School Fees on a 136 Skilled Independent Visa

M&Z

We have applied for a 136 skilled independent visa and are currently waiting for the visa. From what we understand, this visa qualifies you as a permanent resident and therefore free government schooling. Are we correct? :ilikeit:

We have applied for a 136 skilled independent visa and are currently waiting for the visa. From what we understand, this visa qualifies you as a permanent resident and therefore free government schooling. Are we correct? :ilikeit:

If you mean the 175 visa, yes you don;t have to pay for public schooling and can also apply for medicare in Aus

I think there is still a small amount of fes to pay, might well be voluntary and about $50.00 per term but yes as a PR you can even claim some benefits if your income is low.

Cheers

Des

I think there is still a small amount of fes to pay, might well be voluntary and about $50.00 per term but yes as a PR you can even claim some benefits if your income is low.

Cheers

Des

Once again - thanks for the information Des. We don't mind paying towards school fees but knowing that we don't have to fork out major bucks is a relief. The unknown plays on the mind and nerves!!!

You will find what you are looking for if you search the following: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...ons-outside.htm

You will see the various options available to you for skilled independent visa's.

Below is an extract. I have bolded the particular section at the end that answers your question.

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

About this Visa How this Visa Works Eligibility Obligations Applying for this Visa

About this visa

This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia.

This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.

You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you:

are under 45 years of age

have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

The SOL is a list of skilled occupations that are in need in Australia. Each occupation listed on the SOL is allocated a points value for use in the visa assessment process.

See: Form 1121i Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL) (129KB PDF file)

How much does this visa cost?

You must pay the relevant visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.

See: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants

What does this visa let me do?

This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

live and work in Australia on a permanent basis

study in Australia at school or university

receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)

access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)

be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)

sponsor

Best of luck!

Craig :D

We have applied for a 136 skilled independent visa and are currently waiting for the visa. From what we understand, this visa qualifies you as a permanent resident and therefore free government schooling. Are we correct? :P

P.S.

My sister stays more than a few km's from her kiddies school and because of this they get a free bus pass every term from the state.