CV Cover letters?

Chantelle D

What would one include in the letter? See lot of jobsites give you the option?

Chantelle

Basically, as subject heading the reference used in the advert, ie

BOOKKEEPER/OFFICE MANAGER

Where and in what you saw the ad. That you feel your past experience has given you the ability to do this particular job.

Perhaps say that you have been an Office Manager/Bookkeeper for a construction company for the past 10 years and have certainly gained valuable experience that will stand you in good stead if you were successful in being chosen for the position.

That you look forward to an opportunity in further discussing your application.

Just something simple and straight forward, but it must pertain to the particular job that you are applying for.

Hi

I would use the cover letter as a very brief introduction to yourself and your experience, it needs to be written in such a way that the reader will want to read your resume it needs to grab their attention, they must read it and feel you are the person they are looking for, your resume will just help them with the arguments or reasons for employing you.

Hope this helps

Des

Hi

I would use the cover letter as a very brief introduction to yourself and your experience, it needs to be written in such a way that the reader will want to read your resume it needs to grab their attention, they must read it and feel you are the person they are looking for, your resume will just help them with the arguments or reasons for employing you.

Hope this helps

Des

Thanks all..

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Chantelle

Ensure that cover letter is job specific. Customise your coveering letter for each specific job that you are applying for.

In your letter focus on the skills (skills set) and experience that you have that align with the skills and experience required for that specific job.

Most cover letters that we see are "too general" (not job specific), and therefore in my opinion, meaningless and probaby worthless.

Hope this helps.

regards

Manny

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Is it advisable to include details of sponsorship required (457) in the cover letter? I have stated my citizenship (RSA) in the body of my CV... is it best to not highlight the sponsorship requirement too much until you have got their attention?

Any recommendations?

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I think it would be a good idea to state it up front, it's what I did, then you won't be wasting your time or theirs if they can't help you. And you can get their direct attention by calling them up, and telling them what you're looking for or responding to (tho that does mean staying up late/getting up early).

It also means (and I base this on personal experience) that you'll usually get an immediate response. If you engage with them, it's far more likely they'll remember you than if yours is just one in a pile of CVs to sort through. You can always mail your CV and covering letter through to them as soon as you hang up the phone (and while you're still fresh in their minds, and that way you know that in most cases, someone will look at it within a few minutes. Even if it's just to glance at it, it means you've been able to jump the queue).

Good luck! :whome: