IGNITE schools

Guest Seeya

Q1, please: Can anybody shed some light on the ignite schools that I read about on the internet? I am sure all schools provide the same possibilities for children. Will IGNITE schools really provide more chances than others?

Q2, please: Do all schools provide music classes (piano / violin) ?

Thanx 4 helping with info

Seeya

Edited by Seeya

I'm answering my own question after a lot of searching the net, and add the answer to help someone who comes across this post.

This is the IGNITE program website www.igniteprogram.com

This is what IGNITE schools offer:

Gifted and Talented students are referred to in Australia as IGNITE. The program enables gifted and talented students to accelerate their learning. The future of the successful programs at Aberfoyle Park High School, Glenunga International High School and The Heights secondary schools has been assured with a funding commitment of $1.03 million.

Many other South Australian schools are now able to offer gifted programs by accessing the resources and expertise of the three Ignite lighthouse schools. The continuation of the program will enable our gifted and talented students to pursue their special interests and provide many opportunities for their personal development.

The keywords were "gifted and talented students" and now it is easy for me to decide that I do not need a school with this specific scenario.

Seeya

Hy Seeya,

Children have to do a test to be considered for the IGNITE program on one of those schools. Basically, it's an IQ test. The whole school does not follow the program, they just have a class in each year for those kids who qualify. Glenunga is a brilliant school.

All schools will offer access to music lessons through the peripatetic music teachers service. The kids can do lessons in a variety of different instruments and if your kid is interested in a perticular instrument, the school will contact the music services and see whether they can get a teacher to visit the school to offer that instrument (if there is enough interest). Some popular instruments can be taught in groups, which will be cheaper. Current prices are $22-26 per 30 min individual lesson, $16 per group lesson. Piano is often only available privately, not all schools are able to offer this. This will be at the teacher's house and can be up to $50 per lesson. The schools that offer music programmes are Maryattville and Brighton High schools. Students have to audition for this program and get a certain number of music lesson included in their school fees and a reduced fee for a second instrument. It's definitely worth investigating if you have a musically talented child, as both schools are excellent and highly sought-after. You do not have to be in the zone for the school if the student is accepted on the special music program (that goes for IGNITE schools as well).

I wouldn't say that all schools in Australia are necessarily good, nor that all schools offer the same possibilities. Choose carefully.. and that goes equally for both private and public schools. You will probably also want to keep in mind who your kids will be errrm... be mixing with ;) although this won't be much of a problem in the areas you are looking at.

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I prefer to avoid elite schools and schools where money buys everything - had enough of that in RSA. I want my kids (whom I see as bright, but not to the extent of the IGNITE type), to LIVE and enjoy school without unusual pressure.

As soon as we have relocated and start searching, I will ask this forum's help again on specific schools. This is a hub of info.

Thanx

Seeya