questions like "how much to feed a family in Adelaide on a trip there?"

If you have made the big decision in your lives to give your kids and yourselves a fresh start in life in a new country, why are you spending your hard earnt money on coming to a place where you've already decided to relocate to??

I don't quite understand.

My best advice is to not worry about feeding the family on a trip here . . . . rather spend your money on getting over here and setting up shop in Adelaide.

If you don't like it, after a couple of years, then Australia is big enough to cater for all sorts of lifestyles and you can easily go to another part of Australia for a different one.

Does that make more sense? . . . or not??

I have never been to Australia before, but we are coming to Adelaide early next year. I just have this feeling it will all work out. Some people here in South Africa think I'm crazy to move to a place I've never been before, but I agree with Bob - if you have decided to go to Aus, then you might be wasting a great deal of money to go have a look.

I have in my work visited many countries, but never been to Australia before i moved here boots and all with my family in October 2005.We landed here with book, TV, friends and general knowledge of Adelaide and Australia in general. I can honestly say it was the best thing we have ever done, the move here. We love it here and even the prospect of a visit in SA is not even on our horison for at least a few years. So, if you want to make it work and move here for the right reason it will work out, with or wiothout the LSD.

But I can understand people want to first come have a look, it is a big move and some like to get first hand experience before committing 100%. Personally I did not need to, I committed mentally 110% before I left, but I can appreciate some might need the assurance.

Guest Bronwyn

Hey Nanette

It is truly quite expensive to eat out here with Rands. If I were you I would try and do three meals a day at home, and then eat out when you want to spoil yourselves, or you are away from your base and haven't packed anything.

The prices vary wildly, so it is quite hard to say what you can expect to spend. Take-aways range from about $7 to $12, depending if you take the 'meal' option. Fasta Pasta, a pasta place that compares to Mimmos, does mains for adults at around $18-$26 and kids meals for around $7, which includes a small drink and ice-cream cone. It is generally a lot more expensive if you sit down to eat, and get served. If you want to save money, the minestrone soups are usually around $6 and you get a full plate with bread, etc. :ilikeit: (Nice & healthy too!). Potato wedges with sour cream and sweet chillie sauce are huge and cheap too, but not so healthy... You can expect to pay around $3 for a soft drink and $6.50 for a beer or small glass of wine.

Remember when you get here, it is usual to go up to the counter, order and pay first. You take your table number with you or the cashier will allocate you one. Then you go & sit down and wait for your food to be brought. If you want more things, you go up and pay again. If you sit and wait for a waitress to arrive first, as we do in South Africa, you will be there all night. A small % of places actually send the waitresses to you, it is quite unusual.

You must definitely have the fish & chips on the beach in Glenelg though, it's not to be missd. :ilikeit:

We did 2 x LSD's - one in 1997 when I was pregnant and had a 2 year old. We had NO money for it. We hired a camper van and slept in in and drove all over, Sydney, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, Canberra, Melbourne. We ate Rice Bubbles (Rice Crispies) for breakfast out of tea cups, and packed cheese sandwiches when we went out for the day. We had a lovely holiday, but when it was time to fly home after 3 weeks I cried from relief and homesickness, and I told my husband I could never live here. The people were just too different. 8 years later we did a second LSD, and I realised I was not mentally ready before, although financially I wish we did move 8 years ago, we would be a lot further along than we are now.

Good luck, and be sure to give us a shout when you arrive! :D

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

My Advice is to book in to self catering type accomodation rather than hotels, this way you do not need to eat out at all and these places have stoves, pots pans plates etc, usually called apartments or holiday appartments, that way its simply cereal for breakfasts sanwichwiches, cold meats for lunch and a reasonably decent cooked meal in evening and the cost will not be expensive at all.

A typical take away meal varies in pric e from $6 - $12 on average a meal out not including drinks is on average $25.00 ($16 - $30)

Large pizza anything from $5.50 - $12.00 from chain pizza shops

1 minute nood;es are about $1.20

The figure of $50.00 per day for 2 adults and 2 kids sounds like a sensible figure to me but this is totally self catering with care. $100 if you want to splash out.

Good luck

Des

If you've made your minds up to spend and come on a holiday to see Adelaide, the cheapest way has got to be to get hold of a tent and camp in a caravan park for the week.

You'll be able to shower and sleep at the caravan park in the time here.

Get hold of a cutlery set + plates and brekkie bowls.

A Trangia set which uses meths is a good cooker to knock your food up in and keep costs right down.

When we travelled around Britain and Europe last year, we camped and ate out . . . no flash restaurants . . . and we covered a fair bit of ground with minimal cost, eating well all the time.

We bought our food from day to day in the supermarkets and just cooked it up that evening, buying a bottle of wine or whatever for the evening, so we didn't deprive ourselves completely :ilikeit:

Edited by Bob

Thank you Marius - this helps tremendously - we have no idea what to expect! The calculator is working over time..but the Glenelg Fish & Chips is a definite.

Hi Bob /Renierpret!

What you are saying makes absolute sense - but things are a bit tricky at the moment, time-wise. We will have to activate our visas (all four of us) by a certain time, but we aren't ready to settle permanently yet by that time, for various reasons, such as elderly and very sick parents, who we would like to spend more time with before we leave for good. So we should make the most of our activation trip! We will, however be on a very tight budget and are definitely thinking of going the camping route! Thanks for the tip! :(

Bronwyn!

Thanks for the advice - we will definitely use this as a guideline...I'm getting really excited to get there! I think we will pack our picnic lunches if we're going to be on the road. I think what you say about having to be mentally ready, is truly important. We would leave in a heartbeat if we could, but have decided to stick it out here for a while longer - we need abit of closure on certain things... :)

Hi Des

50 dollar aday seems reachable. Thank you! This forum is the best... :ilikeit:

Nanette

Karl and Nanette,

If you are in the area, give me a buzz, maybe we can arrange a braai and a cold beer or a drop of local South Aussie wine here at my place. Mahala of course, same for the bits of info about Adelaide and Australia over a beer, gratis.Just bring a smile and the right attitude towards my home country, Australia that is....

Thanks Marius

Will definitely be a priority on our to-do list. Appreciate the invite!

Nanette & Karl :ilikeit:

When you arrive to get your visas activated, you can also apply for medicare and apply for tax file numbers. the date you actually get your visa stamped in Australia will always be known as your date of arrival,

Des

Karl and Nanette,

No worries, also feel free to use my intenet and phone as much as you like, we always have one of those cheap callling cards around so you can call to SA for hours and I have unlimited internet access if you want to catch up on e-mails etc.

For some awesome sandwiches (and other fresh foods) make sure you visit the Adelaide market.

Good luck.

Alan

Thanks Marius for the generous offer.

Hi Alan - made a note in my "planner" to visit the market!

Ciaou :ilikeit:

Nanette

Marius has hit the nail on the head - easy peasy, you just eat at one of your fellow SAAussies each night! :):whome:

Let us know when you come and we'll arrange something

Yup, thats the hint :ilikeit:, well spotted. I can volunteer for more than 1 turn to, just let me know when you are here, no worries.